Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2021 8:08:54 PM EDT
I'm making a electric power unit to mount some primer pocket tools.  I know I can buy something like this but I want to see if this will work with a small motor I have on hand from a broken paper shredder.  I want to mount a primer pocket uniformer, crimp cutter, brush and if I can a deburring and chamfer tool.

The motor is fast, over 600 rpm, and has a lot of torque, but I think its a little too fast. My electric drill is 600 max rpm and works very well.  Who has a factory made unit and how fast does it go?  I may get a speed controller to lower the speed but curious about the rpm on commercial models.

If this works I may post some pictures later but until then thanks for looking.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:21:28 PM EDT
[#1]
If you're doing a home build, and also putting multiple tool heads on it, seems like a great time to put a reduction gear on it if you think it's too fast.

Be careful of the duty cycle on the motor. Paper shredder isn't meant to run for an hour straight.

I probably run my pocket reamer at 350rpm and Giraud at 5-600rpm.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:59:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:31:55 PM EDT
[#3]
My Lyman prep tool turns slow compared to a cordless drilll

I like it for primer poCket cleaning and chamfering, but crimp removal is too slow.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 4:54:55 PM EDT
[#4]
My home brew version runs directly off of a motor shaft at about 2800 rpm. If you push the case into the pocket reamer really hard it can chatter and not make a smooth cut around the pocket.

I haven't reduced the speed on it, I just lightly touch the case to it for about a second and its done. If i do reduce it I'll use small belts, because my old rcbs case prepper was obnoxiously loud with the gear drive.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 6:01:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Tools running parallel to the workbench like drills and hand tools have really been doing a number on my joints. I just purchased the Lyman Case Prep Express, only because it was the quietest of all the others, and it runs at 125 rpms. I don't feel I need more power.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top