Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/21/2021 12:35:53 PM EDT
Hey guys I'm buying my first gunsafe. Looking at this guy here that weighs 825lbs.  The spot id like to put it in would be in my bedroom which is in the middle of the house next to the wall.

My house is a 60yo brick ranch. The safe would be directly on top of an I beam that bisects the middle of my house and is set in the foundation.  It would also be over 2 two by eight floor joists.

Is this enough support for a safe of this weight or would that be too much?
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 12:40:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Itll be fine.  No worries if close to or on top of a load supporting beam.  Even better if over top of an intersecting wall below.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 12:43:38 PM EDT
[#2]
There aren't any walls in my basement but the I beam is supported by vertical I beams.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 12:47:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a 1200 pound safe on my first floor. I added a support post directly underneath it in the basement for peace of mind.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 12:53:45 PM EDT
[#4]
It will be fine. My master shower has over 2000 lbs of granite, mud bed, concrete board, thin set, and tile.

I'm admittedly worried for it as it's right above the joists that the electricians turned to swiss cheese for all the romex.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 1:19:46 PM EDT
[#5]
It will be fine.  If you are still worried, place a 4x4 support beam underneath.  For comparison, a bath tub when in use can have 1500 pounds of combined weight.

18Z50
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 4:53:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Ok thanks guys.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top