Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2016 1:27:33 AM EDT
I'm looking for a lockable storage trunk to store some of my rifles/shotguns/ammo. I currently live in an apartment and am moving soon so I don't want to invest in a safe yet, trying to keep this reasonable ($200 or less).

I'm looking for a trunk that could store like 8 rifles and some other things that I can lock. Main purpose is an extra deterrent against thieves and so kids can't get a hold of any guns. Right now I have a really small safe that locks my handguns and ammo but I have several rifles/shotguns unsecured hidden underneath my bed (obviously unloaded).

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:29:49 AM EDT
[#1]
New or used jobsite box is the best bet for what your looking for.

Whats the longest overall length item you need to store.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:00:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
New or used jobsite box is the best bet for what your looking for.

Whats the longest overall length item you need to store.
View Quote

Longest item would probably be my Colt LE6920. I'd prefer to not have to break it down either so I can grab it fairly quick if I need it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 2:51:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Id just get the 48" rigid job box from home depot, its 280 ish.   Get a couple good 5 pin padlocks and call it a day.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:17:17 AM EDT
[#4]
I'll second the jobsite box. Check Craigslist. You could probably buy one used and flip it down the road for what you paid for it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:11:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'll second the jobsite box. Check Craigslist. You could probably buy one used and flip it down the road for what you paid for it.
View Quote

there no local ones less than $275 used. Also idk how discreet this thing would be on the floor of my bedroom lol
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:26:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Jobbox FTW.

Take the measurements to a seamstress and have them make a cover that hangs over it and a cushion to go on top.  Nobody will be any wiser of what it is.

I have one for ammo in my house (not covered)
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:23:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Jobbox FTW.

Take the measurements to a seamstress and have them make a cover that hangs over it and a cushion to go on top.  Nobody will be any wiser of what it is.

I have one for ammo in my house (not covered)
View Quote

That's a good idea
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:41:30 AM EDT
[#8]
I know you said you didn't want to invest in a safe yet, but you might take a look at the small modular safes that are available. If someone sees you bringing in a job box to your apartment, they will assume you are locking up something of value. If you bring in the modular safe (several pieces, each wrapped in cardboard) they just think you bought some cheap IKEA furniture.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:40:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Put a key lock on one of the closets.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:49:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I know you said you didn't want to invest in a safe yet, but you might take a look at the small modular safes that are available. If someone sees you bringing in a job box to your apartment, they will assume you are locking up something of value. If you bring in the modular safe (several pieces, each wrapped in cardboard) they just think you bought some cheap IKEA furniture.
View Quote

You could just put cardboard around the job box also if that's a concern.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:47:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Put a key lock on one of the closets.
View Quote

I thought about this but I'm short on space in my small apartment so I can't afford to dedicate an entire closet to this, plus I don't feel like hassling with a door lock everytime I wanna grab a coat.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top