Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2013 11:11:53 AM EDT
Interested in these two safes as "beginner" safes. Both are fire rated which is really a main concern. I like the idea of this being a deterrent as my "collection" doesnt justify a super expensive safe. I know the risks of a cheap safe but I know of greater risks of just have guns lay around. This will be bolted to a metal plate which is then bolted to the floor and wall in a closet. Both are $400.00 one at Dicks the other at Lowe's. Would the Centurion be better as it is made by liberty or is the F&S better? Anyone with experience in either or would be a great help!
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 11:13:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Interested in these two safes as "beginner" safes. Both are fire rated which is really a main concern. I like the idea of this being a deterrent as my "collection" doesnt justify a super expensive safe. I know the risks of a cheap safe but I know of greater risks of just have guns lay around. This will be bolted to a metal plate which is then bolted to the floor and wall in a closet. Both are $400.00 one at Dicks the other at Lowe's. Would the Centurion be better as it is made by liberty or is the F&S better? Anyone with experience in either or would be a great help!
View Quote

Unless you just flat out don't have the room, I always recommend a 60x30 safe as a starting point. Not much more money and you will find the extra space worth it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 11:24:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Unless you just flat out don't have the room, I always recommend a 60x30 safe as a starting point. Not much more money and you will find the extra space worth it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unfortunately, I don't have the room for where I am projecting to put it...
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 12:25:45 PM EDT
[#3]
you can get 10% off at lowes if you go to the post office and get a address change packet FWIW
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 12:57:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
you can get 10% off at lowes if you go to the post office and get a address change packet FWIW
View Quote

Thank You!

Also, I see the centurion 12 has new locking plates as opposed to the bars,  anyone think these are better that the bars? I would have to imagine with it being made by liberty it should be reliable?
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 1:41:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Some of the Centurian are CHI_COM imports. That said they are built to Liberty Specs and the locks are S&G and the fit and finish on mine was flawless.

I bought the largest safe I could fit through the doors. I'm not sorry either.

And while many lower end safes have weaknesses that can be exploited - Mine is now "built in" so that only the door is exposed. I figure it would take thieves a good 3 hours to cut thru whats in place with sledge hammers, saws all, and crow bars. That just gets you to the rear of the safe.

Plus there are hidden camers and remote located DVR systems - spend any time trying to get to any secure areas and I will have drivers license quality mug shots.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 3:18:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Would something like the Summit TS-13 work for you?  I was recently quoted a price right at $700 for this model.

http://summitsafes.com/teton.html
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 4:29:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Would something like the Summit TS-13 work for you?  I was recently quoted a price right at $700 for this model.

View Quote

TS-13 looks interesting! may fit the bill! Thank you. What would be the difference between something like this and the Centurion 14 (14 gauge) other than the extra 10 mins of fire protection and the 12 ga. steel   (would it warrant the extra $300)?

Link Posted: 7/21/2013 4:32:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Some of the Centurian are CHI_COM imports. That said they are built to Liberty Specs and the locks are S&G and the fit and finish on mine was flawless.

I bought the largest safe I could fit through the doors. I'm not sorry either.

And while many lower end safes have weaknesses that can be exploited - Mine is now "built in" so that only the door is exposed. I figure it would take thieves a good 3 hours to cut thru whats in place with sledge hammers, saws all, and crow bars. That just gets you to the rear of the safe.

Plus there are hidden camers and remote located DVR systems - spend any time trying to get to any secure areas and I will have drivers license quality mug shots.
View Quote

you will have to rip the whole floor up or knock down walls to get through the sides of my plans (not that a crook wouldn't go to these lengths) I am looking for fire protection and decent pry/theft. I know there is a trade off on these lower end units but I don't know I need an ocean's eleven  type safe (which was broken into anyways )
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 5:39:56 PM EDT
[#9]
It's hard to say if the Summit is a better safe that will offer better protection for your valuables.  It does have slightly thicker steel and a better listed fire rating. It is also UL listed as an RSC. Depending on which Liberty you're looking at that might not be the case. Personally I think I'd buy the Summit unless I just couldn't afford the extra money.

AMSEC has their little 5517 and Browning has the little LTD12 that might work for you. Sam's Club has a little Mesa listed online that might work for you too.

Quoted:

TS-13 looks interesting! may fit the bill! Thank you. What would be the difference between something like this and the Centurion 14 (14 gauge) other than the extra 10 mins of fire protection and the 12 ga. steel   (would it warrant the extra $300)?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 5:02:46 AM EDT
[#10]
I bought this safe from Lowes a little while back + 10% off.

It's pretty decent, the lock is not the best but it works. For the money it's good.

Offloaded it with my pickup and 3 other guys.

I would buy it again for a beginner safe. You can always upgrade later and use this one for magazines or other stuff.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_387167-10283-CN24-BKT_4294642645__?productId=3651544&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&facetInfo=
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:19:38 AM EDT
[#11]
The biggest problem with "starter" safes is that because of the low,generally sub $600 price,they do not use a U.L. rated lock and the bolt work is pretty much unsupported so they are quite easy to get into.
Point in case.
My first safe I ever bought cost me around $470.
It was an Amsec Highland 55x17.
The safe then (2003) was made out of 10 gauge steel and had a door made from 1/4 plate steel the it weighed close to 300 pounds.
Sounds good, right?
Problem is the lock is one of those non U.L rated three wheel combo locks so it has no relocker or for that matter lock protection.
A person does not even have to pry a safe like this because all you have to do is smash the combo lock and insert a screw driver or some other like tool and just open the safe.
Rather than spend $4-600 dollars on some 14 gauge easy to open safe you would be better served buying a 48" long or slightly larger 16 gauge contrators jobbox made by Ridgid,Greenlee,Knaak,etc.
It will probably be more secure too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top