Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 1/19/2018 1:14:31 AM EDT
I don't have expensive knives but want to learn how to sharpen before I purchase one.

What do you guys suggest?

I have been looking at Japanese whetstones, also some other things.  Can't justify a tormak t-4 yet.
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 2:36:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Amazon.com
"The Razor Edge Book of Sharpening."
Cover shows the author wet-shaving with a double-bitted logging axe.
I figure that old timer knows what he's doing.
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 2:46:00 AM EDT
[#2]
I've used both the wicked edge system and the ken onion work sharp.  Ken onion is great for the price point. I can't do it manually to save my life, so I rely on guides and machines.

Amazon Product
  • An adjustable sharpening guide to produce precise edge bevels from 15° to 30°
  • Premium flexible abrasive belts to deliver a strong, long lasting razor-sharp edge
  • A variable speed motor to handle every sharpening task, from grinding to honing

Link Posted: 1/19/2018 5:48:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've used both the wicked edge system and the ken onion work sharp.  Ken onion is great for the price point. I can't do it manually to save my life, so I rely on guides and machines.

www.amazon.com/dp/B00EJ9CQKA
View Quote
I have this.  It works fantastically.  If you can get it for this price then jump on it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 7:14:51 AM EDT
[#4]
A medium stone a good leather strop and a little practice.
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 11:24:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

www.amazon.com/dp/B00EJ9CQKA
View Quote
Where did you find that price?
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 1:13:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Lansky Deluxe set.  Easy enough to learn the basics on and at ~$45, it won't break the bank.

Also good for re-profiling damaged edges.

Chris
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 1:26:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Don't go electric... Removes to much steel.
Very easy to bugger up a edge if your not paying attention.

Lansky is for full reprofile of edge.
It's a pain for regular edge maintenance...
I have one. And only use it for reprofiling.

The Spyderco SharpMaker is Dead stupid simple.
Perfect for edge maintenance.
I have the original version that is 25yrs old and gets regular use and still with the original stones.

Spyderco Sharpmaker -- Is it really that easy?

If you want to learn Free Hand.
Buy cheap Walmart/swap meet knives to practice on.
And a set of generic stones.
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 5:03:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
no idea - that was the Amazon link and the ASIN. Normal price is 130
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 10:37:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you guys qualify for an Expertcity account, you can get a very good price on this.  About half the normal Amazon price.
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 8:38:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Just got the KME system.  It is very easy to use, cheaper than edge pro or wicked edge and produces just as good results.  Plus, there are tons of additional accessories including japanese water stones, synthetic stones or even belgium coticles.  Its made in the USA too.
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 9:22:01 PM EDT
[#12]
If you are budget minded a wicked edge is out of the question and so is the Name brand Edge pro.

Here's an Edge pro knockoff for $40.  I'd recommend getting that and then get some diamond stones from edge pro for it.

Edge pro knockoff

I have the actual Edge pro, but I think this knockoff would be just as good or at least worth a try to see if you like it.  It takes a minute to get the process down and figure out your angles.  But once you do, razor sharp knives are easy to make.
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 5:37:38 AM EDT
[#13]
I've owned various sharpeners. I gave up on them all once I learned how to sharpen properly with a $5 set of stones that can fit in my pocket.

I gave up on trying to master mirror stroping, but I can have just about any dull knife shaving my arm clean in just a few minutes.
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 6:48:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Just got the KME system.  It is very easy to use, cheaper than edge pro or wicked edge and produces just as good results.  Plus, there are tons of additional accessories including japanese water stones, synthetic stones or even belgium coticles.  Its made in the USA too.
View Quote
I'm considering one of those at the moment. Seems to get good reviews.
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 7:35:18 PM EDT
[#15]

Did this the first weekend with KME system.  Finished on the 5000 and 10000 chosera stone then stropped with 4 micron solution.
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 7:43:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
http://i65.tinypic.com/2u4on5v.jpg

Did this the first weekend with KME system.  Finished on the 5000 and 10000 chosera stone then stropped with 4 micron solution.
View Quote
Nice. I have a couple of recurve blades and I'm wondering how easy it is to get the mirror polished edge on those? I noticed the jewelers tool thing for doing recurves but that only goes to 1800. It may be up to custom setups or trying to just use the edge of the items to get a good polish on the recurves.
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 9:08:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Nice. I have a couple of recurve blades and I'm wondering how easy it is to get the mirror polished edge on those? I noticed the jewelers tool thing for doing recurves but that only goes to 1800. It may be up to custom setups or trying to just use the edge of the items to get a good polish on the recurves.
View Quote
Although the sell blanks I haven't bought any yet, but I have attached auto sandpaper to the backside of the stones while in the stone holder.  After finishing with the 1500 diamond I did 1000 and 2000 grit sandpaper. Mind you I was just messing around with this, but I was able to get a mirror edge.  Im guessing you could do the same with the jewelstik hone. Just pull the paper tight and tape it in place.  Otherwise, use a sharpie and keep checking where the stones are hitting and missing.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top