Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2012 2:49:08 PM EDT
I've got several of their folders, safe keepers and such, but none of their fixed blades. Are they really top notch or all hype? Asi go through the forums I never hear people talk about them much.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 4:23:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I have an SRK I like a lot. Also a minipal on my key chain.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 5:33:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I have their Spike in scimitar. Needed to be sharpened up a bit.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 5:37:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I have an SRK that I've owned for over 10 years.  It made it through 2 tours in Iraq. I take it on hunting trips with me now. It feels good in my hand and holds it edge well.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 6:46:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I really like the old school Carbon V steel fixed blades. I think I have around 2 or 3 of each, I picked them up cheap when they first stopped making them. The ebayers go crazy over them when I list one from time to time. I don't know how the newer steel they use holds up.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:28:35 AM EDT
[#5]
I own two Carbon V SRKs.  Love them.  My brother owns a Master Hunter he has used for skinning for several years.  Also a good blade.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:35:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Drop the coin on a RS, you won't regret it.

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:40:34 AM EDT
[#7]
My Master Hunter has been a good knife for 20 years.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 9:40:15 PM EDT
[#8]
I got the Natchez Bowie I love it ! It has killed more south Georgia hogs than my Ar15 has...
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 11:17:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Where are most of the Cold Steel knives made?   Are they all or mostly US made?

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:02:37 AM EDT
[#10]
most if not all the folders are made in Taiwan I know the Recon 1 is I would assume most of the fixed blades are as well
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:20:42 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Where are most of the Cold Steel knives made?   Are they all or mostly US made?

No.

Older Carbon V = Camillus factory USA.

Newer SK5= I don't know they make it seem like Japan but I think it's Taiwan or China.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:40:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Most of the higher end blades come out of Japan...
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:03:32 PM EDT
[#13]
I have never been impressed by anything I have held in my hand made by Cold Steel...  It's true that I have NOT held a lot of their creations though...  Every time I come across one of their knives, I always find myself saying "this could have been a good knife if it wasn't for a few corner cutting features".  They seem to frequently cheap out on little (and sometimes not so little) features in their knives... and frequently over price / over hype their mediocre products...  and their videos make me want to puke...

...but then again, it could just be me...
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:29:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have never been impressed by anything I have held in my hand made by Cold Steel...  It's true that I have NOT held a lot of their creations though...  Every time I come across one of their knives, I always find myself saying "this could have been a good knife if it wasn't for a few corner cutting features".  They seem to frequently cheap out on little (and sometimes not so little) features in their knives... and frequently over price / over hype their mediocre products...  and their videos make me want to puke...

Exactly. My first thought was "when was Cold Steel ever top notch?"

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:35:09 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Now?

I've got about 60+ days remote camping/hiking on one of their blades. Doing anything from batoning to fashioning a spear, it doesn't even have a nick in it.

I don't care about their reputation/owner/etc. The CS knives I have are top notch.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:09:36 AM EDT
[#16]
I have a Cold Steel tomahawk on the way.  By all accounts they're good to go.  They arrive with a sticker on them saying American Tomahawk Co.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:51:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Now?

I've got about 60+ days remote camping/hiking on one of their blades. Doing anything from batoning to fashioning a spear, it doesn't even have a nick in it.

I don't care about their reputation/owner/etc. The CS knives I have are top notch.

To be considered top notch, a maker would have to do things like chamfer tang holes. An unchamfered tang hole is a stress riser and as can be seen in this photo of an SRK that was sent to me to work on and the handful of others that have been sent to me, a stress riser leads to cracks. Luckily this was just the thong hole, if it had been one of the front grip holes in the tang it would have been worse.

If a knife maker can't be bothered to do something small like this, then no, they are in fact not Top Notch.

ETA- Oh and I won't even go into how fucking shitty and unfinished it was under the grip and yes the rust colored stuff on the tang is rust under the rubber handle.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:04:32 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Now?

To be considered top notch, a maker would have to do things like chamfer tang holes. An unchamfered tang hole is a stress riser and as can be seen in this photo of an SRK that was sent to me to work on and the handful of others that have been sent to me, a stress riser leads to cracks. Luckily this was just the thong hole, if it had been one of the front grip holes in the tang it would have been worse.

If a knife maker can't be bothered to do something small like this, then no, they are in fact not Top Notch.

ETA- Oh and I won't even go into how fucking shitty and unfinished it was under the grip and yes the rust colored stuff on the tang is rust under the rubber handle.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j67/Timberwolf_71/f1cafdad.jpg

Hmm, ok, fair enough.

I'm just going off of my own hard use. I've broken a lot of knives, but never a CS one.

I guess I'll just stick with what works best from experience.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:08:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Now?

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j67/Timberwolf_71/f1cafdad.jpg

Hmm, ok, fair enough.

I'm just going off of my own hard use. I've broken a lot of knives, but never a CS one.

I guess I'll just stick with what works best from experience.

And I have no problem with that. Millions of the things have been sold and 999,000's of the things have no problems or at least have no easily seen problems. But chamfering holes is Knife Making 101, no not even that it's a 99 level class, and they are failing that. What kills me, is this was a thong hole. There is very little stress put on the end of the tang yet it cracked. And I've seen 4 or 5 that have done the same thing.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:10:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Older ones are OK. Newer ones have crap soft steel that rolls the edge everytime.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:27:29 AM EDT
[#21]
I like my Carbon V SRK and Master Hunter, and I like the little Roach Belly and Canadian belt knives.

I wouldn't spend very much on any of their new stuff.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 1:50:48 PM EDT
[#22]
I have many of there blades in my collection and they have always preformed.  I own hundreds of blades from all over the world and bought one of the Recon Scouts the first year it came out. It became my main carry blade in the Army. Even after I retired and did contracting work. I have done things with that blade that broke many other blades. There are good to go in my book. Just my .02 after using them in the real world for the past 20 + years.

RLTW
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 1:58:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I have many of there blades in my collection and they have always preformed.  I own hundreds of blades from all over the world and bought one of the Recon Scouts the first year it came out. It became my main carry blade in the Army. Even after I retired and did contracting work. I have done things with that blade that broke many other blades. There are good to go in my book. Just my .02 after using them in the real world for the past 20 + years.

RLTW

Apparently the Cold Steel of today is a mere shadow of what it was years ago, having taken the cheap, mass produced road.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:51:44 AM EDT
[#24]
I broke the tip off of a Voyager (clip point), and the pocket clip off of another.  I've also noticed that the small serrated sections have a tendency to have the tips break off. I give them full credit for being sharp as all hell out of the box, but I just can't bring myself to trust the quality enough to buy anything bigger than pocket knives.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 7:00:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I've got several of their folders, safe keepers and such, but none of their fixed blades. Are they really top notch or all hype? Asi go through the forums I never hear people talk about them much.

They are nowhere near top notch.  They are middle of the pack blades and finishes, with a cool name now.  Most of their blades are Taiwan and Chinese it appears....

Anyway, you can probably MAKE YOUR OWN for the same or less money and have far superior quality....
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top