Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2010 3:47:32 PM EDT
Can anyone give me some advice on a good one to buy? Also the media to get and any other items I might need. I know nothing about tumblers just looking for one that can get my brass clean not take to much time and is quite.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 3:51:05 PM EDT
[#1]
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1513345&page=1

This route seems the best, quiet and delivers phenominal results.  All my stuff is on order.

I have a lyman 2500 and a lyman 1200 and they're not too bad if you put them in a closet.  No tumbler is going to be extremely quiet due to what it's intended purpose is.

With regard to media, either the aforementioned SS or use corcob which you can get from graingers (40lb bag from graingers 20/40 grit)
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 4:26:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Harbor Freight sells them.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 4:30:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Most of the time, I use one of those red rock polishers with ceramic pellets. It does an awesome job.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 5:05:31 PM EDT
[#4]
If you want to go basic and cheap, I started with a hornady tumbler and Lyman nut media.  The media will last a long time.  As a tip, cut up a used fabric softner sheat and throw it in.  It will cut down on static and collect dust.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 5:23:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1513345&page=1

This route seems the best, quiet and delivers phenominal results.  All my stuff is on order.

I have a lyman 2500 and a lyman 1200 and they're not too bad if you put them in a closet.  No tumbler is going to be extremely quiet due to what it's intended purpose is.

With regard to media, either the aforementioned SS or use corcob which you can get from graingers (40lb bag from graingers 20/40 grit)

How do you get the SS media? That looks nice!
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 5:39:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought some "Lizard Litter" at the pet store awhile back. It's ground walnut shells and about half the cost of the stuff they sell to reloaders.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 7:17:39 PM EDT
[#7]
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/2MVR4?Pid=search

There's about the best deal you'll find on media.  I would recommend a lyman tumbler. The one I'm currently using is 27 years old, still going strong, and I'm considering upgrading to a larger lyman.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 8:59:40 PM EDT
[#8]
My Thumblers Ultra-vibe 18 has been working for over 20 years but they are not the cheapest.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 9:03:05 PM EDT
[#9]
The bigger vibratory tumblers (15lb+ media capacity) like the one at Harbor Freight are super quite in comparison to the smaller ones.  Mine has been running hard for over a year now .... looks to be a winner.

Sarg
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 3:16:41 AM EDT
[#10]
I got a new RCBS vibratory 2 years sgo. Crused walnut, dryer sheets and a capful of noxon every six months.
Works great. It's in my basement on my bench and pretty quiet (I cant hear it running upstairs. They dont "walk" across the table either.

I do need a good separator now though. I make a mess every time I tumble.
And you will quickly learn what cases to tumble with each other and which to avoid. I once put 50 of each (45, 40 and 9mm) in it and all I got back was 50 dirty stuck togher brass sandwiches.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 3:38:47 AM EDT
[#11]
If your looking for a sweet tumbler setup theres a guy on snipershide that sells
some. If your looking for somthing cheap a lyman works. Just comes down to
How many cases and how much will you use it.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 6:20:22 AM EDT
[#12]
The Cabelas media seperator works well and is only $27.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 6:22:25 AM EDT
[#13]
If you just want somethig basic..........I bought a tumbler from Mid-South.... was around  $35.00.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 8:02:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

How do you get the SS media? That looks nice!

The OP for one of the Thumlers & SS media threads.  IM him and he'll get you an email address.   A batch for the Thumlers is 5# and I understand it lasts and lasts.  I'm in line waiting for a delivery and can't wait to give this stuff a try...  

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 8:05:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Dupe
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 8:22:00 AM EDT
[#16]
This is the kit I went with, those are shipped prices:
http://www.berrysmfg.com/product.aspx?i=14545&c=47&pp=8&sb=0&p=0
Go with the rotary sifter, everything you need is included.
Been using it for almost 2 years now, no problems.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top