Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2013 6:07:20 PM EDT
Hello.
I am preparing to start loading .38 special for the first time (currently load 9mm & .223). These loads will mainly be shot in a .357 Ruger Blackhawk for plinking and also a Smith & Wesson 638 .38 revolver for practice.
For components, I currently have on hand Berrys 158 grain plated round nose bullets and Titegroup. I am using the Berrys 158s as I was able to pick up several K at only $25 per K. I have referenced Hodgdon's load data for Titegroup, and my Hornady & Lee load manuals.
There is not really any published .38 Special load data I can find for plated 158 grain bullets and Titegroup. What I have researched calls for between 3.5 - 3.9 grains of Titegroup under 158 grain Hornady  XTP rounds or using 3.2 - 3.8 grains under 158 lead projectiles.
My question is, for those that load 158 grain plated bullets (Rainier, Berry's RMR, etc) with Titegroup, what is your go to load for plinking? Again this load will mainly be used in my Ruger Blackhawk, but I would like to work up a load that can be used safely in my Smith & Wesson 638 as well.
I would like to stick with Hodgdon Titegroup as I already use it in 9mm and will probably also start loading with Titegroup in .40 S&W in the near future (I'd like to stick with one pistol powder). If there is a better powder that is as economical to shoot for plated bullets, I am open to suggestions too.

I appreciate the help.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top