Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2019 10:27:34 PM EDT
Was in my LGS today and they have just as many knives as guns. Saw a new brand they started carrying and it really caught my eye. Took a closer look and they had about 30 different automatic and spring assisted blades. Super sharp (pun intended) looking pieces and handled the TR-5 model.

I’m not a huge knife guy (I carry ZT) but I have never heard of ProTech. Can someone give me the rundown? They aren’t cheap but seem to be of superior quality and workmanship.

UPDATE
Just got my PT T501 Tactical Response. Love this thing. The handle is smooth but it’s got a rough grippy texture actually. Almost feels like a Larue mount if you’ve ever handled one. And man does this thing fire. Safety is incredibly sharp and has an extremely tactile switch.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 10:32:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I really like mine.  From mine and what I've read, about the best for autos and they stand behind them.  Check out the shot show video to hear from the owner.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 10:40:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Pro-Tech is well established and definitely GTG. Their autos are very good and very strong.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 10:49:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Protech is a solid, well established brand.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 10:52:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I’m going to FO. Now just to decide on full auto or full semi auto

Really like the looks of the TR-5. But the spring assisted are more expensive than automatic.
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 12:56:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I’m going to FO. Now just to decide on full auto or full semi auto

Really like the looks of the TR-5. But the spring assisted are more expensive than automatic.
View Quote
ProTech is excellent.  Some of the best fit and finish designs on the market and excellent customer services (very quick to respond to any questions).  I have about a half dozen, if you can go auto, no need to hesitate.  My absolute favorite model is the Magic 2 "whiskers".

ROCK6
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 9:17:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Protech has been around for years and is well known in the auto knife world. They make good knives.
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 1:27:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Auto knives are now legal in my state, I’ve just always used and preferred a spring assist.

Do the PT auto options have a safety I guess? Any other thoughts on auto vs SA?
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 9:11:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Auto knives are now legal in my state, I’ve just always used and preferred a spring assist.

View Quote
Some of their knives have a safety.

Protech makes some cool stuff. I have a discontinued Protech Ciabatta that is a really interesting knife. Watching someone deploy it you'd think it was an auto but it's technically an assisted knife since pressure on the blade is the release mechanism.

Pro-Tech Ciabatta Spring Assisted Switchblade
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 9:14:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Very reputable and established brand, if not as well known outside of knife circles.
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 9:48:35 AM EDT
[#10]
I really liked mine, to bad it disappeared when I had it boxed up for a short time and cannot be found as I looked everywhere for it.  I will replace that TR-3 one of these days.
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 10:45:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Well looks like if I do go ProTech it will be the T501 auto, which is  S35VN. All their spring assisted is 154CM. Which I know is a good steel, but I’ve carried and sharpened S35VN for the past 6 years and used to it.

Lots of ProTech vendors are OOS.
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 10:57:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Love my TR-3 and Newport both.  Very nice and excellent build quality as everyone else has been saying.  Will continue to build my ProTech collection in the future

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 11:02:46 AM EDT
[#13]
The best deal on the market in a side folding automatic is a Meyerco 18 XRay @ $100 or there abouts.

They come and go, and seem like there is no regular production.

Made in USA, 3.8" 154CM, black DLC blade in spear or tanto, integrated lock and firing mechanism in one button, 6160 scales.

The only ones I know of for sale right now are at Botach, $99 for black, $120 for green scales. I have a green on the way from them. I have 2 of the black spear point one is my every day knife, and has been fired thousands of times. Lock up is rock solid, and I can't say enough about the integrated lock/trigger.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 8:50:01 PM EDT
[#14]
I had a godson for a while and loved it. fired every time, thin, held an edge, easy to deploy. Only reason I got rid of it was to get into an OTF that had a glass breaker. Ended up with a Combat Troodon. it's a monster. I sometimes miss it and wouldn't mind another.
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 6:27:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Update in OP
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 6:38:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
What changed?

Edit: Louisiana HB 892 repealed the total ban on switchblade knives in Louisiana
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top