Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2008 8:52:46 AM EDT
Second noob question of the last 24 hours. I have a bunch of ball .308 left over from when I shot a friends M1a. It's Portuguese according to the headstamp. I was wondering if it was an acceptable practice to pull the bullets, dump the powder, then work up new loads using the stock primer and new powder? I am going to keep some to break the barrel in, but the rest will be used to work up a good hand load.

If I didn't break my decapping pin on my .308 die I wouldn't have to worry about this. My replacement won't be here by Saturday, so I figured I'd try this.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 8:55:46 AM EDT
[#1]
That is always an option.  I have done it before with some ammo that was really inaccurate.  Just changing to a better powder and charge made a several MOA improvment.  
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 8:55:46 AM EDT
[#2]
There was another guy who asked the same question a short while back........

I assume you know the story/theory behind the "Mexican Match," so, let's get to it.

Example:

Buy all of the Port 7.62 (or whatever brand) from one lot number.

Do a test sampling (say, 10 rounds)......pull each bullet and weigh the powder......write it down, for each cartridge. Save the powder and bullets.

So, assuming that it's all from the same lot number.....there should be little variation. Correct? Now, get the average......write it down.

Re-size the cases (or neck size) without de-capping the primers. Use a case gauge to check that everything is OK to go.

Next, buy acceptable commercial bullets of the same weight.

Seat your new bullets over the *re-measured/re-used powder. *Due to the FACT that not all bullets are the same.  For safety, you should reduce the powder weight of the re-used powder and work your way up. Or, you could use a different powder IF you wish.  Just follow the standard safety rules of re-loading.

Go shoot some.

Everything look O.K.

Then, proceed with mass production.

HTH.

Aloha, Mark

PS.........course, there are variations to the theme.

Link Posted: 10/16/2008 9:26:55 AM EDT
[#3]
I have heard of the Mexican Match practice, so I figured this wouldn't be a big issue. I tried one a few minutes ago on my lunch break and the neck held the bullet well without any neck resizing, and chambered fine. I am thinking of putting a tiny crimp on just to make sure, but if the bullet holds ok without it, I might just leave that step out.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 9:29:03 AM EDT
[#4]
The problem I see with this practice is that, IMHO, the limiting factor to accuracy in bulk ammo is often not the powder, it is the quality of the projectile itself.

- AG
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 9:47:33 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The problem I see with this practice is that, IMHO, the limiting factor to accuracy in bulk ammo is often not the powder, it is the quality of the projectile itself.

- AG

I  agree. That's why I'm replacing the projectiles with 168 gr Noslers.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 1:55:51 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

- AG

I  agree. That's why I'm replacing the projectiles with 168 gr Noslers.

There are cheaper ways to get .308 brass .

Port is good surplus ammo, and as such has good re-sale value.  You could probably sell it on the EE and buy enough components to make as many rounds or more...

- AG
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top