Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/3/2021 11:06:03 AM EDT
I ordered one recently, wanted a stand alone staging station since I I’ve been processing several hundred cases a week reloading .223 and 300 ham’r. Cutting out the crimp is a pain after the first 50, suppose my hand strength is up there now lol. Anyways do any of y’all have tips for set up, how does this unit hold up? Lots of mixed reviews online.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 11:21:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Post a link to it.   I googled and all I came up with was Frankford arsenal swage tool.

It looks nice, maybe a vertical version of the Dillon swager.

I use the hornady swage tool chucked up in my m12 drill.  I can do 200 before I call it a day.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 11:50:55 AM EDT
[#2]
dryflash put me onto the Hornady primer pocket swaging tool. Chuck into a nut coupler and go to town! I just wish I'd bought pocket uniformers large & small before everything went sky high/out of stock.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 5:30:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 7:30:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Here’s a link to the one I ordered.....

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019602072?pid=592154

If nobody has used one I’ll have to do a thread on it once I’ve used it a bit.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:17:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 9:04:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Looks very much like the Dillon, turned on it's edge

Link Posted: 1/11/2021 10:28:24 PM EDT
[#7]
So I received it, mounted it and adjusted it today. Super easy to adjust and swages great. I can’t believe I lived without one, lol. The pocket is much easier to load than cut pockets, you can also adjust it for various tensions. I’m gonna swage a thousand cases or so before I review it but so far I love it.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 10:32:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 11:09:37 PM EDT
[#9]
about 25% of the reviews on MidwayUSA mention a spring getting broken.  I'd try to get a spare from Frankford Arsenal to have as a backup
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 7:58:09 AM EDT
[#10]
I read that, looking at the spring It would be easy to get one from the hardware store to make it work. These new ones were supposedly re-designed after getting some complaints. It would be A nice touch if they threw an extra spring in there for extra consumer confidence.

If it breaks, I’ll definitely get on here and bitch about it. If it holds up, this will be the best thing since sliced bread. It’s so much better than cutting out the pockets with a drill and takes less than a minute to set up from one cartridge to another.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 2:07:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Looking forward to a review

I use a cheap hand drill with the RCBS Trim Mate military crimp remover, I don't use my Dillon swager at all any more.

For large batches the drill causes fatigue, that's one of the down sides plus the brass shavings, on the plus side it's fast and consistent.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 10:53:07 PM EDT
[#12]
I did the same as you & after 50 or so reamed cases I was ready to call it quits. Why don’t you use the Dillon swager anymore?

This is so much more convenient than reaming for me, even in smaller batches.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 10:59:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Please do a review on it when you can.

The patent must of run out on the Dillon swager as that tool is a Dillon swager turned 90 degrees.
View Quote

Hopefully it's better than their Forster Co-Ax copy.  The few I've messed with of them were sloppy to say the least.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 11:29:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I did the same as you & after 50 or so reamed cases I was ready to call it quits. Why don't you use the Dillon swager anymore?

View Quote
Dillon swager is good if all the brass is same head stamp, but if it's not needs constant tweaking.  Even switching say .223 to 9mm is a bit time consuming.  No adjustment needed at all with a Trim Mate cutter in a drill.

I follow up with the military crimp remover bit with a primer pocket uniformer which requires a drill.  Only down side to the uniformer is sometimes it'll get stuck in a primer pocket and only way to remove it from the uniformer to grab the case with pliers and operate the drill which ruins the brass.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:11:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Dillon swager is good if all the brass is same head stamp, but if it's not needs constant tweaking.  Even switching say .223 to 9mm is a bit time consuming.  No adjustment needed at all with a Trim Mate cutter in a drill.

I follow up with the military crimp remover bit with a primer pocket uniformer which requires a drill.  Only down side to the uniformer is sometimes it'll get stuck in a primer pocket and only way to remove it from the uniformer to grab the case with pliers and operate the drill which ruins the brass.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I did the same as you & after 50 or so reamed cases I was ready to call it quits. Why don't you use the Dillon swager anymore?

All you do with the Dillon is set it to swage the most needed on any of the headstamps you have and then use feel to stop on the rest when they have been swaged.  I did that and processed 4K pieces of 223 and it was a breeze.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 3:26:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Please do a review on it when you can.

The patent must of run out on the Dillon swager as that tool is a Dillon swager turned 90 degrees.
View Quote

According to my corporate patent training we got last week, patents are good for 20 years.  Has to have been at least that long.
I also think it looks remarkably like the Dillon tool turned on end.

I just got my Hornady reamer in a couple days ago.  I do think swaging is more consistant.  I have the old RCBS dies, but RCBS no longer makes a stripper cap for large rams, so I can't use it on my press.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 3:49:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 5:13:30 PM EDT
[#18]
I have to agree, I don't see why people insist on torturing themselves with swaging when reaming is so much easier and faster.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 7:24:03 PM EDT
[#19]
I’ve always reamed in the past and this swager is way easier and faster for me. Haven’t had to fiddle with anything so far. What do you have to adjust? I have swaged then primed a couple hundred assorted .223/5.56 cases now and haven’t had to touch anything.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 1:27:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 10:29:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Yup I seat them right after swaging, so far the pockets have been perfect. I’m tumbling a few hundred pieces of range brass as we speak. I’m planning on processing them over the weekend and converting about half to 300 ham’r and loading the rest as .223.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:08:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top