Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/23/2022 3:24:43 AM EDT
I've got plenty of the .047"x.255" and it works great on 5.56 and 7.62 but for 9mm, every once in awhile a pin will get lodged into the bottom of the case across the inside diameter.   If the pins were just a hair shorter, it almost certainly wouldn't be a problem.

I'm having a hard time finding any pins other than the standard .047 x .255 tho.

Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 3:33:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Great alternative - Chips
Chips
AmmoBrass
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 3:48:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Great alternative - Chips
Chips
AmmoBrass
View Quote

Nice, thank you!
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 7:29:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Any pins I find like that I discard. Likewise with ones that get trapped in primer pockets.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 8:53:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 9:32:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have actually just been tumbling the brass with no pins as of late. It has been working fairly well.
View Quote
For 9mm that's what I do also.

it doesn't get the insides sparkly clean but does a better job than dry media and you can clean more brass per job without pins.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 10:21:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

it doesn't get the insides sparkly clean but does a better job than dry media and you can clean more brass per job without pins.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have actually just been tumbling the brass with no pins as of late. It has been working fairly well.

I've been doing the same now with all handgun brass and have tried it a few times with rifle brass.  I'm pleased with the results and it sure is nice not having to chase those pins.  Just rinse, dry and load.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 10:46:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 5:32:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Easy solution.

Pins that cause you trouble, remove them and deposit into trash can. Never return them into the batch of pins.

Won't be long and this will no longer be an issue.
View Quote

I tried that.   Over several batches of 1500 or so each, the rate of pins sticking never decreased.

Which tells me its at least as much about variability with the cases as it is with the pins.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 8:23:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 8:49:07 PM EDT
[#10]
I've never had issues with 9mm cases getting pins stuck inside.  Unfortunately, I can't remember where I got my pins, but they are all pretty uniform.  I've had a few jam into flash holes; they get recycled when I find them.  Interestingly, those PIA Norma overly small flash holes? I've never had a pin catch in them...

I'm a "just in case" guy.  I have three different sizes of surgical pick-ups on hand.  These make short work of getting rogue pins out of cases and flash holes.  And once I have 'em grabbed with the pick-up, I just drop them in my steel recycle container.  (It's amazing what you can accidentally pick up on a range, including zinc-plated steel cases, brass plated steel cases, etc.)

I use chips for two calibers: .30 Carbine and .32 Auto.  These little guys are small enough that normal pins will bridge inside the cases.  It's a huge hassle to get them out.  I'll bet that .25 Auto is too small for pins to get stuck inside these cases.

Chips are not as uniform as pins, but they're much smaller overall.  As long as your pins come to you clean, you won't have any problems with them.  But...  I use a combination of metal strainer and old tee shirt to separate the water from the pins and brass.  The tee shirt catches ALL the chips that get through the strainer.  A few pins get through it too, but a lot more chips do.  Be advised...
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 9:03:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Well I've taken about 100 pins out of my 10 pound batch in 10 years.

My problem pins stick in the flashole, but have had a couple stick in 9mm and 357 like you describe.
View Quote

That's the weird thing too.  I've never had pins get stuck in the flash hole though I hear from others about it alot.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 12:22:28 PM EDT
[#12]
I use pins purchased from Guntap. They don't stick in flash holes. On two occasions I've had a 9mm case where 3 pins stuck inside the case walls in an "H" pattern. That's pretty cool.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 3:13:20 PM EDT
[#13]
I prefer longer pins. Mine are a half-inch long, and barely fit through a standard flash hole. I've been running them for almost 10 years now. The short ones are cheaper though.

ETA: when the hell did .255 become the standard length for stainless pins?
i just tried to find more half inch length pins and they're nowhere to be found.

.255 is too short. No wonder I see guys complaining about pins turning sideways in cases. Now I'm going to search for SS rod stock and probably have to make my own.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 3:33:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 3:50:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
So where did you get them?
View Quote

I had a supplier for them that I used to send everyone to for SS pins, Bullseye Reloading Supplies. They have totally vanished as well.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 4:28:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 11:45:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I prefer longer pins. Mine are a half-inch long, and barely fit through a standard flash hole. I've been running them for almost 10 years now. The short ones are cheaper though.

ETA: when the hell did .255 become the standard length for stainless pins?
i just tried to find more half inch length pins and they're nowhere to be found.

.255 is too short. No wonder I see guys complaining about pins turning sideways in cases. Now I'm going to search for SS rod stock and probably have to make my own.
View Quote

Slightly longer would work, too.

Let us know how it goes making your own if you go that route.    I guess if you could make up a fixture or something to strap a bunch together in a bundle and cut them at once it wouldn't be too bad.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 11:56:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Slightly longer would work, too.

Let us know how it goes making your own if you go that route.    I guess if you could make up a fixture or something to strap a bunch together in a bundle and cut them at once it wouldn't be too bad.
View Quote

My only concern would be sharp edges at the cuts.

ETA- FWIW, my pins measure .060x .505, that's a major difference from what's available now. .060= 1/16 in. or 1.5mm(ish) diameter, then select your length. This is roughly the same pin that was used in Hornadys decapping stems. I'm not certain about Hornadys length though.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 4:15:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Maybe vibratory tumble them afterwards with sandblast media or something?
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 5:31:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Maybe vibratory tumble them afterwards with sandblast media or something?
View Quote

Sand?
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 5:44:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Sand?
View Quote

sand, oxide, ceramic beads, whatever you got.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top