Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2011 10:22:59 AM EDT
Just picked up a Hornady match grade bushing NS die to use for my Rem 700 in .308.  Measured necks on some ammo I had reloaded with Hornadys New Dimension FL sizing die and ordered the .332 bushing.  The smallest Midway sells for that die.

It worked great, on Rem and Federal brass.  But when going to seat bullets in some Hornady brass the press seemed to go a little too easy.  Pulled the round out and was able to remove the bullet by hand.  Same thing with BHA Match brass.

This is all 3x fired brass, not neck turned, trimmed once.  Frustrated, figured Hornady would make a bushing small enough to properly size their own brass.

Also, recently got a Super Swage.  Works great for two things, Removing primer crimps obviously, and showing off just how inconsistent brass is.

OK, weak rant over,  still like red kool-aid
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 4:11:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Rudy,
        Out of curiosity from reading you post I went and sized some Hornady match brass that I had lying around with the .334 bushing for my Hornady neck sizer. The cases I sized held a 155gr bullet tight enough that I had to pull it with a collet puller.
Did you have your sizer adjusted properly? Not criticizing, just an observation. I like the Hornady bushing neck sizer, as a side benefit it can also bump shoulders.

SY

Link Posted: 8/8/2011 5:28:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Redding bushings should fit your Hornady die.  You can get any size.   I use the TIN coated ones in my match grade full length .308 die.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 11:06:51 PM EDT
[#3]
You could try a Lee FCD.

Yes, I know that crimping is anathema to some, but of those who have actually tried and tested, a fair number either have no difference in accuracy, or even a slight increase in accuracy (presumably from more consistent tension).  If it works for you, then it works.  If not, sell it for nearly what you paid, you'll only be out a few bucks.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 11:50:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Sometimes you just get some brass with unusually thin necks.  I have a batch of 50 Winchester 308s from hunting ammo that I need a .331" bushing for, for even the slightest amount of neck tension.  My .332" bushing will just barely grip the bullet, but I can twist them out with some effort.

All of my other Winchester brass, I size with a .334" bushing and things are peachy.

Chris
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 12:03:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Yep Redding bushing will work perfect, I also use the Tin coated bushings but the plain steel ones like Hornady sells works great also. You can also use Redding's carbide expander ball in a Hornady die and the carbide balls that Hornady sells for some calibers are actually made by Redding for Hornady.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 2:38:39 PM EDT
[#6]
>>>>>>>You can also use Redding's carbide expander ball in a Hornady die and the carbide balls that Hornady sells for some calibers are actually made by Redding for Hornady.
Ooooooo, that I didn't know!  Thanks for that info.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 8:05:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Rudy,
        Out of curiosity from reading you post I went and sized some Hornady match brass that I had lying around with the .334 bushing for my Hornady neck sizer. The cases I sized held a 155gr bullet tight enough that I had to pull it with a collet puller.
Did you have your sizer adjusted properly? Not criticizing, just an observation. I like the Hornady bushing neck sizer, as a side benefit it can also bump shoulders.

SY

Did 60 other cases just fine,  even bumping the shoulder just a hair for ease of chambering.  Could the necks possibly be work hardened enough after 3 or 4 firings and FL sizings that they are springing back?

The hornady and BHA brass were exactly .308 inside by my calipers, the Federal and Rem were .305 with the same bushing.  A little bit tight, but the results have been good.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 8:07:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Sometimes you just get some brass with unusually thin necks.  I have a batch of 50 Winchester 308s from hunting ammo that I need a .331" bushing for, for even the slightest amount of neck tension.  My .332" bushing will just barely grip the bullet, but I can twist them out with some effort.

All of my other Winchester brass, I size with a .334" bushing and things are peachy.

Chris

Does BHA make their own brass?  I've heard that Winchester might supply them with brass.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:25:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Could the necks possibly be work hardened enough after 3 or 4 firings and FL sizings that they are springing back?

Yes.  I anneal my .308's after 4 firings for this reason.  I was seeing .001 of springback on the fifth sizing of LC brass.  Note that I use a bushings die and size to my desired I.D. so I'm more sensitive to spring back.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 6:23:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Chris

In the past I was a press mechanic at a can plant making EZ open can ends.  If my ends varied as much as most brass seems to, I would have been shit-canned in no time flat.  I wonder if Winchester is hiring?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top