Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/15/2022 6:50:29 PM EDT
From the Amazon Deals thread:
https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Amazon-clearance-deals-Team-member-edition/75-1697216/&page=909

these things are basically $3 (or were, still cheap), delivered:

I'm tempted to run this in my wet-tumbler at maybe 20% strength.  In particular, I don't ever dry tumble, and sometimes will run a couple drops of turtle wax, to leave a thin film in lieu of the dry-tumble dust film.  My only real item of concern is if this has any amine's or other brass-harming additives.  I can't tell.   The warning only says "contains surfactants", which are just soap, so not worried about that (soap is in general organic in nature, and not really an amine - necessarily).

FWIW, I did Google RainX general composition.  It's a filming layer, formed from this molecular back-bone

No amino groups there.  I suppose I've answered my question probably.  Just curious if anyone else has looked or tried this?

Link Posted: 5/15/2022 7:02:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Why not do a test run on some brass out of your scrap bucket?

I'd maybe start out with a solution at 10% strength.

I use AmorAll Wash & Wax in mine.  I only add 2 tbsp's a gallon which is more than adequate.

Link Posted: 5/15/2022 7:55:09 PM EDT
[#2]
No idea about Rainx, but why?  2 or 3 drops of dish soap and a pinch of lemon shine with SS tumbling media. Brass looks new.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 8:45:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No idea about Rainx, but why?  2 or 3 drops of dish soap and a pinch of lemon shine with SS tumbling media. Brass looks new.
View Quote

2 reasons

1) in my water, the like new look quickly fades to a dull color in a few days
2) I am seeking a film or other coating residue on the brass, to avoid cold-welding with ammo stored for a while.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 8:56:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a similar problem with brass getting dull. I have been tumbling my complete rounds in corn cob and Nufinish liquid wax.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 12:25:01 PM EDT
[#5]
oops, double tap...
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 12:31:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I think you are good to go.   I use Turtle Wax "Wash n' Wax" and have had no problems.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 1:12:28 PM EDT
[#7]
When I ran a batch with armor all wash and wax by itself it dulled over the period of a few weeks, which I thought was a bit odd. The next batch I added a 44 special case of lemishine with the armor all wash and wax and it has stayed blindingly bright for the past few weeks at this point.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 2:22:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Silicone has low film strength so it won't lubricate at the pressures encountered during reloading. It is also a terrible barrier for oxygen so the brass will still tarnish. It might be better than nothing but not my first choice. Silicone shouldn't cause any problems though.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 3:06:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Silicone has low film strength so it won't lubricate at the pressures encountered during reloading. It is also a terrible barrier for oxygen so the brass will still tarnish. It might be better than nothing but not my first choice. Silicone shouldn't cause any problems though.
View Quote

The intent isn't to lubricate nor to be on oxygen barrier.  It's intended to just be a layer of something between the copper bullet and the brass neck, in the same manner that dust does from a dry-tumbler.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 3:11:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 4:02:19 PM EDT
[#11]
I started using car wash with wax and now my brass no longer tarnishes or fades like it did just using dawn
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 4:27:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Nm
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/17/2022 4:29:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

2 reasons

This is due to oxygen attacking the brass.

2) I am seeking a film or other coating residue on the brass, to avoid cold-welding with ammo stored for a while.

Silicone will be pushed out of the way due to the poor film strength.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

2 reasons

This is due to oxygen attacking the brass.

Silicone will be pushed out of the way due to the poor film strength.

See answers in bold.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 5:46:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Armor all wash & wax.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top