Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2010 5:52:17 AM EDT
I am wondering if I should choose a specialty primer with a hard cup such as Remington's 7.62 primer or a standard large rifle primer for use in a DPMS type 308 AR.  I reload for 223 at the moment and am using Wolf's 223 primer which has a hard cup but they don't have an equivalent for a 308. Is the risk of slam fires that high with properly reloaded ammo where the primers are properly seated? Or is this one of those urban legends?
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:31:13 AM EDT
[#1]
CCI-#34 Mil-Spec primers
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:42:08 AM EDT
[#2]
If I remember correctly almost all large rifle primers are the same thickness as far as the cup is concerned . I'm sure there may be a brand or two that some would say is softer cup material , but I use CCI, REM.,FED., & WW. with out any problems in both my AR 308's .

Now if you are going for max loads , you may want to use a mag. primer or if you are a bench rest shooter or very long range , a bench rest primer may do it for ya.

I have been shooting & reloading for select fire & semi auto AR's for over thirty years and have used all the primer types (except Wolf )out there & have never had a slam fire . Not saying it could not happen ,but you will have to have a combination of things wrong with the rifle & ammo to make it happen.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 7:03:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
CCI-#34 Mil-Spec primers

Using such extremely hard primers could be a reasonable precaution.  Or it could be over-kill & lead to light strikes, or worse, hang fires.

Anyone with more actual, "real-world," qualified experience here?

NOTE: If you are worried about it, you might want to avoid Federal brand primers because the priming compound used is composed of a "basic" formulation of lead styphnate rather than the "normal" lead styphnate formulation found in Win/Rem/CCI brands.  Dunno what the russians use.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 7:05:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If I remember correctly almost all large rifle primers are the same thickness as far as the cup is concerned . I'm sure there may be a brand or two that some would say is softer cup material , but I use CCI, REM.,FED., & WW. with out any problems in both my AR 308's .

Now if you are going for max loads , you may want to use a mag. primer or if you are a bench rest shooter or very long range , a bench rest primer may do it for ya.

I have been shooting & reloading for select fire & semi auto AR's for over thirty years and have used all the primer types (except Wolf )out there & have never had a slam fire . Not saying it could not happen ,but you will have to have a combination of things wrong with the rifle & ammo to make it happen.

Well OP - there you go.  Nothing to worry about, as I suspected.  

survivalshop - thanks for sharing your expericene.  It seems quite extensive.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top