Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2011 7:50:30 AM EDT
Can anyone relate their experience with terminal performance of various X-bullets?
I'm thinking of loading some for my AR.

In the reports I've read, people either say they are wonderful, or they are horrible (e.g. don't expand at the
advertised velocity, or the petals easily break off...)

Please specify if you are talking about the "original", the TSX, or the tipped TSX.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 8:12:33 AM EDT
[#1]
I used 62 grain TSX last year for 6 deer.  This was out of 1-9 twist Stevens 200.  1 MOA.  My 1-12 AR was getting 3 MOA so we didn't use the AR.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 1:15:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I used 62 grain TSX last year for 6 deer.  This was out of 1-9 twist Stevens 200.  1 MOA.  My 1-12 AR was getting 3 MOA so we didn't use the AR.

Thanks.
Did the bullets have good effect?
What was the range you shot at and how far did the deer run?

Did you have the opportunity to examine the wound characteristics or recover the bullets?

I have read some reports of the bullets passing through both lungs broadside without expanding.
I can find the TSX bullets easier than the tipped TSX bullets.  But, I'm wondering if the tipped bullets
might expand more reliably.  Why would Barnes redesign the TSX?
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 3:58:21 PM EDT
[#3]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_42/351929_130_Barnes_XLC_in__30_06__.html

Sorry for the cold link.

I posted a similar question in this forum a couple weeks ago.

It seems to me that the Barnes X-type bullets are on the tough side.  The experienced users tell me that you need to run them fast, which means dropping to a lighter bullet than you're used to hunting with. At least that's going to be my strategy this year. I'm switching from tried and true 150 Hornady Interlocks for deer to 130 Barnes XLC in my .30-06.

I am loading them to the gills with IMR3031, but safely. They are incredibly accurate in my rifle. The only other bullet that has been as accurate in this rifle was the 200 gr. Barnes X, over H4350.

I once intended to use that bullet (the 200 gr. X.). on elk, but testing in wet newsprint suggested that it didn't mushroom reliably at '06 velocities. (At least in newsprint. Elk meat; I dunno.)
I bet it would be hell on wheels in a .300 Weatherby or 300 Remington Ultra-Mag.

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 4:35:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I have used the TTSX 100 gr in my 6.5 Grendel and the 115 gr TSX in my 257 Roberts for hog hunting with good effect. I have never recovered a bullet as they all have been pass through with large exit wounds.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top