Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/13/2010 6:30:11 PM EDT
I've seen pics of a desert camo MSAR floating about in here.  I no slouch on searching and in this thread ( http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=43&t=315040) another user was pointed to a thread involving Rit dye.  However, nothing was ever said in regards to how the rifle was done.  Anyone know?
Link Posted: 7/13/2010 7:04:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I think MSARDave himself actually owns one of the ones you speak of. I've been wondering about this myself because I've been thinking about dying a tan MSAR stock to mimic 3-color desert camo.

Edit: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=19&t=313507

Edit 2: Search-fu failed, wrong thread.

Edit 3: Help here: http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=47928&page=16

MTguns seems to be the dyeing authority, hopefully he'll be kind enough to stop in here and give us some step-by-step instructions.
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 12:54:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Dave, are you one of the lucky ones with the beauty?
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 4:35:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I did a write up in the threads that OutKast linked to.  If you have any specific questions let me know.  I am currently working on a Belgium jigsaw camo stock for the STG.

If you do dye, especially a camo pattern be very attentive to the details.  There is no do-overs when it comes to dye.  That being said if you do screw up your tan or green stock just dye it black and sell it on the EE to fund a new tan or green stock.

I have done two stock so far.  MSARDAVE is the owner of my second stock.  I have also seen others who have duracoated their stocks and one who did the water transfer of the multicam pattern.
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 4:51:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I've read through those threads and man.....wow.  I'm curious as to how you pulled off that camo pattern.  One color seems easy enough, but so many with such detail?  Well done indeed.  What was the starting color of that MSAR?  Care to do a step-by-step for us less creative types?
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 5:20:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I did a write up in the threads that OutKast linked to.  If you have any specific questions let me know.  I am currently working on a Belgium jigsaw camo stock for the STG.

If you do dye, especially a camo pattern be very attentive to the details.  There is no do-overs when it comes to dye.  That being said if you do screw up your tan or green stock just dye it black and sell it on the EE to fund a new tan or green stock.

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad50/AKsnowHare/DSC_0075.jpg

I have done two stock so far.  MSARDAVE is the owner of my second stock.  I have also seen others who have duracoated their stocks and one who did the water transfer of the multicam pattern.

Dude! That pic of the camo just made me wet!!!

I got all excited and spilled my Coke in my lap..

Link Posted: 7/14/2010 6:10:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What was the starting color of that MSAR?  

The picture can be deceiving,  It was originally a OD E4.  The stock in question was originally tan.  This picture was taken before I put the dyed charging handle on.  Tan is the best bet to start with.
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 6:25:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Hmm..  That makes the issue of doing a non-film dip camo job on an E4 a bit harder.  I've only ever seen them in black or OD.  In regards to the pic above, I'm more curious as to the order of dip and how to separate each dip.
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 8:30:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm more curious as to the order of dip and how to separate each dip.

I'd like to know this as well. And I read you're using black electrical tape. I'm not artistic at all, is there somewhere I could download a template for 3-color desert camo to do my E4 stock?

Seriously man, you should charge for your artwork. I'd pay you to do mine!
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 8:35:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Hmm..  That makes the issue of doing a non-film dip camo job on an E4 a bit harder.  I've only ever seen them in black or OD.  In regards to the pic above, I'm more curious as to the order of dip and how to separate each dip.

Why would it be harder for an E4?  there are tan E4 stocks around.  The real trick with the E4 stocks has to do with all the texturing on the stock.  It is next to impossible to get clean lines with all that texture.  As far as order goes think about lightest colors to darkest.  on that stock it went;

1)stock tan
2)light green
3)darker green
4)light brown
5)darkest green
6)darker brown
7)darkest brown.

Make sure you have a big pan to dip the whole stock into.  I used electrical tape to mask with.  PM me if you would like to talk about me doing it for you.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 11:35:09 AM EDT
[#10]
IM sent to ya MT
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top