Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/9/2009 6:34:39 AM EDT
Check out this video from jewelry store. Yes I am sure it was rated at least  TL15 and probably held that long.
http://www4.wsvn.com/news/articles/local/MI122925/

Link Posted: 6/9/2009 7:11:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, I saw that on the news. Diamond dealer. From what I understand, they disabled the security system.

Goes to show that if someone wants in bad enough, they'll do it. That said, I assume these people knew what they were doing, and brought all the right equipment. Not your standard street thug.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 8:58:46 AM EDT
[#2]
One thing to keep in mind when buying a TL 15/30 safe.
Unless it is a TL15/30 X6 the rating is only on the door. Not the Body.
A X6 safe is all 6 sides.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 7:40:20 PM EDT
[#3]
That's no TL-rated safe that I've ever seen. I'd be really curious to know exactly what safe that was.

Every TL15 I've ever cut had real steel plate layers at least 1/4" thick on the sides. That looks like the Amsec aggregate with concrete/carbide but it can't be since the cuts are so smooth.

That picture looks like thin sheetmetal. You can hear the sound of the plate they cut. Sheetmetal.

You're looking at less than $500 worth of tools to do that. It does NOT take a professional to cut something like that. Nor would it take "hours". More like 30 minutes or so.

Remember that when you're shopping for an RSC!
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 11:51:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Come to think of it, that sure seems like an inside insurance job to me.....

I can't even count how many jewelers are going out of business around here so it would certainly make sense....

I still want the make/model of that safe. Maybe it's a Sentry? lol....
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:41:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Fearme did you watch the video that came with this? Seriously you need to watch it. They have the guys that did it on video. In addition the insurance adjuster was on site and interviewed.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:10:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I watched it. Other than proving the steel used in that safe was garbage(for a frigging million-dollar jewel safe!), it didn't really show much. Looks like they might have plasma-cut the outer sheetmetal and then just used some abrasive wheels for the concrete and two cheesy sheetmetal inner liners.

Most jobs like that involve inside 'assistance'.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:10:20 AM EDT
[#7]
I doubt its is an inside job. They ended up cutting 2 holes in the roof because the first one was not in the jewelry shop. But I could be wrong.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top