Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2013 9:11:40 PM EDT
Like the title says I have an old 12 gauge Mec 400 Super Speeder. It is missing part number 448-12, the crimping sleeve. I am well aware that these were designed for the old paper shotgun shells but Mec came out with an add on piece that was a crimp starter so you could use the plastic hulls. I have that part so I'm good there. But I'm missing the crimping sleeve to finish the crimp. A quick google search leads me to believe that the crimping sleeve is a common missing part with these old reloaders and Mec no longer makes them. If no one knows where I could find one, does anyone know where I would find the specs on this part so I could try to have one made? Anyone have one that I could borrow to have the local machine shop copy?

If not anyone know where I could find a used 12 gauge Mec that isn't missing parts for under $50.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 7:18:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like you need to haunt the local gunstores and places that supply trap&skeet shooters.

Here is a link to a local store out here, they have piles of spare parts and older machines that folks have traded in.
Maybe worth a shot :)

http://www.phillipswholesale.net/
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 8:32:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Well I called MEC and they no longer offer any support or parts for that reloader.  They also do not have design specs on how to make one.  I find it kind of odd that they do not have the dimensions of a part, even an old one.  But they did refer me to a company in Missouri that keeps old parts.  I'll check with them.  

I did have another thought,  Could the final crimp die from a different model of reloader or even a different brand of reloader be used to replace the one on my current press (one that doesn't need an extra sleeve to support the shell)?
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:10:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Not knowing that specific model, I wonder if you could use one from the MEC 600, or possibly modify it to fit?

Good luck with your search.

Crimp Assembly
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top