Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/26/2013 3:34:23 PM EDT
So I've already got a stainless steel tumbler and it's great but I'm thinking I can be more efficient if I can shorten tumbling times (say 30-60 minutes and not have to dry cases afterwards) so that I can size and deprime rifle cases. Once I size and deprime, I can then toss them in the stainless steel tumbler for 3-4 hours not only remove lube, but clean the primer pockets.

I'm not looking for a huge tumbler. Probably something that could handle ~200-300 cases at most.

I'd like to keep the price under $100, which seems reasonable after looking around at what's available. There's so many out there, what are you guys having good luck with? I would like something quiet if at all possible, sealed lid would be nice to keep dust down near my bench while it's running.

Also, does corn cob or walnut (or something else) work better for n initial cleaning? I was reading a few weeks ago about a bulk deal on corn cob (I think it was 30 or 50lbs for $30 delivered online) but cannot find the thread again.

Thanks for any advice.

Link Posted: 7/26/2013 3:40:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Look at the lyman turbo 1200 with the removable plug to self drain the media.  I like it a lot.

Walnut for cleaning, corncob for luster

http://www.amazon.com/Lyman-Auto-Flow-with-Media-115-Volt/dp/B000KOW1HG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1374881991&sr=8-3&keywords=lyman+turbo+1200
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 3:47:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a Lyman Turbo2200 with Autoflo I bought it for $95 at Gander Mountain in 98'-00'(IIRC), This is the one I did my 200+hour loaded ammo test with a couple years ago, it is still going strong, 13or 14 years now.
I am sure the new ones are more expensive but this has a cover to eliminate dust flying around and to keep the sound down but the best feature is the auto-flo. When you are done tumbling just pull the drain plug with the tumbler running and the media will drain out leaving the brass swish your hand through the brass a few times and the media will also come out of the inside of the brass itself. If this one ever dies I will buy another and it WILL have the auto-flo feature.

The 2200 easily holds 200 .308 cases.

I use crushed walnut, I get 50lbs bags for $20( last time I bought it 4 years ago) at the abrasives supplier across the street from where I work.

I see it is $129 now through Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Lyman-Turbo-Tumbler-Auto-Flo-115-Volt/dp/B000NTIFNM/ref=pd_sbs_sg_2
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 7:10:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 7:23:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Already got a separator, but I'll check them all out.

Thanks for the info so far.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 6:27:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 9:58:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was thinking if you didn't have a tumbler, you wouldn't have a separator either.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Already got a separator, but I'll check them all out.

Thanks for the info so far.
I was thinking if you didn't have a tumbler, you wouldn't have a separator either.  

When I purchased my Thumlers, I purchased the kit with the media separator. Should have mentioned that.

I do like the feature of the drain plug on the Lyman Turbo model.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top