Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/17/2018 12:46:11 PM EDT
BS as in "Brass Smith".

So it looks like the Crusher II and the turret press (name escapes me) are discontinued and in their place a new line of presses "O" and "C" frame single stage presses, turret press...as well as a powder measure.

Orange is the new black

The "C" frame press might be useful for grunt work (depriming).

I'm wondering if these are made in the US....

Stuff's beefy-looking, too. The 8-station turret press looks suspiciously like a Redding T-7.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 1:21:52 PM EDT
[#1]
That turret does indeed look like a bigger t7.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 1:31:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Can we say made in China
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 1:35:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Can we say made in China
View Quote
Do you know this for a fact or just guessing?
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 1:56:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Do you know this for a fact or just guessing?
View Quote
NOPE I AM WRONG!
Clearly states on the press boxes Made In USA on front.

But most of the rest of Lyman stuff in made in china ie Electronics.

The shipping wt on the Turret press is as much as Redding T-7.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 7:46:20 PM EDT
[#5]
MSRP on the 8-station turret is $249 and probably a bit less when they hit the streets. If I were in the market for a turret press I'd probably consider one.

Been watching some of the YT videos on these presses. They look really good. Enough to replace my Rock Chucker or Lee Classic Cast? Not at this time but would be something for a first time SS press buyer to look at.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 4:57:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Not a press but I picked up their new 450 Bushmaster die set.  Comes with the M die and case gauge.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 5:46:16 AM EDT
[#7]
"Gavintoobe" (Ultimate Reloader) does a brief overview of all three presses:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOUpd8J37dQ
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 10:09:25 AM EDT
[#8]
8 stations sounds nice, but w/o auto rotating, seems too slow.
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 12:08:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
MSRP on the 8-station turret is $249 and probably a bit less when they hit the streets. If I were in the market for a turret press I'd probably consider one.

Been watching some of the YT videos on these presses. They look really good. Enough to replace my Rock Chucker or Lee Classic Cast? Not at this time but would be something for a first time SS press buyer to look at.
View Quote
You can order it at Cabelas right now for $179. Although it is backordered. Other places have it around $200. Seems like a darn good deal if you're looking for a beefy turret press. At that price point i think it will prove to be a very good middle ground between the Lee Classic Turret and the Redding T-7.

I've also been following this new line of Lyman gear since they announced it and it appears to be well made. I just bought a progressive, but if I were in the market for a Turret I would probably pick it up.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 7:48:25 AM EDT
[#10]
The new 8 station turret press looks like the bees knees to me.

I could keep 45 acp and 357 mag full die sets on one turret head...and 3 or even 4 sets of rifle dies on another?
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 5:39:57 AM EDT
[#11]
One thing I noticed about the two single-stage presses is that like the Crusher II before them these presses have die insert threads in the top of the frame itself; there is no removable bushing that I can see.

Is this a big deal? It might be if one was considering retro-fitting a press with a Hornady "Lock n Load" bushing insert. I personally do not use them but if you were thinking about it these the new Lyman presses won't work.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 6:44:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Tag, been waiting for info on the turret, might want it for precision.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 9:23:03 PM EDT
[#13]
My next single stage press.  I plan on loading some 30-06 in the future.  This guy should do it.  I use a ton of Hornady bullets, why not their press ??

https://www.hornady.com/reloading/presses/lock-n-load-iron-press#!/
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 4:17:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Been looking over the 8 station Lyman......does look interesting.

Comparing it to the Redding and RCBS turrets it's almost a copy.....especially like the Redding in concept, size, and beef.

Comes with the primer where the Redding has it as an extra option.  Size-wise looks similar to it.

Picture below indicates one piece casting with smaller fillets than the others...at first I thought it was a two piece casting.

Biggest difference ...... besides one more station?  Notice the ram's platform is raised on the Redding, not on the Lyman.  A metallurgy engineer might know if that makes a weak spot in the casting.....I wouldn't know.  The vertical part of the casting is simpler too.....The Redding still wins the where's the beef contest.....if it matters.

Price?  A tad cheaper than the smaller 6 station RCBS!  Impressive.  Notice how different the linkage is designed.  Makes me curious about the leverage comparison.  Can't tell from pictures!  Yet I can see that the Lyman's handle is almost up......and the ram......isn't close to down???  Curiouser and curiouser....time to look at videos.

Having two single stations, and two progressives already......I find I still want one.......that is soooo crazy.......maybe the bench just needs a new color that doesn't clash with green!  <<See....flashy!

The only negative I've read about is that the priming system isn't 100%.  Where have we heard that before?  This is a new press.....refrain from judging, give the company time to perfect.  My PC7's primer system works great....in spite of what the early adopters say they experienced.  (Besides, many of us prefer to prime off press anyway especially for precision loads.)
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 4:10:14 AM EDT
[#15]
One of the selling points is the turret support in the back - the theory being it prevents any vertical movement in the turret under max pressure.

I own a T-7 and love it - I have noticed a tiny bit of movement in the head, but it's very small. No affect on my rounds that I can see, but I'm also not a bench rest guy.

There's also a few videos on YT singing the praises of the new Ammo Smith powder measure - one of which shows it mounted on the turret being used in a "one pass" method of creating a round.

I normally run a Dillon 650 and use the T-7 for small batches/brass prep. I don't need the new Lyman at all, but that shouldn't stop me from buying one anyway.
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 8:54:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I don't need the new Lyman at all, but that shouldn't stop me from buying one anyway.
View Quote
Now that's the attitude!!!
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 11:44:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
One of the selling points is the turret support in the back - the theory being it prevents any vertical movement in the turret under max pressure.
View Quote
Redding's and RCBS's both have that feature.....Lyman's old turret did not.
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 12:38:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Right - the previous Lyman turret does not have the same support as the RCBS or Redding.

Quoted:

Redding's and RCBS's both have that feature.....Lyman's old turret did not.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 12:49:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Looks good. I have a T7 but could see adding this to bench too set up with a powder drop for pistol and 223.
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 2:36:46 PM EDT
[#20]
For those who are curious - the T7 weighs approximately 5 lbs more than the Lyman BS Turret, so it's got more "beef".

I know the first time I picked up my T7 I was shocked at the weight.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top