Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2018 12:00:26 PM EDT
I have a decoy RSC that I keep some low-value items in to hopefully take the brunt of an attack if a thief wants to try his hand at opening a safe... to keep them busy and not focused on where the real valuables lie... that being said, it still contains things of some value, that I occasionally use and I don't want openly accessible etc.

Anyways, the digital lock failed (it's a cheap one) and the backup key was misplaced in a move... and I needed something out of that safe for a Women's Range Day I was hosting at my private range...

I had 1-1/2 hrs before start time of the range day... I pulled it off in 20 minutes.

Had I not cared about completely destroying the RSC I could've done it in less than half the time. But I cared about the items in the safe at least a little bit and I wanted to maintain the integrity of the safe making for an easy repair. I also didn't want to make a massive mess so I was holding a shop-vac hose between my legs to catch most of the metal shavings and gypsum dust.

I removed the digital lock, used a hole-saw to drill an access hole. Then, like an amateur (even though I knew better), I tried drilling the mount-studs for the key lock and then punching it out. I likely did irreparable damage to the key lock (haven't had time to inspect that one yet). That failed so I went to a different approach. I could see where the bolt-mechanism reinforcements were welded onto the inner steel layer of the door, I simply drilled the welds from the back side then I hit the "bolt actuating arm" with a hammer and punch to bend it out of engagement with the lock mechanism. Door handle opened just as smoothly as if I had unlocked it the proper way. To fix I just have to re-weld those welds and spot back in some sheet metal to cover the hole; the digital lock will completely mask the area I attacked. As a matter of fact, with the digital lock put back on the safe there is ZERO visual sign the safe was attacked, not even from the inside. Had it been a smart criminal that did it instead of myself it may have taken me a LONG time to notice it had been compromised.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 10:43:56 PM EDT
[#1]
What gauge of steel?

What type of drill / hole saw?
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 9:59:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
What gauge of steel?

What type of drill / hole saw?
View Quote
I'm not sure gauge...it's a "no-name" I got on a blowout sale for less than $400. It's maybe 1/8" ... but really, even 1/4" can be drilled with a holesaw, just add a couple more minutes...

Drill: 18v Dewalt Cordless, didn't even use up a full battery
Holesaw: Porter Cable regular bi-metal holesaw that can be bought for $5
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 10:04:44 AM EDT
[#3]
If you don't care about the condition of the safe (or many of the contents) I would bet damn near any RSC or "safe" could be entered quickly. Home tools work, but a gas cut off saw, angle grinder with a few discs, sawz-all, etc can all make short work of most of the things people buy to keep guns safe. that's why I think the layered approach is where it's at. hard to get in the house, hard to find the good stuff, tools not nearby, neighbors, cameras, etc.

I realized while safe shopping I had enough stuff in my garage to get into anything I could reasonably afford
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 11:57:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes!  Don't pre-install safe cracking tools in your house or garage.  I keep the batteries to my drills and saws in the safe, along with the crow bars, axes, etc.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 1:32:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes!  Don't pre-install safe cracking tools in your house or garage.  I keep the batteries to my drills and saws in the safe, along with the crow bars, axes, etc.
View Quote
You either: #1 Don't have enough guns, #2 Don't have enough tools, or #3 Took the "buy more than you need" approach overboard if you can fit all your guns AND tools that could be used to crack a safe in the safe...
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 4:01:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm not sure gauge...it's a "no-name" I got on a blowout sale for less than $400. It's maybe 1/8" ... but really, even 1/4" can be drilled with a holesaw, just add a couple more minutes...

Drill: 18v Dewalt Cordless, didn't even use up a full battery
Holesaw: Porter Cable regular bi-metal holesaw that can be bought for $5
View Quote
Even some decent safes are not 1/8" thick. My Browning is 10 gauge body and feels solid, that should be 0.14". Most cheap safes are 14 gauge or 12 gauge on ~$800 models. They will deflect when you hit them with your palm.

I have a cheap Stack On safe that had a rifle box fall and block the transfer bar keeping me from unlocking it. I keep trying to find another way in but when I drilled the back of it to attach to the studs it was a joke. All I probably have to do is drill a small hole so I can push back the box but I keep hoping the jiggle method will work out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top