Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/19/2021 12:33:48 PM EDT
I have a bunch of FC brass that I've sorted into 4 different types.  I've read on here that some of the FC headstamps are garbage and shouldn't be trusted.  I'm not sure which are GTG and which I should not reload.  Also - I'm not sure if the last one in the photo is 556?  It doesn't have REM 223 on it, like all of the others that I have.

From what I gather - the ones with the scamp marks should be good to go - as those were made on LC machines - correct?
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 3:08:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 5:17:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The way to tell is measure the web thickness.

You need a 2 inch metal rod that fits down a 223 neck.

Drill out the center a little to allow flashole flash to not effect the measurement.

Put rod in caliper and zero caliper.

Place rod down a LC case and you will measure about .185, what I consider the standard.

I have measured FC cases as small as .165. Dangerous IMHO.

The problem I always had with FC rifle brass is the weak, soft case head that has loose primer pockets in once fired brass.

Or loosen up after the first reload. I never load loose primer pocket brass.

Have a primer go down into the fire control group and it can ruin a range trip.

Sometimes you can pick them out, sometimes have to do it at home.

So I won't load a FC rifle case in any caliber. But that's my personnel standard.

Others load them and I'm fine with that. Good luck.
View Quote

Thanks for the feedback - I was planning on doing that as well.  Any ideas if the last case is a 5.56 case?  Some of these headstamps are confusing to read.  I know I can always just load it to 223 pressures, but just curious if these are supposed to be 5.56 or not.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 5:51:32 PM EDT
[#3]
If it looks like all the other cases, it's a 5.56mm case.  That one has a GI-style headstamp, and Federal has had contracts for military ammunition.

But as dryflash3 says, measure them yourself.  I use a segment of 3/16" brass tubing (I had it on hand when I needed to check some cases).  I measure the rod before and after measuring my cases because I'm anal about measurements.

I think dryflash3's opinion of FC rifle brass is based on real, hard evidence, nothing else.  So any FC .223 brass I have will either wind up as scrap, or as brass I can load once and not feel bad about leaving at the range.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 7:03:00 PM EDT
[#4]
if the problem is the primer pocket gets loose why not just use a primer pocket gauge vs measuring with a rod.  
Once you find one with a loose pocket, scrap all the ones with same headstamp.

I weeded out a bunch of .223 FC brass a decade ago when it was more of a problem.

762x39 FC is OK
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 7:23:03 PM EDT
[#5]
2 and 3 are good. 1 seems to develop ICHS sooner, though that may be due to whatever gun fired them first. Dunno about 4.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 9:56:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If it looks like all the other cases, it's a 5.56mm case.  That one has a GI-style headstamp, and Federal has had contracts for military ammunition.

But as dryflash3 says, measure them yourself.  I use a segment of 3/16" brass tubing (I had it on hand when I needed to check some cases).  I measure the rod before and after measuring my cases because I'm anal about measurements.

I think dryflash3's opinion of FC rifle brass is based on real, hard evidence, nothing else.  So any FC .223 brass I have will either wind up as scrap, or as brass I can load once and not feel bad about leaving at the range.
View Quote

My 5.5mm tube is ordered - should be here tomorrow!  I'll measure a bunch and post results!
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 11:31:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 11:34:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 10:26:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Finally had some time to take some measurements.  I measured all of the FC brass - the only ones that measured consistently about 0.185 was FC case #2.  All others were between 0.175-0.184.  I did find one that was 0.165 which was scrapped.

I also measured my other brass that I had as well, which was quite interesting.  Here's what I found:

-IMI - all over the place from 0.175-0.190
-Grindhard - all fairly low, around 0.175 or so
-R-P - all over the place
-Norma - mostly 0.186 with a few around 0.183
-WCC - all over the place
-PMC - fairly good - mostly around 0.186
-Wolf - excellent - mostly around 0.192-0.200
-S&B - excellent - mostly around 0.203
-Winchester - fairly good - mostly above 0.185

This was all .223 brass (except the WCC) - going to check the 5.56 later this week.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 11:17:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Just load the stuff and shoot it until it goes dwanky on you and then recycle it.

If you’re shooting matches for that new Esclade, you’d be using better brass.

For plinking/casual target, you’ll be fine.

On a side note, I love FGMM 308 brass.

Chris
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 5:36:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Dryflash is spot on (as usual).

Have experienced FC loose primer pockets early on in my reloading life.

Primer fell into trigger group of AR.

Was able to get it out at the range, from that point forward all FC rifle brass goes into scrap bucket.

FC pistol brass has proven to be good.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top