Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2008 8:30:20 PM EDT
Ok...I already took the plunge but I guess I'm just looking for some reaffirmation on spending that much money on a 16" hunk of fucking steel.

I should see it this week and I can't wait...but I've never read much on arfcom about them. Lots of bladeforums...but a lot of those guys are afraid of guns so their opinion doesn't mean much.

bought a Combat Grade Fusion Battle Mistress btw
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 3:54:12 AM EDT
[#1]
While the INFI steel is impressively sharp, it don't stay that way for long IMO. I have  several CGFBMs myself and have used several GWs to clean turkey and deer over the last few years and although they are easily sharpened back to the factory edge or better they are not all that great at "holding" that edge. Then there appears to be coating flaws at times which get by Busse QC.

Here's my first CGFBM which made a little 9 mile hike in the mountains of N. Mex. and marked trail for me, which showed a few coating flaws IMO

To tell ya the truth this late 70s purchased Gerber Guardian II is sharper, has better steel (L6 tooled steel) which "holds" an edge and even has better coating today than the BUsse above after having been carried and well used for more than 5 years - in the field w/ me as a pipeline surveyor party chief:

I have a fairly expensive and extensive Busse knife collection, but I use very few of them on a daily basis as like most Busse owners they are investments to me and are best "not-used"; as you can see why.

mike

eta - the "user CGFBM" above looks even worse today for it seems everytime I use it more of the coating flakes off

NOTE: Busse has offered to fix or repair the coating on the CGFBM above but as I have used this CGFBM and continue to use it - I don't care what it looks like, but seceretly wonder just how many of the Busse knives out there have a coating as flakey and flawed as what this "user" has shown to have....

BTW - no sense ratting me out to the Bladeforum Busse guys, as they have already seen these pics in a old thread I posted there last year w/ regard to Busse coating, everyone there claims Busse has no coating issues.......
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 4:00:25 AM EDT
[#2]
So they're really expensive safe queens? Not my idea of a knife.

I can get the point of investment, but I can't see how their value will increase since they have no special history or accomplished any feats of engineering that I am aware of.

Based on that, I can't bring myself to get one.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 5:13:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Wow that is some seriously bad coating, Hopefully I didn't get one of the lemon ones because I plan to use it.

Oh well, if I'm not impressed at most I stand to lose 50$ or so from using it, even beat to shit ones seem to sell fast in the 350$ range.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 5:31:51 AM EDT
[#4]
i don't honestly understand why anyone would buy a big honking super expensive knife and abuse it like that.  Take along a small knife, a Gerber machete and an a cold steel shovel and any work you have to do in the field will be greatly eased.  Sure you can replace all those tools with a single big knife but damn it’s hard work to dull your own good edge digging in rocky ground or chopping only to have to sharpen it again and again.

But then I go thru a lot of knives.  Most I loose and some I wear out.  I can’t afford to lose expensive knives so I buy cheap ones.  This is going to get me kicked out of the blade forum but… sanisafe makes some knives for $30.00 that are just old fashioned butcher knives.  They make great survival knives.  Sure if you use them as a pry bar or a shovel they will flex.  You will break them if you abuse them.  But they way just an ounce or two.  With that much weight saving you can pack along a real tool like a shovel.  When you need a knife to cut meat a lightweight knife won’t wear you out like one that weighs a couple pounds.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 12:29:44 PM EDT
[#5]
They take abuse just fine. Coating is coating.

Busse Ash on top, a Dingo in the center by K9 Knives...and a Busse BATAC on bottom.

Link Posted: 10/13/2008 1:29:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Busse Ash on top, a Dingo in the center by K9 Knives...and a Busse BATAC on bottom.

i32.photobucket.com/albums/d23/johndal21/Weapons/100_2650.jpg

Have you beat on the K9 Dingo at all?  Impressions?
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 2:47:07 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i32.photobucket.com/albums/d23/johndal21/Weapons/100_2650.jpg

It's taken a bit more thrashing since that picture was taken and holds up well. The knife is about the same size as a BATAC but believe it or not, the blade is thicker. The knife overall is lighter due to metal removal under the handle. All in all I'd rate is as just as tough as a BATAC. Then handle is far superior in dimensions and ergonomics. I'll report back after its seen the wear and tear the BATAC currently has. Overall, a clean well built knife.

Link Posted: 10/13/2008 3:06:52 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's taken a bit more thrashing since that picture was taken and holds up well. The knife is about the same size as a BATAC but believe it or not, the blade is thicker. The knife overall is lighter due to metal removal under the handle. All in all I'd rate is as just as tough as a BATAC. Then handle is far superior in dimensions and ergonomics. I'll report back after its seen the wear and tear the BATAC currently has. Overall, a clean well built knife.

i32.photobucket.com/albums/d23/johndal21/Weapons/100_2657.jpg

i32.photobucket.com/albums/d23/johndal21/Weapons/100_2118.jpg

Thanks for the comments.  The blade does look seriously tank-like.  Does the thickness/weight interfere with the ergonomics/handling in your opinion?  What do you think about the CPM 3V steel edge retention?
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 3:09:11 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for the comments.  The blade does look seriously tank-like.  Does the thickness/weight interfere with the ergonomics/handling in your opinion?  What do you think about the CPM 3V steel edge retention?

No issue from a ergonomic standpoint. Both in hand and usability is excellent. Balance superb. I actually love 3V steel, durable and a great steel IMO.

CPM 3VBlade Steels
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 3:20:44 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No issue from a ergonomic standpoint. Both in hand and usability is excellent. Balance superb. I actually love 3V steel, durable and a great steel IMO.

CPM 3VBlade Steels

Thanks.  I just got on a list for one.
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 9:13:16 PM EDT
[#11]
How tuff? watch the hour long destruction test on this knife.

knifetests.com/BussefFFBMtestpage.html
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top