Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/9/2018 9:34:48 PM EDT
So this is pretty new to the market and I wanted to know if anyone has had any experience with it yet.

Hate to say it but I bought some new Peterson brass in 6.5Creedmoor about 10 months ago and all the necks were too thick. Like .002-.003 too thick! I am absolutely not buying brass to have to neck turn it so I heed more caution when considering their brass now.

Looking for feedback, post it up if ya got it!
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 9:54:56 AM EDT
[#1]
OK, so I'll be the one with the dumb question - "too thick" for what?  Are the neck walls so thick that loaded rounds won't chamber because the neck of a loaded cartridge won't fit in the neck of your chamber?  Or are the necks just thicker than you are accustomed to?  If loaded rounds chamber without difficulty, "thicker" neck walls shouldn't be a problem if they are very consistent.  Or perhaps - are you having feeding problems in a semi-auto application???  If so, disregard everything I've said as I know literally nothing about reloading for semi-auto.  

P.S.: I have no personal experience with Peterson brass although was considering buying some to "kick the tires"...
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 9:28:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 3:59:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OK, so I'll be the one with the dumb question - "too thick" for what?  Are the neck walls so thick that loaded rounds won't chamber because the neck of a loaded cartridge won't fit in the neck of your chamber?  Or are the necks just thicker than you are accustomed to?  If loaded rounds chamber without difficulty, "thicker" neck walls shouldn't be a problem if they are very consistent.  Or perhaps - are you having feeding problems in a semi-auto application???  If so, disregard everything I've said as I know literally nothing about reloading for semi-auto.  

P.S.: I have no personal experience with Peterson brass although was considering buying some to "kick the tires"...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yes I am loading for my GAP-10 G2(AR-10) and it very much has a tight chamber. My match ammo with Lapua brass comes in @ .292. Also when I measure FGMM and Hornady Match ammo they both also come in at .292 neck OD. When I loaded up the Peterson it came in at .295 (with same bullets as my lapua handloads). If I chamber a round I almost have to mortar the rifle to get the round out with the Peterson.

Quoted:
My take, Lapua brass will be very inform, have a neck wall thickness of .0145, comes in small primer size that the flash channels are drilled/not punched,  and very, very good brass if you don't want to have to do much brass prep/don't mind playing the cost for the brass

On the other hand, dirty LC M118 LR or Match once fired brass is cheap enough by the 1K to start with/prep, end up with about a 20% rejection if your really picky in the end, so your only into 800 case for around $150 (from your first 1K lot) isntead.

https://www.brassbombers.com/images/012.jpg

As for GM205 verses GM210M primers (small verses large match primer), are you a good enough shot/ have a good enough rig that you will be able to tell the difference in the end?

In my F class 308 rigs at 1K, can get smaller groups with small primer cases, but not enough to really justify the cost of having to buy Lapua brass to get the small primer brass to begin with.

So again, if your looking for no case prep at all, then hard to beat Lapua brass.

If you are on the other had that tight groups comes from case prep, then something like LR/Match once fired case as parent cases to end up with your desired cases, may be the way to go isntead.

Hence it not just 6.5 that I create from  7.62 brass, but other's like 243 when I need a match case for it as well.
I agree with all of that and absolutely will be buying Lapua Brass for the 300NM but it's not out yet and I don't know when it will be out. When I spoke to a rep at SHOT @ Lapua booth and he told me ETA October this year. Welllllll I have a brand spanking new Cadex arriving in about 2 weeks and need some interim brass until the Lapua actually come out. Because lets be real, I didn't wait 6 months for this rifle to come just to wait on Lapua brass. Freaking ready to shoot this thing!
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 5:46:47 PM EDT
[#4]
@Torchy

tagging for outcome/your thoughts.
The 300NM is the next rifle on my list and I'm just now getting serious about it.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 7:56:00 AM EDT
[#5]
I was *this close* to going 300NM when I was looking into ELR rounds/rifles a few months back, but the lack of Lapua brass caused me to wave off. Did the same for the 28 and 30 Nosler as everyone was extolling the virtues of the rounds....as long as they could get brass.

Went with a 338LM and figured I can rebarrel to a 300NM, or whatever the latest and greatest magnum bolt face cartridge is at that time, once I burn out the 338LM barrel.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 9:02:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Yes I am loading for my GAP-10 G2(AR-10) and it very much has a tight chamber. My match ammo with Lapua brass comes in @ .292. Also when I measure FGMM and Hornady Match ammo they both also come in at .292 neck OD. When I loaded up the Peterson it came in at .295 (with same bullets as my lapua handloads). If I chamber a round I almost have to mortar the rifle to get the round out with the Peterson.
View Quote
The Peterson brass has a wall thickness that is just 1.5 thousandths thicker than you are used to but in a semi-auto configuration with a "tight chamber" it obviously matters enough to cause feed issues.  If you have any friends that shoot 6.5 CM out of a bolt action, maybe you can come up with a workable trade for something you can actually use!...

Cheers!
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 12:45:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Update on availability of 338 and 300 Norma Mag brass by Lapua

Straight out of Capstone - the forecast is now looking like November, 2018.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 2:20:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
@Torchy

tagging for outcome/your thoughts.
The 300NM is the next rifle on my list and I'm just now getting serious about it.
View Quote
Most def. I'm sure a thread will pop up in the Bolt forum once this thing comes in. It's gonna be niiice too. I already have the can, glass, mount, bi-pod and rest of the lipstick.

I will be taking her much beyond 2000 yards. I have a range to 4000 yards but that might be a stretch. We'll see
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 2:29:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I was *this close* to going 300NM when I was looking into ELR rounds/rifles a few months back, but the lack of Lapua brass caused me to wave off. Did the same for the 28 and 30 Nosler as everyone was extolling the virtues of the rounds....as long as they could get brass.

Went with a 338LM and figured I can rebarrel to a 300NM, or whatever the latest and greatest magnum bolt face cartridge is at that time, once I burn out the 338LM barrel.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yeah my buddy talked me into it. I was going to go 300 WinMag but glad I am going NM. I think the NM has a lil more range and the fact that lapua is making brass is ultimately why I went this route. I'll probably buy 100-200 pieces of Peterson brass and just use it until the Lapua comes out. I posted on Hide too and haven't found one person with experience with Peterson yet. Might just guinea pig it.

Quoted:
Update on availability of 338 and 300 Norma Mag brass by Lapua

Straight out of Capstone - the forecast is now looking like November, 2018.
Awesome and good to know. That'll make me feel better about buying interim brass lol. AAAAAAAAAnd if they say November that'll really mean December or later as to when it arrives to my house. Half the reason I was confused about the release date is because multiple sites (grafs, powder valley etc) already have it available for sale just back ordered. Made me wonder if a run came out and I missed it. Looks like that's not the case.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 11:21:18 AM EDT
[#10]
As with anything, there are lots of thing listed in catalogs and web sites that are still vapor wear.
Look at Winchester 284 brass.  Winchester production forecast a production run in May 2012.  That never happened, but fast forward six years and we have recent production 284 brass.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 7:44:55 AM EDT
[#11]
We are sorry to hear that our 6.5 Creedmoor's didn't fit in your chamber.  We have made some changes to improve the caliber since then and would like to send you a sample box to evaluate and hopefully give you a better opinion about us.  Please private message me your address or send me an email [email protected]
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 7:46:09 AM EDT
[#12]
We are sorry to hear that our 6.5 Creedmoor's didn't fit in your chamber.  We have made some changes to improve the caliber since then and would like to send you a sample box to evaluate and hopefully give you a better opinion about us.  Please private message me your address or send me an email [email protected]
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 7:46:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
So this is pretty new to the market and I wanted to know if anyone has had any experience with it yet.

Hate to say it but I bought some new Peterson brass in 6.5Creedmoor about 10 months ago and all the necks were too thick. Like .002-.003 too thick! I am absolutely not buying brass to have to neck turn it so I heed more caution when considering their brass now.

Looking for feedback, post it up if ya got it!
View Quote
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top