Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2009 2:02:55 PM EDT
OK fellows, not that I'm a sissy or anything, but I'm coming off of surgery for a detached retina... so I'm a little nervous about heavy recoil!

I'm looking at a 30-06 rifle.  I see that Sierra makes a 125 grain Pro-Hunter bullet that is rated for the local Whitetail deer.   Where I hunt, the shots seldom present over 200 yards, mostly under 100 yards actually.

So, can I develop a lower recoil load for a 30-06 using this bullet and still keep some kind of accuracy?  Anybody have experience with such?

Thanks in advance,

JerryinPA
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 2:07:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
OK fellows, not that I'm a sissy or anything, but I'm coming off of surgery for a detached retina... so I'm a little nervous about heavy recoil!

I'm looking at a 30-06 rifle.  I see that Sierra makes a 125 grain Pro-Hunter bullet that is rated for the local Whitetail deer.   Where I hunt, the shots seldom present over 200 yards, mostly under 100 yards actually.

So, can I develop a lower recoil load for a 30-06 using this bullet and still keep some kind of accuracy?  Anybody have experience with such?

Thanks in advance,

JerryinPA

IMHO.........don't shoot until your Doctor gives you the OK.

Why take a chance?

Aloha, Mark

PS.............not to mention that there other choices (of calibers) for a deer rifle.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 2:09:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks in advance,

JerryinPA

IMHO.........don't shoot until your Doctor gives you the OK.

Why take a chance?

Aloha, Mark

PS.............not to mention that there other choices (of calibers) for a deer rifle.

+1 good advice just wait.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 3:33:52 PM EDT
[#3]
A customer wanted reduce recoil loads so I pointed him to the ones in Hodgdons manual .  After working up some loads he said they worked real well.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:10:19 PM EDT
[#4]
One of the guys at work has a detaching (not detached yet) retina.  He has essentially put up his rifles and taken up handgunning  more seriously.

Talk to your eye doc obviously, but I'd think seriously about maybe a large frame revolver or TC Encore pistol instead of a rifle this year.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:24:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I buy the Remington reduced factory loads for the wife. Very mild!
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:59:38 PM EDT
[#6]
In 308, I load a 125 gr Sierra spitzer with the starting load.

Lot less recoil than a 180 gr.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:22:53 PM EDT
[#7]
At the risk of starting a flame war, at the Hodgdon reloading data site http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp they have a 30-06 150 grain load using 13.3 to 19.0 grains of Trail Boss.  I don't know for sure when they posted this load (also have it for .308 too) but I think it would have been after July when I was searching for light loads myself.  I have not tried this load and I do not own any trail boss powder.

Bullet Weight (Gr.)  Manufacturer  Powder  Bullet Diam.  C.O.L.  
150 GR. NOS BT  IMR  Trail Boss  .308"  3.250"  

Starting load
Grs.  Vel. (ft/s)  Pressure  
13.3  1061  14,700 PSI      

Max Load
Grs.  Vel. (ft/s)  Pressure
19.0  1477  26,400 PSI

WARNING, THESE ARE UNPUBLISHED/UNTESTED BY MANUFACTURES LOADS.  USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.  I ASSUME NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR USE OF THE FOLLOWING DATA.  

I hope I am not violating any forum rules here, if I am, Aero, please delete.

You can also search around on the internet and find loads using Red Dot, Unique & Blue Dot powder.  I have personally used a load of 13.0 grains of Blue Dot and a 110gr Hornady SP with no ill effects and have shot that in a vintage military match in July & August.  I'll be using that load this Saturday in the next match.  I also raise the muzzle and shake the rifle a bit to get the powder down toward the primer before each shot because of one of the comments in the thread.  So far I have shot ~75 rounds of blue dot/30-06 loads, so don't think I've shot 1,000s of these with no problem.  This is still very experimental - I will finish the 1st box of 100 bullets this weekend at the match.

Here is a copy of a posting I made at another site in July, PM me if you want the URL so you can read the whole thing.  I will tell you that several people said I was nuts using an untested load like that and was liable to have my rifle blow up in my face.  You have been warned, I am not trying to hide anything.

Here are the results of my experiments in the back yard today, you might get a completely different result in your rifle.

Rifle: M1903A1
Temp: 84 F
Humidity: Not bad (highly technical term)
Elevation: 1650 ft
Wind: Gusty at 0-15mph from 11 o'clock
Brass: Mix Military, mostly P8 75 headstamp with cases weighing 200+-2 grains.
Primer: CCI 200 large rifle.
Blue Dot: Lot BD134, circa 1990ish.
Bullet : Hornady 110gr SP (#3010) Bullet Length: ~.825"
COAL: 3.110" (~0.265 or 0.86 calibers seated)

Each load was trickled on an RCBS 505 scale, verified with a digital scale at the time of seating the bullet. 18 total rounds were loaded, 3 each of 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 & 15 grains of Blue Dot. Rifle was in a rest and triggered via a string from 10 ft (paranoid while experimenting). This was not accuracy testing, this was to look for pressure signs and measure velocities looking for flaky spikes. I was single loading and shooting at 50 yards slightly downhill, so I would assume the powder was more toward the front of the case. No round exhibited pressure signs, no problem with extraction, no bright marks on case head, primers were still well rounded with no signs of backing out. The 11 and 10 grain BD rounds were sootier around the case mouth from what I assume was lower pressure.

Results
15 gr: 1797, 1796, 1763 fps
14 gr: 1646, 1656, 1631 fps
13 gr: NA (didn't have Crony on), 1535, 1550 fps
12 gr: 1400, 1435, 1392 fps
11 gr: 1306, 1289, 1343 fps
10 gr: 1093, 1077, 1053 fps

When the velocities were graphed, they looked fairly linear with a small upward bump at 11 grains. This bump is not nearly large enough for me to use the term spike. This was also the weight that had the largest velocity variation - although 3 rounds is not the world's best sample size.

At one point in the thread, I asked a poster to post a graph from quick load that would give the pressure curve for my 13.0gr load - which peaked at a little less than 10,000psi.  This was after he posted a QL pressure curve that peaked at a tad under 100,000psi if everything went bad at the same time.  I asked for more explanation of what he did to peak the load like that and his reply was
I don't think you quite understand what I was describing. Think of it this way. If you put 13 grs of BD in the 30-06 case then the powder is only occupying 25% of the available space.  
If the powder is sitting against the bullet (because you lowered the muzzle) then when you pull the trigger there is the remote possibilty due to a confluence of factors that the primer blast will push the bullet and the powder into the bore before the powder ignites. When this happens pressure go extreme.

I do not have a copy of QL and know very little about it.

Also in that thread, someone gave me this link which you might want to check out for reduced loads: http://www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm

If you should decide to experiment (against your Dr's orders I might add) be VERY VERY VERY careful of double charging.  It was recommended to me to charge 1 case with powder, then seat the bullet, then go to the next case to remove the possibility of a double charge.  Being hard headed, I did not do it that way, but I put each charged case on a digital scale right before I seated the bullet.  If the case+powder+primer weighed more than 115 215 grains, I dumped the powder back into a scale to check it.  (1 case out of 100 failed, the powder charge was fine, the case weighed 3 grains more than normal)

A double charge at 26 grains may or may not be bad because the theoretical max with blue dot is 26 grains in a 30-06 case.  The problem is a case holds ~54 grains of blue dot and that would be bad.  Real bad.

Again, I hope I have not violated any rules posting this.

****edit
changed case weight of 115grains to 215 grains

I chose the load from my testing of 13 grains of blue dot because 1) I really want to use lead bullets and did not want to get above 1600fps to get a barrel leading problem.  2) 10 & 11 grains were sooty around the mouth which I took to mean low pressure.  3) If I double charged at 13 grains that didn't put me above theoretical max and 4) was the most accurate when I tested 12 & 13 grain loads for accuracy.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:50:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a similar situation.  My daughter wants my .458 WM.  I tried to down load it from 510 to 350 grs.  I can't tell the difference in recoil.

So I decided to build her a 300 H&H. and down load it to '06 recoil levels.  Found this a problem as well.  She wants a 'Classic' M98 rifle.

To an extent I'm somewhat insensitive to recoil, but I do recognize it.   My options don't include a muzzle brake, but this might be something you could consider.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top