Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2009 12:14:42 PM EDT
Hope I dont sound like too much of a dummy here.

What reason would cause a squib?

I had one today and am loading on a RCBS single stage. I dont think I missed a powder charge.

Will a primer not seated all the way cause a squib?

I was loading 230 grain .45 acp using mixed headstamps with 5 grains of Bullseye.

primers are Winchester Large Pistol Magnum.

The primer seater I have been using from RCBS seems to leave it out a bit unless I really clamp down on it.

Thanks for any advice....
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:20:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Did the 5 grains you put in fill the case at least 1/2 full? If not you can get a squib if all the powder is in the front of the round. This can also be dangerous as it can cause a pressure spike and detonation.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:41:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Hard to think that a fast powder like Bullseye wouldn't light off as long as it got some flame from the primer.  Could something have blocked the hole?

Last (and only) squib I had was in .38 special when I used Standard Primers with Blue Dot.  (bullet stuck just into the forcing cone)
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:56:10 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Hard to think that a fast powder like Bullseye wouldn't light off as long as it got some flame from the primer.  Could something have blocked the hole?

Last (and only) squib I had was in .38 special when I used Standard Primers with Blue Dot.  (bullet stuck just into the forcing cone)

Makes me wonder if he used corn cob media? Those damn things love to plug up the flash hole.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:14:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Most likely some media in the flash hole.

Out of thousands of rounds I've had one squib slip through my QC due the primer being inserted backwards.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:45:26 PM EDT
[#5]
The only reason I have ever had a squib was missing the powder charge.  Recently I set my Dillon 650 back up to reload .38 special.  While checking and weighing powder charges I had one round slip through and I suspeced it.  I isolated the rounds and took them to the range.  It was there.  In a revolver the bullet will go into the forcing cone an d jam the gun.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:52:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:12:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys. I think I need tto clean the primer pockets.

I dont think its media as I am tumbling the cases prior to decapping and resizing.

The case that didnt eject was really dirty.

It is an odd sensation having a click and no boom...

If necessary I'll send the priming tool back to RCBS.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:22:17 PM EDT
[#8]
A high primer won't cause a squib, it either won't fire at all, or will fire all the way.
Squib loads CAN be caused by contaminated powder, water, oil, or no powder.
A contaminated primer would cause a hang fire.
Best guess,, missed the powder charge.
Did you happen to see lots unburned powder in the case/chamber?
'Borg
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:40:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
A high primer won't cause a squib, it either won't fire at all, or will fire all the way.
Squib loads CAN be caused by contaminated powder, water, oil, or no powder.
A contaminated primer would cause a hang fire.
Best guess,, missed the powder charge.
Did you happen to see lots unburned powder in the case/chamber?
'Borg

I am not sure.

It was NASTY in there thats for sure. The ass end of the bullet had sort of this hard cake on there that felt a little like soft sandpaper. Inside of the casing was really dirty as well.

More than normal.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:50:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Wet or no powder.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:57:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Makes me wonder if he used corn cob media? Those damn things love to plug up the flash hole.

Primers are powerful enough to throw a plastic bullet at something like 300fps-that little bit of corn cob media has no chance of stopping that much power.  It would probably vaporize instead.  For consistency, a bit of media in the flash hole should be avoided, but there's no way for it to STOP a primer from setting off the powder.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top