Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/23/2013 12:26:59 AM EDT
Okay , i am sorta new to the reloading world and have successfully reloaded some sierra 69gr/hornady 68gr stuff. i have a couple hundred montana gold 55gr bullets and some h335 powder to play with. While looking at the hornady 8th edition , i beleive. It says something like 20.8 to 23 max with 55gr loads and h335.

Although i know there not the exact same, and while a different book i had on hand had roughly 23.7-26 gr loads for seirra and nosler fmj's, again using h335.

So with no real numbers for the montana gold stuff that i could find, i loaded up some test loads with them and wanted to hear if you think they will be okay, although i will be looking for over pressure signs.

For a 18" ar

mixed headtamp brass, no LC stuff
2.250"
montana gold 55gr w/ cannelure with a mild crimp
Loads loaded for testing

??
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 12:31:00 AM EDT
[#1]
You should be fine.

In my 5.56 AR's 25.0gr is my mild plinking load.
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 12:53:13 AM EDT
[#2]
How mixed are the headstamps?
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 1:12:08 AM EDT
[#3]
25.0gr's is a standard load many people use and is also the accuracy load in the Nosler manual for a 55gr bullet, you should be fine.

EWP
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 1:23:15 AM EDT
[#4]
PMC, Remington and a little FC brass
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 5:03:36 AM EDT
[#5]
25 gr h335 under a 55 grain pill (in a 5.56 chamber) is where my accuracy node was too. Brass ejects around the normal spot and primer pockets don't look to terrible either.
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 10:57:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Cool, so looks like i  should be fine.

Man i wish someone would publish a big reloading book full of all kinds of different bullets and such.
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 11:28:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Man i wish someone would publish a big reloading book full of all kinds of different bullets and such.

I know the newer Hornady manuals are a little conservative but don't think I would have started at their max. Most likely why you posted. I agree with the others that you should be OK though. I too use a good bit of H-335. Don't be afraid to use CCI-450's with it too if you want. I have gotten some real nice groups with H-335 and 55s with the magnum primers.

As far as books go, it would be helpful for OAL but load wise all you need is a bullet weight and a start charge. Even if you don't have an exact match on bullet weight there is a rule for that too. You use the data for the next closest heavier bullet.

Now for the newer "no lead" bullets you must use specific data.
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 12:05:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I hear ya, the hornady book as what i have cross referenced seems way low on everything compared to seirra,speer,nosler, etc.

On the montana gold stuff, i have found no load data specifically for that type of bullet, maybe i dont have the right book, i just took what i have been searching/reading plus what it says for the other bullet manufactures in the same bullet, which seemed to be 24-26grs of h335 at 2.250-2.260
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 4:40:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I know the newer Hornady manuals are a little conservative but don't think I would have started at their max. Most likely why you posted. I agree with the others that you should be OK though. I too use a good bit of H-335. Don't be afraid to use CCI-450's with it too if you want. I have gotten some real nice groups with H-335 and 55s with the magnum primers.

As far as books go, it would be helpful for OAL but load wise all you need is a bullet weight and a start charge. Even if you don't have an exact match on bullet weight there is a rule for that too. You use the data for the next closest heavier bullet.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bumping this back up, you say you have had good luck using the 450 magnum primers, now is their a  general rule for loading down when switching from to the magnum primers?

Link Posted: 7/27/2013 7:52:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 7:56:44 PM EDT
[#11]
I have loaded several 50cal ammo cans of that bullet with 23 grains of H322 and it makes an outstanding GP blasting load.    
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top