Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/14/2022 11:20:09 PM EDT
Background: My paternal grandfather gave this rifle to his eldest son, my uncle and he just gave it to me.  He doesn't know much about it other than it was his father's rifle.  While looking at it closely when I got it home, the checkering looked like it was hand carved.  So I looked up the serial number in Winchester's documents and according to that, this rifle was produced midway through 1899.  Making this rifle a legit 123 years old at this point and in very good shape.  The barrel is octagonal out to where the magazine tube attaches to it, after that it's been machined round at some point in the past.  

I have a decent amount of experience with cartridges that I can find in load books and I'm comfortable with that.  

None of my current books have any data for the 32-40.  I've found some information on the internet, but I figured I would ask around here and see if anyone here has any significant experience with loading for this cartridge.  

Dies don't seem to be a problem, they're available.  Projectiles can be had or cast.  Primers I already have.  Powders...also not really a problem.

My first issue is I only have a single box of factory ammo.  I'd rather not shoot it if I can avoid it.  I think it's cool to pass a full box of ammo with the rifle when I decide to give it away to one of my son's.  @eclark53520 I have removed this part of your post so I don't have to lock your thread. We have a WTF, where to find thread at the top of the page and that is the only place you can ask WTF questions in this forum. Otherwise WTF posts get locked or they would overrun this forum.. So ask WTF questions there, and we can help you with reloading data in this thread. dryflash3

The other issue is load data.  If anyone has a favorite load, let me know.  Also, if you have an old rifle in 32-40, share the story.  Enjoy hearing them.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 11:29:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Deleted by author to comply with COC  
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 11:42:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 11:45:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I might be able to help with load data. I keep older reloading manuals, and I specifically look for ones with data for oddball calibers When you load stuff like 8x50r Lebel you kinda have to. Anyway, I’ll take a look and I’ll screenshot you data if I have some, which in all likelihood I do. I’ll be away from my stuff until next week. But shoot me an IM to remind me and I’ll look it up.

In the meantime, there’s some on Hodgdons site…..

Here
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 11:52:53 PM EDT
[#4]
That barrel configuration is called "half round" it's very desirable.

How is the bore?

In a pinch you can run 30-30 brass through a 32 win special die, then the 32-40 die. Then fire form..

I'd annealed the shoulder up afterwards
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 11:54:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lyman 51, current manual has loading data for 32-40 on page 290.

170 gr jacketed and 165 gr cast.
View Quote

Apologies for the WTF...slipped my mind.  

Appreciate the help!  I don't have that manual...I'll pick it up.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 11:56:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

How is the bore?
View Quote

Interesting.  I figured it was some 'bubba' modification after the fact because the Octagon barrel was too heavy.  

Bore isn't bright and shiny like my new rifles, but it's not pitted at all.  Looks decent.  

I don't know much about these old guns, my Grandpa didn't tell my uncle much about it, so I appreciate the information.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 11:57:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I might be able to help with load data. I keep older reloading manuals, and I specifically look for ones with data for oddball calibers When you load stuff like 8x50r Lebel you kinda have to. Anyway, I’ll take a look and I’ll screenshot you data if I have some, which in all likelihood I do. I’ll be away from my stuff until next week. But shoot me an IM to remind me and I’ll look it up.

In the meantime, there’s some on Hodgdons site…..

Here
View Quote

Solid, thanks.  

I did find the Hodgdon information online, but I always like to have a few sources of information just to cross check.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 12:03:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Interesting.  I figured it was some 'bubba' modification after the fact because the Octagon barrel was too heavy.  

Bore isn't bright and shiny like my new rifles, but it's not pitted at all.  Looks decent.  

I don't know much about these old guns, my Grandpa didn't tell my uncle much about it, so I appreciate the information.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How is the bore?

I love those old 94s. A good clean and lube and itll last a long time more.

Fyi, these can be a challenge to assemble/disassemble so dont go off willynilly. Lots of good videos out there.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 12:03:54 AM EDT
[#9]
I just checked again in my Lee Manual and found it....I must have overlooked it the first 3 times I looked.  

I thought it was weird that it had 32-20 but not 32-40....

Anyway, still appreciate the help, and hearing the stories about family heirloom guns is always awesome.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 2:59:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 12:17:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 5:31:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top