Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2018 10:58:42 PM EDT
The curse has struck.  
I will be moving into an apartment soon, maybe 1-1.5 months from now.  Security is one of my big concerns, and I need some help putting together some options (I am WAY out of my element here...)

Wish list:
2-3 wireless cameras, preferably battery powered, with cloud storage and some sort of video notification or remote monitoring.
Door sensors, probably for standard and sliding glass doors, also wireless and battery powered.
Glass break sensors, motion sensors,
A system to tie it all together and permit remote management of and monitoring by myself and perhaps a professional alarm monitoring service.
Several things I haven't thought of...

I can dedicate a PC to the cause if necessary.  
Remote monitoring is preferably done via android device.
Budget: $500-1000, not including the dedicated PC (if needed).

My main concern is a break-in when I am away.  At best I hope to interrupt it with an alarm.  If not, I hope to at least get footage of the event that can't be removed by swiping the camera or the computer tying it all together.  As this is an apartment,  I can't make permanent changes, hence the request for wireless and battery powered options.  Also, since I may move more than once or twice in search of a suitable living situation,  I want to be able to pull the components and reinstall in the next place.

I would normally do my own research and tie all of this together,  but there is no way I can get this done in time with all of the other crap I now have to do.  There are so many products out there, and I have no chance of weeding through them and putting a system that works correctly the first time.  Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 12:22:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Item #1 is to check all the closets to see if there's an access scuttle there. They frequently can be used to move between units. I had one and put a board across it.

I put a motion sensor on a lamp beside my door. This helps when I come home late at night; I don't have to fumble for a light switch. Also, it tells me if anyone is entering through the front door when I'm in bed. (It also covered the bay window beside the door.)

Go through the apartment with your landlord, pointing out things that need cleaning and/or repair. Then go through with a camera that'll record time & date. It's not surprising how much landlords will forget what was there and what wasn't.
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 10:14:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Look at Abode (goabode.com) for the alarm system, totally wireless, and you can either have full time monitoring, no monitoring, or just when you want it.  When you move you take it with you.  They do have cameras too
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 12:03:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Look at Abode (goabode.com) for the alarm system, totally wireless, and you can either have full time monitoring, no monitoring, or just when you want it.  When you move you take it with you.  They do have cameras too
View Quote
Nice!  This looks like a great setup,  exactly what I am looking for.   Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 3:49:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
Simplisafe is another good option to compare as well
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 3:51:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Simplisafe is another good option to compare as well
View Quote
They are anti-nra. Don’t give them business.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 4:41:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

They are anti-nra. Don’t give them business.
View Quote
That’s right, thanks - I recall that whole thing about pulling ads now
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top