Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2009 8:24:49 AM EDT
I'm trying to disassemble my STG-556 for the first time and I'm following the directions in the owners manual.  The housing latch will not move at all.  It's stuck.  How do I get this latch moving?  According to the manual it should move from left to right.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 8:39:42 AM EDT
[#1]
They are very tight new, tap on it with a plastic punch and a small hammer
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 8:55:50 AM EDT
[#2]
You will probably have to tap out the receiver lock.  If you somehow manage to damage it I will send you a new one.  The rifle will be very tight until you have fired several hundred rounds.  Give me a call if I can help you.

Dave Robertson
MSAR
814-363-9264 ext 19
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:41:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Mine was hellaciously tight.  Take a small wooden dowel and tap it out, as stated above.  Nothing is wrong.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 10:08:59 AM EDT
[#4]
I tried using a plastic punch to drive the latch to the right and it goes just so far and stops.  The receiver won't seperate.  Is the latch supposed to come all the way out?  

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 10:25:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Think of it like an AR takedown pin. You push it out but there is a detent that keeps it from being completely removed.

Unlike an most rifles you don't pull it away from eachother. The receiver slides out of the stock.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 12:22:29 PM EDT
[#6]
The latch won't come all the way out of the stock...it stays retained as previously posted.  Dave at MSAR recommended to tap the receiver from the stock, lightly.  If you have a rail model, just tap the back of the rail vertically on a surface (like a table top) with the receiver latch pushed as far as it will go. All this will go much easier after you've removed the receiver from the stock a few times.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 12:47:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The latch won't come all the way out of the stock...it stays retained as previously posted.  Dave at MSAR recommended to tap the receiver from the stock, lightly.  If you have a rail model, just tap the back of the rail vertically on a surface (like a table top) with the receiver latch pushed as far as it will go. All this will go much easier after you've removed the receiver from the stock a few times.

This is exactly how I do it.  Just don't slam it hard or anything.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 3:59:06 PM EDT
[#8]
I tapped on the back of the rail several times and the receiver came out of the stock.  Man, talk about some tight tolerances!  Thanks to all for their helpful advice.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:22:34 PM EDT
[#9]
It gets a little easier every time.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top