Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2011 7:13:38 AM EDT
Greeting all, first time poster...shot my first reloads yesterday, sorry no pics I guess I was just happy nothing went wrong. Anyway out of 50 rounds of .223 I had two that after chambering, got pushed into the cartridge. Does anyone know why this occurs and how to prevent in the future? It made extracting a huge p.i.t.a.....thanks in advanced!
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:33:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:39:04 AM EDT
[#2]
As stated by dryflash3 we need a whole lot more info and pics would be extremely useful
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 1:03:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I had two that after chambering, got pushed into the cartridge.

You mean like "telescope?"

Usually, not enough neck tension (or crimp) to hold the bullet secure enough while it transitions from the mag to the chamber.

Or.........

Also look at your firearm.   Feed ramp or mag issues.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:06:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I had two that after chambering, got pushed into the cartridge.

You mean like "telescope?"

Usually, not enough neck tension (or crimp) to hold the bullet secure enough while it transitions from the mag to the chamber.

Or.........

Also look at your firearm.   Feed ramp or mag issues.

Aloha, Mark

Yes it is like "telescoping," the bullet pops in and out of the cartridge. Possibly may have not put enough crimp on it...have never had any other problems with ammo to this point. Thanks for the help! To the poster above, yes I trimmed cartridge to 1.75 with overall length at 2.20. Bullets were just the cheap Remington bulk with cannelure's but all the other rounds fired without a hitch so I'm thinking that it was not enough crimp. How would know about neck tension whether its good enough from the get go?

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 7:35:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 3:55:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks dryflash....would there be any reason why it would happen to 2 rounds out of 50?
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 5:24:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Thanks dryflash....would there be any reason why it would happen to 2 rounds out of 50?

Throw of the dice ?

Were they from the top of the column of ammo , or bottom ( in the mag ) ?

I never used to crimp .223 , until I acquired an AR that did what you are describing .  I then started crimping all my .223  .

Consider buying a Lee  Factory Crimp Die .

God bless
Wyr

PS  Look at the relation between the barrel  feed ramp and the feed ramp made into the upper . (  If I am remembering correctly ? )

Is it a smooth transition or is there a place for the bullet to hang up ?
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:10:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Did you resize all of the brass? The reason I ask is because I have bought new brass before, thinking it was ready to load as-is. Then after loading the brass I discovered I had some rounds that had insufficient neck tension like you describe. From then on I always resize every case I plan to reload, even if it's shiny new virgin brass. By resizing all my brass, even new brass, I am assured of consistent neck tension. Plus a lot of times new brass has little dents in the case mouth that need to be straightened out before loading.

I also use a Lee FCD on all my .223 loads. It doesn't take much to apply enough crimp to hold the bullet in place.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:06:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Throw of the dice ?

Were they from the top of the column of ammo , or bottom ( in the mag ) ?

I never used to crimp .223 , until I acquired an AR that did what you are describing .  I then started crimping all my .223  .

Consider buying a Lee  Factory Crimp Die .

God bless
Wyr

PS  Look at the relation between the barrel  feed ramp and the feed ramp made into the upper . (  If I am remembering correctly ? )

Is it a smooth transition or is there a place for the bullet to hang up ?[/quote]

You know come to think of it, they were the last 2 rounds of that batch. I do have the Lee FCD and I "thought" that I had crimped all equally but apparently not. I will crimp them all a little better next time, thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 5:50:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 9:16:26 PM EDT
[#11]
You should be able to put the loaded round point down on a scale and press down with at least 14 lbs, with no shortening of the round.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top