Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2011 10:41:24 AM EDT
I have been reloading for more than 30 years. I recently bought a DPMS Bull 24 AR15 to take on a prairie dog shoot. I have loaded in excess of 50 different loads with various powders, bullets and brass in an effort to find a really accurate load. Guess what shoots best. Some Monarch stuff I bought at a gun show about a year ago. Beats my loads, Blackhills loads, and Hornady loads by a factor of 0.5. These el cheapo cartridges shoot inside of one inch at 200 yards in some fairly gusty winds. The good thing is I have about one thousand of them left and I am good to go for the shoot.

Go figure!

Edit: They are brass PPU headstamp.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 11:51:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Curiosity would have the better of me in your shoes. No doubt would I pull one apart. weigh charge weight and attempt to identify powder. Just a thought.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:09:44 PM EDT
[#2]
That's funny as hell... I had something similar happen with an M1A several years back.  Tried handloads, match-grade everything.... No luck.  Looked like it wouldn't ground any better than 2-3 MOA.  

Swede surplus dated 1971 shot within an inch @ 100 meters.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:18:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Really?  Was it the brass cased PRVI stuff?

- AG
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:20:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:27:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Best factory load that I've tried in my .308 AR has been Georgia Arms 168gr BTHP "precision" loads.

$38.50 / 50rd

In my gun it's identical to FGMM and better than Hornady match, out to 500yd.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 3:10:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Best factory load that I've tried in my .308 AR has been Georgia Arms 168gr BTHP "precision" loads.

$38.50 / 50rd

In my gun it's identical to FGMM and better than Hornady match, out to 500yd.

I have 1000 rnds of that ammo.  Been sitting around for about 7to8 years now.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top