Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2010 9:31:38 AM EDT
Tried the search with no luck.  Sorry if this has been addressed.
Any difference in accuracy between the Hornady and Lake City (Wideners) in 55 gr fmjbt?  I'm looking to make decent quality blasting ammo, and don't want a crappy projectile.  I don't really care if it is "milspec", just want cost effective and reasonably accurate ammo. Any other options that are of comparable price and quality that I'm missing?
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:45:11 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm sure Hornady is more accurate but real M193 is made to frag better/easier for killing "stuff".
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 12:35:38 PM EDT
[#2]
The Hornady will be more accurate.  The ogive of the Hornadys are more consistent, making them easier to seat to a consistent depth and OAL.  The LCs aren't bad, but avoid the bulk Winchester 55 FMJs.

The most accurate 55 FMJ that I've found is the Sierra, but they are way to pricey for bulk loading plinking ammo.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 1:00:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:29:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Cant offer any advice on the lake city yet but here is the results from the Hornady 55gr FMJBT bulk pack that I recently loaded. A buddy of mine just dropped off some lake city pulls and brass so I sould have some results from that some time later this week.

10 shot group, 26gr of W748, 2.220 COL shot our of my superior barrels hoplite build at 100 yards. Group is about 1 3/8 inch as best as I can measure it. Not too bad for cheap plinking ammo.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:41:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I would never bet that pulled bullets came from Lake City.  Some of that surplus stuff isn't worth the primer and powder, not to mention the work to load it.

http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=8690&dir=278|281|864

I guess they could be pulled (dosen't say they aren't), but they are advertised as new, FWIW.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:34:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top