Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 11/16/2018 11:33:39 AM EDT
I just picked up a M7 to go with my ONG folder. I don’t have any experince with bayonets. Will these take and hold a good edge? Or is it a waste of time to sharpen them?
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 12:05:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Bayonets aren’t meant to have an edge that can slice paper.

It’s a stabbing weapon. Bayonets aren’t really knives.

You’d have to reprofile it and it probably won’t hold a good edge.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 12:45:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 8:30:30 PM EDT
[#3]
A bayonet of the M4 through m7 series will take an edge but won't make a really good cutting tool like a dedicated hunting knife.

Since these bayonets were developed out of the WWII M3 combat knife, the blades are the same.
You can definitely sharpen a bayonet just like the M3 could be sharpened, but it was intended to be a rough duty combat knife not a razor sharp cutting implement.

The M4 through M7 bayonets were intended to be both a bayonet and a combat knife, so as a combat knife the edge sharpening and holding abilities are acceptable.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 1:21:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I use a Gritomatic Hapstone sharpener. I have successfully sharpened 3 M7 and 3 M9 bayonets to hair popping sharp edges.
I realize they are bayonets but they are also knives. As a field knife they are far more likely to see use than they ever will be as a bayonet.
I am fixing to start a new M9 build that will be a full tang made out of O1 tool steel.
It will feature a very nice hollow grind with an amazing edge. If the day ever comes where I need to affix bayonets, I am sure it will long outlast me!
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top