Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/31/2013 11:53:24 AM EDT
Just a heads up. Steyr says this is the first time they have offered the 1 in 7 barrel.

My Steyr AUG is very accurate with the 1 in 9 barrel at 100 yards, so I will pass on this barrel.

http://www.steyrarms.com/store/index.php/16-steyr-aug-barrel-with-1-in-7-twist-rate.html
Link Posted: 10/31/2013 12:14:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I wonder if these are Steyr Austria CHF barrels or FN USA?

Tulip flash hiders on them like in the picture?

1:7 twist makes me conjecture they are FN...but I dunno
Link Posted: 10/31/2013 12:38:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Steyr has had 1/7 twist barrels in the past. The oft repeated misinformation that the AUG is only 1/9 twist is completely erroneous.

That said, these barrels are made by FN in the USA.

I would call PJS before paying full retail on them from Steyr... just a thought.
Link Posted: 10/31/2013 12:43:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Steyr has had 1/7 twist barrels in the past. The oft repeated misinformation that the AUG is only 1/9 twist is completely erroneous.

I would call PJS before paying full retail on them from Steyr... just a thought.
View Quote

I knew you would have the word ...thanks buddy.
Link Posted: 10/31/2013 12:56:17 PM EDT
[#4]
No problem.

For anyone on the fence on these, I would not hesitate.
1/7 AUG barrels are RARE and this is your opportunity to get something that will appreciate in value (even if used).
Link Posted: 10/31/2013 7:46:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/31/2013 9:34:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Wow maleante 200 is an uber small amount produced. The email steyr sent me stated this about the AUG 1 in 7 twist barrel: "Quantities are limited, first time ever offered!".
I agree with maleante, Pete at www.pjs-steyraug.com is the person to purchase these barrels from. Pete IS the AUGMAN and a great person to deal with.
Link Posted: 11/1/2013 7:36:21 AM EDT
[#7]
With the recent re-release of the AUG, I wonder if the aftermarket is going to come up with barrel options.  It would make sense... it certainly shouldn't be hard to do if there's a market.
Link Posted: 11/1/2013 8:40:34 AM EDT
[#8]
There is A LOT more to making an AUG barrel than what it appears to be.
It isn't like an AR barrel...
Link Posted: 11/1/2013 8:49:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Around 200 each of 16", 18", 20" and 24" AUG barrels should be available at sometime in the near future from Steyr.

Link Posted: 11/1/2013 9:04:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1,with the logarithmically smaller AUG market compared to AR market, plus the complexity of the gas block manufacture and installation it is unlikely you will see aftermarket AUG barrels.

The market is too small and the manufacturing cost too high to make a product that would sell with enough profit fast enough for any of the players in the AUG aftermarket to want to touch it as a project.

Trust me, the numbers have been crunched by several of us and they just don't work, at least not currently.
Link Posted: 11/1/2013 10:14:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

+1,with the logarithmically smaller AUG market compared to AR market, plus the complexity of the gas block manufacture and installation it is unlikely you will see aftermarket AUG barrels.

The market is too small and the manufacturing cost too high to make a product that would sell with enough profit fast enough for any of the players in the AUG aftermarket to want to touch it as a project.

Trust me, the numbers have been crunched by several of us and they just don't work, at least not currently.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool, that makes sense.  The quick-change barrel feature would be a much bigger selling point (for me anyway), if different options (length, twist rate, .300BLK, whatever) were readily available.  

The age-old chicken-egg thing with guns... more aftermarket leads to better gun sales which leads to more aftermarket....
Link Posted: 11/1/2013 12:17:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Cool, that makes sense.  The quick-change barrel feature would be a much bigger selling point (for me anyway), if different options (length, twist rate, .300BLK, whatever) were readily available.  

The age-old chicken-egg thing with guns... more aftermarket leads to better gun sales which leads to more aftermarket....
View Quote

Have you let Steyr know what you want out of the AUG?

Some time ago, I sent Mr. O'Brien, the CEO of Steyr, an email describing exactly what the AUG market lacks, needs, and ways of how to better their brand.
One of my suggestions was barrel twist rate.

This morning, the CEO of Steyr replied to my original email again(!), informing me of the availability of the new 1/7 twist barrels. It was a direct reply from my original email a while back.

After reading that email, I firmly believe that Steyr takes into consideration each message they receive from their consumers. Heck, to see that the CEO would personally respond to let me know about the release of 1/7 twist barrels speaks volumes of their customer service.

You want something from Steyr, let them know... they are listening.
Link Posted: 11/1/2013 12:28:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

I know there are 24-inch 1:7 barrels out there, but 16" 1:7?

Link Posted: 11/1/2013 12:35:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I know there are 24-inch 1:7 barrels out there, but 16" 1:7?
View Quote

LMG 24's and 14's are 1:7.
I have heard rumors of small runs of other lengths in 1:7, but haven't been able to confirm it.

As of yesterday, 16" 1:7 are added to that list.

Better get one before they are gone... I can only imagine what you'll pay on gunbroker 5 years from now for a used 16" 1:7.
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 1:27:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Have you let Steyr know what you want out of the AUG?

Some time ago, I sent Mr. O'Brien, the CEO of Steyr, an email describing exactly what the AUG market lacks, needs, and ways of how to better their brand.
One of my suggestions was barrel twist rate.

This morning, the CEO of Steyr replied to my original email again(!), informing me of the availability of the new 1/7 twist barrels. It was a direct reply from my original email a while back.

After reading that email, I firmly believe that Steyr takes into consideration each message they receive from their consumers. Heck, to see that the CEO would personally respond to let me know about the release of 1/7 twist barrels speaks volumes of their customer service.

You want something from Steyr, let them know... they are listening.
View Quote

Sage advise!

The problem is that most of us in the gun fraternity are completely satisfied with whatever incrementally small change in a model the manufacturer chooses to offer us --- they build it, we buy it. Fact is: if we don't provide our Customer input --- which manufacturers appreciate --- we shouldn't expect change.
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 6:22:29 AM EDT
[#16]
i had a discussion with Steyr via facebook where they stated that they were doing the 1:7 barrels because of requests, but that they didnt really see the point since their 1:9 barrels properly stabilized everything they had shot out of them...

imo, the 5.56mm community should standardize on 1:8, as its pretty much the universal twist rate
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 7:32:04 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

i had a discussion with Steyr via facebook where they stated that they were doing the 1:7 barrels because of requests, but that they didnt really see the point since their 1:9 barrels properly stabilized everything they had shot out of them...

imo, the 5.56mm community should standardize on 1:8, as its pretty much the universal twist rate
View Quote

I'd prefer in 1:7 over 1:9, but the overwhelming majority of my shooting in done with M193 or M855 spec loads, so it doesn't make much sense for me to drop $600 on a new barrel just for the stabilization benefits of ammo that costs $1/round, which I almost never shoot.

I realize I could sell of the old barrel assembly to recoup some funds, but my Sabre barrel is top notch and making the switch just doesn't make much sense.

Link Posted: 11/14/2013 11:32:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Got a package today...

The quality is typical Steyr (very high quality). I had Pete loosen the flash hiders for me since I have plans for both of these, otherwise you would see them with the flash hider attached (as sold).

I'm not 100% sure, but it seems that these barrels are individually numbered. My thought is that (if they are in fact numbered and only 200 will be made) Steyr did this to cut down on counterfeit 1/7 barrels.
Link Posted: 11/14/2013 12:14:00 PM EDT
[#19]
So when are the 20" barrels coming?
:-)

Mick
Link Posted: 11/14/2013 2:58:11 PM EDT
[#20]
I got my barrel last week from Pete, as always, no problem and speedy delivery.

They are individually manually numbered.  My '7' is spaced out a bit further.  Typical AUG quality.

I'm still waiting for a 20 inch in a 7 twist.

I understand the need for a 16 inch barrel, but for recreational shooting, which is the vast majority of trigger time, the 20 inch barrel is far nicer.

Link Posted: 11/14/2013 5:58:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Waiting on mine now.

I really did it just to have a spare.  I have a couple thousand rounds of steel case that that I have been hesitant to shoot.  I'll probably pop that out of the 1:9 barrel now, and save the normal stuff for the new one.

Coming from the SCAR world, these barrels seem like a steal.  I'll will likely be picking up a 20" when they become available, as well.

Was there ever any word on the promised 14" inch with the integrally machined flash hider?
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 5:38:52 AM EDT
[#22]
I really hope that bonus check gets here fast so I can order one of those AUG A3's with 1 in 7 barrel from Pj before they are all gone... You guys have me feeling like I need to put one on lay away ASAP! lol
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 11:06:06 AM EDT
[#23]
I agree the difference   in 1-7 from 1-9 is going to make little difference to most of us . FWIW I have a Colt 24 inch 6700 that shoots 1/2 groups at 100 yards with 75 grain black hills ammo . If I was buying a new Steyer Aug I would go 1-7 ,but to spend $600.00 just change  the barrel from 1-9 to 1-7 on the Aug I have  just isn't going to happen .
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:42:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Going... going...
If you're still on the fence about these, they won't be made again. I wouldn't hesitate. Soon no one will have any in stock.

I think PJS has a few left, you'd have to ask him though. http://www.pjs-steyraug.com/augusrparts.html

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:42:57 PM EDT
[#25]
That's why I bought my A3 from Pete with the 1/7 instead of the 1/9 :)
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 8:11:38 PM EDT
[#26]
What I want to know is, when are we going to see the 20" 1/7 barrels that we have been waiting patiently for...

Mick
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 11:05:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
What I want to know is, when are we going to see the 20" 1/7 barrels that we have been waiting patiently for...

Mick
View Quote

I would settle for a 1/9 20 inch barrel!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top