Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2020 6:09:28 PM EDT
Where would you guys start looking if you wanted to move a 3000lb TL30x6 from Miami to Virginia?

Are there companies that do this sort of thing?
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 6:47:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Generally speaking one would hire a safe company on one end to package and load it, a freight company to haul it, and then another safe company at the destination to receive it.

It is typically expensive to do this.  Do you have any specific attachment to the safe?  May make more sense to sell it and buy another when you get to where you're going.
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 6:10:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Are you moving as well?
If so then have riggers load it on the moving truck and have local riggers off load and place it in the new place and bolt it down.
I should not be a big deal if the truck is moving the contents of a house anyway.
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 11:52:20 AM EDT
[#3]
If you can strap it to a pallet, and you have garage access with a pallet jack, you can ship it common carrier.  That's what I did when moving Maryland to Florida.  Driver picked it up with the pallet jack, rolled onto a liftgate, and into the truck.  Delivered the same way.  That's a big boy though, mine was around 2,000 pounds.
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 10:37:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you can strap it to a pallet, and you have garage access with a pallet jack, you can ship it common carrier.  That's what I did when moving Maryland to Florida.  Driver picked it up with the pallet jack, rolled onto a liftgate, and into the truck.  Delivered the same way.  That's a big boy though, mine was around 2,000 pounds.
View Quote

Awesome. Thanks for the advice everyone.

I guess the plan is to hire a safe company to get it outside and on to a pallet. Looks like the dynamic load for a new pallet is about 3,800lbs.

Then hire a common carrier to pick it up and drop it off at the new place.

Then hire another safe company at the new place to get it off the pallet and inside.

One other weird question - how do you find a reputable safe moving place? Always seems weird letting someone know exactly where your safe is and what kind it is!
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 11:19:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Then hire a common carrier to pick it up and drop it off at the new place.
View Quote

Unless you have a loading dock or a forklift on site to load, most carriers will not pick up 3,000 pounds.  Too much for a single driver and/or their lift gates

One other weird question - how do you find a reputable safe moving place? Always seems weird letting someone know exactly where your safe is and what kind it is!
View Quote

Not the end all be all, but I'd go to savta.org.  Click on "safe tech search" at the top, enter your zip code with a large radius, and look through the descriptions for those who say they move safes.

Link Posted: 8/8/2020 12:39:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I'll take a swag at 2x1000 on each end and 0-1000 to ship depending on if it goes with your stuff.
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 4:33:42 PM EDT
[#7]
A Shorer moves heavy things.  They charge a lot.

My safe is around 2200 lbs.  I rented a forklift, loaded it on a Ryder truck, and then rented another forklift on the other end to unload.

I used two pallet jacks to move the safe around, a Johnson bar, plywood to protect the carpet, and sets of wood cribbing to get the safe up and down.

There were no stairs involved.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top