Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2013 6:10:28 PM EDT
I was just wondering if anyone else has been looking at the new case prep center RCBS is going to be releasing soon? I'm tired of spending half a Saturday to trim and prep .223 brass, so I've been looking at the available options. Anythings got to be faster than a Lee zip trim, right? I've looked at the Giraud and it is very nice, although pricey. I've also looked at the Hornady case prep center but have been reading a lot of bad reviews.

This new RCBS prep center looks like they basically took their current case prep center and powered trimmer and incorporated them into one unit. It looks like the price will be about $350 after the rebate RCBS has going. Does anyone with the current prep center or power trimmer have any feedback on quality or efficiency?

Here's a link to the new RCBS prep center.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 7:18:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 5:53:03 AM EDT
[#2]
That new Summit single stage press looks interesting too. I'd like to see one up close.

I'd also like to hear some feedback on the RCBS trimmer. I was contemplating a trimmer to do revolver brass. (what am I thinking, LOL)

ETA, interesting how that link above and even in the RCBS 2013 catalog, it doesn't mention that you can not prime on that new Summit press and that you need a dedicated primer (or use another press), which I only found out by looking it up on the Midwayusa web site.

Link Posted: 2/10/2013 7:54:24 AM EDT
[#3]
I have the older case prep center and the RCBS Trim Pro.  Both work very well and do speed up the processes.  I have the three way cutter on my Trim-Pro.  Once it's adjusted, it will trim, chamfer the inside and debur the outside of the case mouth.

Don't know about the new all in one device, but it would probably be good to use. IMO
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 7:59:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 8:51:52 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm eager to see some reviews and larger pictures of the new RCBS unit.  I have the current model Trim Pro and Case Prep Station.  Today I use a Dewalt power drill for the Trim Pro but would prefer the built-in solution.

Link Posted: 2/10/2013 10:25:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I was just wondering if anyone else has been looking at the new case prep center RCBS is going to be releasing soon? I'm tired of spending half a Saturday to trim and prep .223 brass, so I've been looking at the available options. Anythings got to be faster than a Lee zip trim, right? I've looked at the Giraud and it is very nice, although pricey. I've also looked at the Hornady case prep center but have been reading a lot of bad reviews.

This new RCBS prep center looks like they basically took their current case prep center and powered trimmer and incorporated them into one unit. It looks like the price will be about $350 after the rebate RCBS has going. Does anyone with the current prep center or power trimmer have any feedback on quality or efficiency?

Here's a link to the new RCBS prep center.

Wait, you're saying a Giraud is expensive yet you're willing to shell out $350 for this RCBS contraption?  

For my money, if you already have a method of doing chamfer/debur, and all you are looking for is a powered trimmer, then look at the Worlds Finest Trimmer from Little Crow Gunworks.  Chuck it in the end of a drill, and just stuff brass into it.  No collets, no measuring, no screwing around.  I can trim ~300 pieces an hour working at a VERY leisurely pace.

It's $70.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 10:36:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip

Wait, you're saying a Giraud is expensive yet you're willing to shell out $350 for this RCBS contraption?  

For my money, if you already have a method of doing chamfer/debur, and all you are looking for is a powered trimmer, then look at the Worlds Finest Trimmer from Little Crow Gunworks.  Chuck it in the end of a drill, and just stuff brass into it.  No collets, no measuring, no screwing around.  I can trim ~300 pieces an hour working at a VERY leisurely pace.

It's $70.

I'm still not a fan of trimmers that index from the shoulder.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 11:40:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It's $70.

I should've been a little more detailed in my original statement. I think the Giraud is expensive for what it is, requiring extra shell holders to trim different calibers.

Link Posted: 2/10/2013 11:51:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip

It's $70.

I'm still not a fan of trimmers that index from the shoulder.

Why?  Aren't results what matter in the end?  I can trim 300pcs as described above and they all be within a thousandth or two of each other.  Once the shoulder is "put back in the right place" it doesn't matter what it indexes off as long as the results are consistent.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 7:35:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 12:21:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm eager to see some reviews and larger pictures of the new RCBS unit.  I have the current model Trim Pro and Case Prep Station.  Today I use a Dewalt power drill for the Trim Pro but would prefer the built-in solution.

Looks really nice, but at $375 (at Grafs) is steep.  I looked up the current prices of the Trim Pro (manual version) and the Trim Mate at Midway.......Trimmer's on sale for $93, and the T.M. is $120, so that's $213.  That's $188 cheaper.  

On the plus side it has a stronger motor than the Trim Mate, and boasts variable speed choices, and like the Trim Pro, will use the 3-way cutter option.  On the minus side, you need a long spot available on the bench.  That was a problem for me when I motorized my Forster, so I mounted it vertically....like a Hornady.  But then I prefer the Trim Mate's vertical prep stations compared to Hornady's.  I enjoy having gravity to help with both operations.  Plus I have a quick case insertion (an advantage the Trim Pro has), plus an auto-case-eject feature nobody has yet.  I'm going to have to see some magic I don't expect before I replace my Trim Mate/Vertical Forster setup.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 7:20:03 AM EDT
[#12]
I ran into this thread when I saw the Universal Case Prep Center on the RCBS site under What's New and did search hoping to find a video of the Prep Center.  I've had a Trim Pro for several years and have been debating getting a separate Trim Mate but bench space is an issue.  The Trim Pro is a nice piece of equipment and produces consistent results but I'm thinking this new case prep center will answer my space problem.  I sure would like to see a video of the darned thing in action.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top