Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/20/2009 8:15:56 AM EDT
For anyone that has used these bullets before.

What powder/charge did you use?

And did you have any problems with these bullets not maintaining a consistent COAL very well.

Loading these rounds i'm having trouble with the COAL going from 2.248" all the way to 2.260".

Never had this problem with any other bullet. That variance seems extreme to me. Yes, I know these are JUNK bullets and i should not expect too much from them, but dang thats alot.

Using:
Win brass
trimmed to 1.750"
24.0gr of BL-C (2)
62gr Armscor FMJ
My setting i was shooting for COAL was 2.255"

I was using the loading data out of the Speer manual for their 62gr FMJ bullet. The email from Armscor said it would be safe to use that data.

Link Posted: 6/20/2009 9:09:12 AM EDT
[#1]
I had the same issue w/COAL.   They weren't very consistent.

I'm using:

LC Brass
CCI #41
25.0gr of BLC-2
LFCD
Seated to the cannelure

If I remember correctly, my best group was around 1 1/2" @ 50yrds.  Nothing rave about, by any means.

ETA:  I bought these when they were $60/1000.  I only loaded them so that when I take friends out to the range, I can afford to let them shoot something besides a .22LR.
Link Posted: 6/20/2009 9:47:45 AM EDT
[#2]
I have these as well, I use 23.5gr Benchmark, 1.75 LC brass, and CCI #41 primer and seat them on the cannelure, the barrel I shoot them through is 1/7 twist, but as long as I have them on the cannelure and crimp them I have no issues with them, one thing to remember, these are not match grade bullets.
Link Posted: 6/20/2009 10:09:31 AM EDT
[#3]
For sure these aren't match bullets. i use them for only paper punching. i started seating them on the cann. as well.

Wish i could get my hands on some of the Hornady 55gr fmjbt bullets. Those seem to be much better. not match grade but better then these junk armscor ones.

On a side note.

I've heard that the armscor brass is pretty junky too. I can get some real cheap here local. (cheaper then once fired brass). What issues are there with their brass?
Link Posted: 6/20/2009 11:09:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Well concidering that ARMSCOR components are made in the Philippines, one has to wonder, my other source of 62gr FMJBTSC is from Wideners, now those have a nice point on them, more so than LC M855, but when in doubt, try a hasty sling and make it tight, then get you a 3 round grouping with open sights, that will tell you if the bullets are junk.
Link Posted: 6/20/2009 5:43:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

And did you have any problems with these bullets not maintaining a consistent COAL very well.

Loading these rounds i'm having trouble with the COAL going from 2.248" all the way to 2.260".

Never had this problem with any other bullet. That variance seems extreme to me. Yes, I know these are JUNK bullets and i should not expect too much from them, but dang thats alot.

Using:
Win brass
trimmed to 1.750"
24.0gr of BL-C (2)
62gr Armscor FMJ

I was using the loading data out of the Speer manual for their 62gr FMJ bullet. The email from Armscor said it would be safe to use that data.

Search is your friend...:-)
62 gr Armscor

I have the same problem...but they seem to shoot well....

Just load them a tad shorter and have fun....

Link Posted: 6/20/2009 6:08:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Using:
Win brass
trimmed to 1.750"
24.0gr of BL-C (2)
62gr Armscor FMJ

62 gr Armscor

What OAL are you loading the 62's to and what primers are you using with that load?

I've got 500 of these I'm going to load for plinking since they were cheap and haven't got to experiment with them yet, I've been loading 60gr Nosler BT to 2.250 with 23.5gr of benchmark and CCI400 primers with good groups at 50 yards.

I have so many different bullets, powders, & primers I find it hard to stick with a single load and even harder to find the time to correctly work up loads for all of them.

So far I shoot 55gr FMJ with 25gr H335 loaded to 2.250 with #41 primers, 60gr BT's with 23.5 gr of Benchmark loaded to 2.250 with 400 primers(need to try this load with the 7 1/2 primers), and still have 77gr MK, 69gr MK, and these 62gr FMJ's to find good loads for in my 6920.

I also have Varget (6lbs) and Rem. 7 1/2 primers (2k) to work with, any help with known good loads with 16" 5.56 chambered 1/7 barrels for these components ( and I don't believe the what works in mine wont work in yours because we all shoot the same factory ammo with almost the same results, even high pressure Mil-spec 5.56 loads)

Oh and I use only LC Nato brass, mostly new 07, but have some OF 05 & 06 as well.
Link Posted: 6/20/2009 6:25:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Using:
Win brass
trimmed to 1.750"
24.0gr of BL-C (2)
62gr Armscor FMJ

62 gr Armscor

What OAL are you loading the 62's to and what primers are you using with that load?

I've got 500 of these I'm going to load for plinking since they were cheap and haven't got to experiment with them yet, I've been loading 60gr Nosler BT to 2.250 with 23.5gr of benchmark and CCI400 primers with good groups at 50 yards.

I have so many different bullets, powders, & primers I find it hard to stick with a single load and even harder to find the time to correctly work up loads for all of them.

So far I shoot 55gr FMJ with 25gr H335 loaded to 2.250 with #41 primers, 60gr BT's with 23.5 gr of Benchmark loaded to 2.250 with 400 primers(need to try this load with the 7 1/2 primers), and still have 77gr MK, 69gr MK, and these 62gr FMJ's to find good loads for in my 6920.

I also have Varget (6lbs) and Rem. 7 1/2 primers (2k) to work with, any help with known good loads with 16" 5.56 chambered 1/7 barrels for these components ( and I don't believe the what works in mine wont work in yours because we all shoot the same factory ammo with almost the same results, even high pressure Mil-spec 5.56 loads)

Oh and I use only LC Nato brass, mostly new 07, but have some OF 05 & 06 as well.

I loaded these kind of short...so they are 2.240 to 2.250 in length...

Mixed brass...these loads are on the 4th reload of this brass...all mixed LC brass and "whatever brass"...

I am using the Wolf SRM primers...

The brass was trimmed on the Giraurd on the second reload...and are not longer than 1.755....
Link Posted: 6/20/2009 6:33:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Using:
Win brass
trimmed to 1.750"
24.0gr of BL-C (2)
62gr Armscor FMJ

62 gr Armscor

http://i721.photobucket.com/albums/ww219/lares556/62s.jpg

I loaded these kind of short...so they are 2.240 to 2.250 in length...

Mixed brass...these loads are on the 4th reload of this brass...all mixed LC brass and "whatever brass"...

I am using the Wolf SRM primers...

The brass was trimmed on the Giraurd on the second reload...and are not longer than 1.755....

Did you find much difference in 25gr's and 25.1 gr's of H335 in your testing? I should probably use the #41 primers with this load as well you think?
Link Posted: 6/20/2009 6:42:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Great question...about the 25.1 of H335....

It was just a number that I decided on...:-)

On the fifth reload of this brass...I am now loading an even 25 grs of H335....much easier for my aging mind...the fps data through a 16'  barrel should be about the same...

If you have the 41s use them...the 400s may crater in this load....but try them (the 400s)...in my 16", CL, NATO chamber at 2785 fps,..the loads do not seem to be that hot...
Link Posted: 6/20/2009 6:50:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Loading these rounds I'm having trouble with the COAL going from 2.248" all the way to 2.260".

Never had this problem with any other bullet. That variance seems extreme to me. Yes, I know these are JUNK bullets and I should not expect too much from them, but dang that's alot.

Using:
Win brass
trimmed to 1.750"
24.0gr of BL-C (2)
62gr Armscor FMJ
My setting I was shooting for COAL was 2.255"

I have never loaded Armscor 62 gr FMJ, but I have loaded a lot of pulled SS-109's. 62 gr FMJBT's.

I  used the Speer 62 gr FMJ start load and worked up from there, so I can confirm that.

I worked up to
26.0 grs BLC2
LC brass trimmed to 1.750
Win SR or Wolf SRM primers
Bullets seated to mid cannelure and crimped.

Off the bench, 3x9 scope, 100 yds getting 2 1/2 to 3" 10 shot groups.

Same AR, the 55 gr FMJBT Armscor were giving 6" 10 shot groups. These are blasting bullets for sure.

I was buying these a year ago at the fun show for $55 per k. Back when primers were $20 per k.[://

Link Posted: 6/20/2009 6:56:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Loading these rounds I'm having trouble with the COAL going from 2.248" all the way to 2.260".

Never had this problem with any other bullet. That variance seems extreme to me. Yes, I know these are JUNK bullets and I should not expect too much from them, but dang that's alot.

Using:
Win brass
trimmed to 1.750"
24.0gr of BL-C (2)
62gr Armscor FMJ

I have never loaded Armscor 62 gr FMJ, but I have loaded a lot of pulled SS-109's. 62 gr FMJBT's.

I  used the Speer 62 gr FMJ start load and worked up from there, so I can confirm that.

I worked up to
26.0 grs BLC2

Same AR, the 55 gr FMJBT Armscor were giving 6" 10 shot groups. These are blasting bullets for sure.

I was buying these a year ago at the fun show for $55 per k. Back when primers were $20 per k.[://

Wow!...6" groups for the 55s?...the 62gr non steel insert Prvi was at least doing 3.5 inches...the Armscor 62 grs were doing under that....I just may need to recheck tomorrow....

Link Posted: 6/20/2009 7:29:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Using:
Win brass
trimmed to 1.750"
24.0gr of BL-C (2)
62gr Armscor FMJ

I worked up to
26.0 grs BLC2

Wow!...6" groups for the 55s?...the 62gr non steel insert Prvi was at least doing 3.5 inches...the Armscor 62 grs were doing under that....I just may need to recheck tomorrow....

My rifle didn't like the Armscor 55 gr FMJBT's.

Very possible they will shoot ok in another rifle.
Link Posted: 6/25/2009 6:30:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

SNIP!

My rifle didn't like the Armscor 55 gr FMJBT's.

Very possible they will shoot ok in another rifle.

Remember that bullet comparison thread where someone compared a couple of different FMJBT's and found the Winchesters to be sub-par? I have a set of Armscor 55's that make the Winchesters look top-notch. And yes, even from Winchesters, the groups opened up a fair bit. None of the Armscor bullets seem to have the same meplat, and I suspect the different machines they were making them on were pretty poorly calibrated.

It's understood that this is not a match bullet, but seeing these, and watching the "Locked up abroad" show where the Philippine military rescues some Americans from Abu Sayaf, I am not surprised some hostages got shot, and the group leader got away. Just sayin'.
Link Posted: 6/25/2009 8:42:30 AM EDT
[#14]
I'd say in the current climate that if these are all that are available for paper punching, then they will be adaquate for the job. Not ideal, but will serve the purpose of killing paper zombies.

Just don't expect too much from them.

Link Posted: 6/25/2009 2:37:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'd say in the current climate that if these are all that are available for paper punching, then they will be adaquate for the job. Not ideal, but will serve the purpose of killing paper zombies.

Just don't expect too much from them.

Agreed, as long as you have some sort of comparison. On some loadings mine opened to the point that I thought my zero was off in a bad way. But yes, the rifle and everything else also has something to do with that.
Link Posted: 6/26/2009 5:27:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Wish i could get my hands on some of the Hornady 55gr fmjbt bullets. Those seem to be much better. not match grade but better then these junk armscor ones.

Check the new EE, selling for $104.50/1000 shipped from westernsportsonline.  Not great but available.  RMR also has them for $114 shipped.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top