Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 12:28:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I sold a gun on Gunbroker and shipped it to his FFL.
Six weeks later I have sign for a package.   It looks familiar but it isn't until I open it I realize it is the pistol I shipped six weeks earlier.

Took some time to figure out after I called the FFL.  A newb Postal Employee was making up rules.

I ship all guns requiring adult signature and addressed as follows.
Customer Name
c/o:  Gun Shop Name
123 Any Street, XX xxxxx

Newb employee insisted that 'Adult Signature' meant the adult on the label (buyer) had to sign for it.  There is such an option "Direct Signature", but that was not the service on the label.

Eventually the gun made it back to me, I spoke to FFL and I re-shipped it without a signature required.
The pistol was a Hammerli free pistol ($2000+) and buyer never missed it......
FFL said they had 20+ firearms waiting for the customer to pick up.  
Rich guy who traveled a lot.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 2:28:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Eventually the gun made it back to me, I spoke to FFL and I re-shipped it without a signature required.
The pistol was a Hammerli free pistol ($2000+) and buyer never missed it......
View Quote
Jesus.....At that point the customer might as well buy a safe to have at the business to store his guns lol
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 3:34:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
….I ship all guns requiring adult signature and addressed as follows.
Customer Name
c/o:  Gun Shop Name
123 Any Street, XX xxxxx

Newb employee insisted that 'Adult Signature' meant the adult on the label (buyer) had to sign for it.  There is such an option "Direct Signature", but that was not the service on the label.....
View Quote
And this is why you don't address a shipping label that way.
The shipment is TO THE LICENSEE, not the buyer/customer.
Putting the buyer/customers name on the label itself is never a good idea.
I've received packages marked that way and they wanted to know why I was trying to pick it up instead of "Customer Name".
I've also had a customer go to FedEx and attempt to sign for a package addressed exactly as you describe above. that would be a felony and FedEx doesn't give a crap because it has that persons name on the effing shipping label. Most firearm sellers send the buyer tracking info so they know where the box is, whether its been delivered or whether its sitting at a depot/hub/customer service center or post office.

Write it on the box.
Write it on the invoice.
Write it on the FFL you enclose.
Don't write customer name on the shipping label.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 3:58:17 PM EDT
[#4]

View Quote
Damn. Life the way it should be lived.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 10:35:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I've received packages marked that way and they wanted to know why I was trying to pick it up instead of "Customer Name".
I've also had a customer go to FedEx and attempt to sign for a package addressed exactly as you describe above. that would be a felony and FedEx doesn't give a crap because it has that persons name on the effing shipping label. Most firearm sellers send the buyer tracking info so they know where the box is, whether its been delivered or whether its sitting at a depot/hub/customer service center or post office.

Write it on the box.
Write it on the invoice.
View Quote
Yeah, putting the customers name on the shipping label will eventually cause problems.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 11:23:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Idiots at CMP put the customers name on the package.  When I went to the FedEx hub to pick it up they wouldn't give it to me.  The next day they delivered it to my office.....
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 2:30:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yeah, putting the customers name on the shipping label will eventually cause problems.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Write it on the box.
Write it on the invoice.
I have shipped over 1000 guns exactly as described.  All via USPS priority.
Single problem has been one newb postal employee making up rules.

You do it your way, I will do what works for me.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 4:19:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Write it on the box.
Write it on the invoice.
I've received over 20,000 firearms and have experienced problems multiple times because some nitwit didn't know how to address a fucking shipping label.
And how do you know there weren't problems on the 1,000 guns you shipped? You aren't the one having to unfuck the mistake.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 7:13:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I'm far from a Rich guy, but the reason I don't order more firearms on line and have them shipped to an FFL is that I always need to figure out when I can get time off work to pick the damn thing up.
I don't know when the seller is going to ship, how long it's going to be in transit, when the FFL is going to call.
I have to be slow at work, or really want something to order it.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 10:44:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm far from a Rich guy, but the reason I don't order more firearms on line and have them shipped to an FFL is that I always need to figure out when I can get time off work to pick the damn thing up.
I don't know when the seller is going to ship, how long it's going to be in transit, when the FFL is going to call.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Every firearm I ship has the buyers email address pasted into the USPS system.
They get an email when I ship that includes tracking information.
None of this rocket science.

Unless your customer doesn't want to pick up the gun.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 10:12:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
Find an FFL that has flexible hours, does transfers on the weekends or is close to your work.
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 5:42:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
One guy making his FFL store 20 guns for him to eventually come in? Hope its a full brick and mortar store with lots of storage capability.
Storing 20 guns for a regular  buyer would be challenging for your small FFL.
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 11:55:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
One guy making his FFL store 20 guns for him to eventually come in? Hope its a full brick and mortar store with lots of storage capability.
Storing 20 guns for a regular  buyer would be challenging for your small FFL.
View Quote
I'm home-based and had 21 go out on one 4473.  Guy was deployed to the sandbox for almost a year, single, and had nothing else to spend his money on.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 6:20:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Every dealer who does firearm transfers should have a storage policy in place before he ever accepts his first transfer.

Mine is: "Any firearm not picked up within 30 days of arrival is subject to a $5 per day storage fee unless prior arrangements are made."

I don't have the policy to get a free gun, I have it so people will come pick up their damn gun in a timely manner. If the transferee responds to my email and tells me he's on vacation for the next two month or that he's deployed I don't charge a penny. It's the guys who never respond that are the problem.
After the storage fees exceed the value of the firearm I may sell it to recover my storage fee.
View Quote
As a customer I think this is 100% fair and not unreasonable at all.. .
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 10:48:20 AM EDT
[#15]
This thread coming to the top reminded me.

I did a quick inventory check against my logbook a couple of days ago.   I don't keep a large inventory, but every so often I compare inventory to logbook to catch any mistakes.  (So far, none found!)

It did bring to my attention that I have a rifle boxed up and ready to ship.
Buyer in CA sent me his C&R, but CA now requires all C&R to go to an 01 FFL for transfer to the 03.

Buyer paid but after a couple of months of reminders to send an 01 I put it in the back of my shipping 'closet' when I went to visit my Dad in May.   Forgot to pull it out when I got home at the end of June.
Been boxed up since March......

Time for another email.  
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 10:56:26 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm in Texas, he asked me to pick it up..................
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top