Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/22/2012 10:22:04 AM EDT
Happy Thanksgiving Everyone !!

I have the Lee 2nd edition Reloading Manual and I was thinking about picking up different one, as I usually get some gift cards for book stores at Christmas.

I was looking at one of these,

Sierra "5th Edition Rifle and Pistol Manual of Reloading Data" Reloading Manual

Speer "Reloading Manual #14"

Which ones do you like?

strangms
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 10:25:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Lymans for the most part. ABC ia another good choice.

I shoot hornady bullets quite often so I picked up a copy of their manual. covers their bullets specifically.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 10:40:17 AM EDT
[#2]
My 2 newest are the Lee and the Hornady 8th. The more I use or try to use the Lee the more I dislike it. It does have some good info though. The Hornady has a good amount of milsurp data and that was my main reason for getting it, that and the fact I use a lot of Hornady bullets.

I like the Sierra manual and my old (original came with my kit) Speer manual has served me well too. I have recently got into casting my own bullets and really don't have any problems but have heard (read here) that the Lyman is a good one for that too.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 10:53:16 AM EDT
[#3]
hornady all the way. it is the best one

i also use a lyman but i don't like it as much it leaves too much information out for my liking
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 10:59:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Lee and Lyman.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 11:13:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks Guys for all the information,

Which edition of the Lyman and the Hornady?  

Are these the right ones?

Lyman "Reloading Handbook: 49th Edition" Reloading Manual Softcover

Hornady "Handbook of Cartridge Reloading: 9th Edition" Reloading Manual

strangms
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 11:17:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Thanks Guys for all the information,

Which edition of the Lyman and the Hornady?  

Are these the right ones?

Lyman "Reloading Handbook: 49th Edition" Reloading Manual Softcover

Hornady "Handbook of Cartridge Reloading: 9th Edition" Reloading Manual

strangms

I think those are the latest editions.

Personally, I wouldn't get the hornady unless you're planning on loading hornady. The data will be specific to their bullets. Just like Sierra and Speer.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 11:56:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Speer here, but I have others for double checking and cross-references.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 12:57:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Hornady, I have the 8th edition.
As said, if you shoot a lot of hornady bullets(as I do) its invaluable.

Of course a LOT of the same data is online nowadays, AccurateArms data is a downlaodable pdf, tho sadly there are gaps in their lists...like no 9mmMAK loads...
other powder manufs have lots of similar lists.

The Hodgdon Data website applet page prints out nicely, I looked up all mine and ran prints and put them in my data book.  Very handy.

Happy Thanksgiving All !
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 1:06:29 PM EDT
[#9]
I like the Lee because they have a lot of handgun bullet options including Copper Plated.  They also sort the data in descending order of velocity. Also, I like the Lyman because it covers more than just one brand of bullets (same with the Lee). I guess if you use a lot of Hornady, Speer, or Sierra you may have better results with those manuals. I also cross reference with the powder manufacturer's website data.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 1:06:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I shoot a lot of the Sierra in .223. Some Speer and Hornady, but mainly Sierra.
So I guess one from Sierra would be in order.

May give a list of the others to the kids for Christmas and see if I get Lucky.

strangms
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 1:12:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Lyman hands down.  next id say speer or sierra.  what sucks is the Hornady manual but even worse is i use alot of Hornady bullets.  idk if they just lowball the crap out of their max loads or what but they are NEVER anywhere close to what my max will be vs their "suggested" max.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 2:20:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Well here are things for the OP to answer?
What bullets do you shoot the most of? And, that will answer the question!

The Sierra 5th has not been updated in a long time. But, then Sierra has not really come out with that many new bullets. So updates are really not needed. They have a separate section for 223 AR data which is good especially with the heavier bullets.
The Speer 14th is a manual.  Speer does not sell that many rifle bullets. And, well pistol bullets are pretty much what I consider Generic.
The Nosler 6th is actually pretty new, but Nosler has halted distribution of their new 7th Edition due to major issues....If shoot Nosler bullets get this data from the source...
The Hornady 9th is fresh off the presses.  Again, if you shoot Hornady this is the book...plus they have separate sections for Garands and AR's.
The Barnes 4th is again the best source of data for Barnes bullets.
The Swift manual again is best source of data for their bullets.
The VV Manual covers their powders with various mfgr's projecticles.
The Lee manual is not worth it, it covers a mix and match of bulelts.
The Berger is fresh off the press too, but it does not have data on their 338 cal bullets.....

With rifle data you have to respect the source components used to develop the data.  The case used to develop data is a very important....so it is always good to have a lot of resources.  Case in point if you had WW brass and were to base you load work up on Sierra data you might be hindering your work as Sierra used Federal brass. So you really have to heed the advice of reduce 10 percent and work up.
Rifle Bullets have different characteristics with respect to design so getting data from the mfgr is the SMARTEST move for a reloader. Handgun bullets are pretty much generic so data crosses over with out a lot of concerns.  Now, when it comes to lead bullet data in Hornady and Speer is for SWAGED Bullets NOT HARD CAST LEAD.  So the Lyman 49th is the best source for handgun data.  As, with plated bullets one uses cast bullet data not jacked data.

Hodgdon ( IMR, Hodgdon, & Win), Alliant, Ramshot, VV, Accurate have web sites with a significant amout of data.

Bullet Mfgr's have data posted on their web sites, too.  And, some have Ballisticians to field calls from you, also!

One can nver have too many manuals!  There is a wealth of information in each manual!

The Quick Load software which is another tool to use!

There are so many resources......and copy cat reloading from the various forums is IDIOTIC.  BE SAFE when working up loads for
SAFETY, ACCURACY, and RELIABILITY.  Each gun is a rule unto itself.  So your own home work!  

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:02:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The Nosler 6th is actually pretty new, but Nosler has halted distribution of their new 7th Edition due to major issues....If shoot Nosler bullets get this data from the source...

What's the deal w/ the 7th edition? I still see it for sale at midway, brownells, etc.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:58:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:26:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Does the Lyman 49 cover .300 Blackout?
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:34:30 PM EDT
[#16]
The one I use the most is Lyman 49 and the the Lyman Cast Bullet Manual.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 10:00:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 3:17:55 AM EDT
[#18]
There is also Loaddata.com.  They adverstise 250K loads and if you can't find what you are looking for you can email them and they will get back to you.  I'm still exploring there and the jury is still out.  $24/year.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 4:43:41 AM EDT
[#19]
I grab the Sierra book (and sierra bullets) when I want accuracy in any rifle.

The Lyman book and the Lyman cast bullet book have lots of info not found anywhere else.

Use old books carefully but don't toss them.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:45:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Load manuals isn't an item individual preferences\suggestions lend well to others seeking advice. I think everyone or most everyone agrees Lee and Lyman are two must haves. From there what manual you buy really depends on one thing. Brand of bullets you shoot. If you shoot lead always you're covered from A to Z with Lee and Lyman manuals combined with powder manufactuer resources found on line. I buy manuals as I buy bullets, in other words,

Brand X bullets requires Brand X manual.

So with my first box of Sierra bullets came a Sierra manual. Hornady bullets required Hornady manual, Speer bullets required Speer manual.
Barnes bullets absolutely without question require Barnes manual or the data found on Barnes website. Barnes is one of the few who make data available online you find in their manuals. What you don't get is all the other stuff found only in Barnes manual. VihtaVouri is another with online data but I'd pay for one of their manuals everytime an update was published just for the technical insight contained in front half, same with Barnes.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 10:20:05 AM EDT
[#21]
I just ordered Hornady #8 for 6.99

Oh and spent another $700 to top it off

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 11:59:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Any time I have a question on data, they all come out.

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 4:46:19 PM EDT
[#23]
The Nosler Rep would not expand on the reasons for halting shipments of the 7th Edition, that there are major issues...yeah there are still vendors with copies...but....
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 6:39:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I just ordered Hornady #8 for 6.99

Oh and spent another $700 to top it off

Fantastic deal, I was going to post Graf's 9.99 Hornady special on the number 8 edition on their Black Friday ad.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:16:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:32:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Exactly, for 29.99 you get the latest and greatest manual.  

Pretty common to sell the $10 last model manuals.  Nosler normally does it on their own website.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:54:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Im OK with that, it was $7 tossed into another order.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top