Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/18/2018 6:46:43 PM EDT
Hello All!

Please don't be sickened by what I am about to ask, it is what we have to deal with here in the "Unconstitutional State".

I am stuck behind the lines here in CT, but would really like to get a Tavor.  About the only way I can legally get one is: if someone would disable the gas system for me, and make it a straight pull.  Or, have someone remove the mag catch assembly, and bolt in a fixed magazine.  This is the magazine I was thinking of using:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018/01/09/compmag/

I know, I know, but I have a number of "real" rifles for serious work, I am just looking for a range toy in the Tavor.

What I wanted to know is this, is the SAR/X95 magazine well about the same depth as an AR?  This magazine is designed to work in the AR well, and I don't know if it will clear everything on a Tavor.

Also, has anyone had any experience with these magazines?  I have no problem paying $65 for one, but it must be reliable and durable.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 7:10:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Deleted.
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 11:38:41 AM EDT
[#2]
I’ll double check when I get home but I’m 90% sure the tavor magwells are shallower than ar ones.
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 7:45:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Just a quick hold my thumb against mag where it meets the magwell popping it out then sticking it in a ar the SAR and x95 mag wells are shallower. It should be fine as I’ve stuck that fat iwi polymer mag that came with the SAR pmags lancers Troy and usgi aluminum in mine no problem.

As for how it works or how well it’s made no idea you might want to see if Mr. google can find you a review or two.

Good luck
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 8:15:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Kali

Thanks for checking that out for me!  It blows that I have to try this, but at least this will allow me to own a Tavor, before they ban everything!

A local range has an SAR for rent.  If I get one of these magazines, I can try it out.  Then, if it doesn't work, all I'm out is $65!
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 10:31:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Definitely test these if you can - the Tavor's magazine well is finicky about some things. Mostly just drum magazines, but anything larger/longer than a STANAG magazine can give it fits.
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 3:40:57 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm surprised that no one suggested moving to a less infringing State, yet.

Anyhow, that mag was designed for Cali guns, where the ARs have to be modified so that the receiver halves of the weapon have to be separated in order to remove the magazine. Do you know if simply removing the Mag release lever on an SAR would meet the CT requirements? This way the gun would still hold this "magazine" in place, but wouldn't require any real modifications of the rifle body - such as a set screw to hold the mag in place.
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 6:09:05 PM EDT
[#7]
I too was waiting for the onslaught!  Maybe the spector of potential state, or even a federal AWB
makes people realize there is no running from this attack.

FFL holders can possess any firearm and magazine.  I have a local guy, who owns a  Tavor, looking into this.  If he can make it work, he is thinking of offering them for sale.
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 6:36:16 PM EDT
[#8]
People are usually pretty good in the tech forums. GD schenanigans don’t fly.

Depending on the rules you might want to see if you can put one of those mag lock things that used to be big in California where you needed a tool or tip of a bullet to drop the mag so it didn’t classify as a removable mag.

Looked it up bullet button or whatever. I don’t know your states laws but it might be an option.

https://www.bulletbutton.com/product-p/tvrbb.htm
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 7:16:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
People are usually pretty good in the tech forums. GD schenanigans don’t fly.

Depending on the rules you might want to see if you can put one of those mag lock things that used to be big in California where you needed a tool or tip of a bullet to drop the mag so it didn’t classify as a removable mag.

Looked it up bullet button or whatever. I don’t know your states laws but it might be an option.

https://www.bulletbutton.com/product-p/tvrbb.htm
View Quote
EDIT: I'm dumb, and didn't follow the link before commenting.

Not certain, but I assume that device will only work on the SAR?
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 1:55:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

EDIT: I'm dumb, and didn't follow the link before commenting.

Not certain, but I assume that device will only work on the SAR?
View Quote
I’m not sure. It would be best to contact the manufacturer to ask. I’d imagine it would be specific to either the SAR or x95 because the mag catch assemblies are different between the two. I just found that with a quick google search. I left CA in 07 for OSUT at fort Benning  and never returned so I never messed with any compliance devices personally.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 1:24:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Bump for curiousity
what happened?
Stuck up in NY for a bit longer and want an X95 before midterms
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 8:52:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Ditto on latest developments.

Why not check with the local range rental place.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top