Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2006 8:42:22 AM EDT
SOG Knives

Curious if anybody has one or knows anything about them.

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:28:59 AM EDT
[#1]
That actual shop or the SOG brand? That web shop that you linked to does'nt seem to have much in stock and their prices are'nt that great. SOG makes some pretty decent blades, but there are better to be had for the money. Here is the actual website:

www.sogknives.com/

Here is a link to some SOG products on Knifeworks, which is a great place to order.

www.knifeworks.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=544

Which blade by SOG specifically were you looking at? They have some pretty good blade designs but the steels that they use are'nt that great.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 1:36:46 PM EDT
[#2]
i bought a SOG night vision  knife.  from agrussell.com  a couple years ago.  no complaints at all here
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:33:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Was looking at the TF-3

Good Price?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:12:34 PM EDT
[#4]
www.shopsog.com/SOG-Government-Agent-S21.htm

I used to run around with a boy that had the Goverment model. I always liked it, and he used the snot out of it.

IIRC, you can find a better price than 101, however.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:03:50 PM EDT
[#5]
This was my response from another thread where the poster was looking for a good folder.

"Personally, I love SOG. I don't like any knife with a liner lock, but that's just my preference. I have a Flash 2 TiNi Tanto, a Flash 2 Tini spear point, and a Trident Tigerstripe. I carry one of these folders everyday, and they serve me well. I also have a Seal Knife 2000. My next two are going to be the Trident desert camo, and the Seal Pup Elite tigerstripe. Did I mention I like SOG?"

I have the Trident you are looking at. I carry it more than any other knife I own. I am a security contractor, and I put my knives through alot....I have never had a SOG fail me. Do a search online for "SOG Trident", you will find a better price. I paid about $60 for mine.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:16:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I love the shit out of my seal pup. Awesome little knife.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:35:01 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Which blade by SOG specifically were you looking at? They have some pretty good blade designs but the steels that they use are'nt that great.

What makes you think they use inferior steel? Almost all SOG knives are made of AUS-8, which is pretty comparable to ATS-34. AUS-8 is a better overall steel than the 440c that most knifemakers use. Benchmade, CRKT, and Al Mar are among the other manufacturers using AUS-8 in their products.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:36:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Keep in mind at the SOG website they have factory seconds. Most are cosmetic blemishes, so if you don't mind a small scratch or two, you can save a couple bucks.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 10:44:31 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What makes you think they use inferior steel? Almost all SOG knives are made of AUS-8, which is pretty comparable to ATS-34. AUS-8 is a better overall steel than the 440c that most knifemakers use. Benchmade, CRKT, and Al Mar are among the other manufacturers using AUS-8 in their products.

Not a big fan of AUS-8. I would prefer 154cm or 440c. SOG also uses AUS-6 in most of their fixed blades, such as the SEAL 2000. They do a good heat treat, but the price is just a little too high for what you are getting. You could buy 2 Beckers for the price of one SEAL knife and the Beckers are the tougher blade. Like I said, I like their blade designs. Could you imagine the SEAL pup in VG10? That would be awesome!

Here's the folder you were looking at for $67 bucks:

www.knifeworks.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=5454
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:11:24 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not a big fan of AUS-8. I would prefer 154cm or 440c. SOG also uses AUS-6 in most of their fixed blades, such as the SEAL 2000. They do a good heat treat, but the price is just a little too high for what you are getting. You could buy 2 Beckers for the price of one SEAL knife and the Beckers are the tougher blade. Like I said, I like their blade designs. Could you imagine the SEAL pup in VG10? That would be awesome!

I've never broke, bent, chipped or otherwise damaged any of my AUS-8 blades. Maybe I've just had better luck with them. In my experience, they have performed as well as any of my knives, whether they're made of 154CM (Microtech), or ATS-34 (Gerber). I guess I have to work them a little harder from now on.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:20:01 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've never broke, bent, chipped or otherwise damaged any of my AUS-8 blades. Maybe I've just had better luck with them. In my experience, they have performed as well as any of my knives, whether they're made of 154CM (Microtech), or ATS-34 (Gerber). I guess I have to work them a little harder from now on.

Never broke an AUS-8 blade either, but the edgeholding on AUS-8 has been lackluster in my experience. Not a bad stainless by any means, but mediocre compared to my favorites, VG-10 and CPM S30V. If Spyderco can make a folder with either VG10 or CPM S30V and sell it for $40 bucks, why can't SOG do the same? I would also like to see some carbon or tool steels in their lineup, like on the new Daggert models or the Government model. Those are awesome designs, and with a good tough carbon steel, like 5160 or 0170-6C, or a tool steel like D2 or M2, I would pick one up in a second and even pay a little extra.

Here's another link to the knife you were looking at on Grand Prairie Knives, they have great service as well and it is about a $1 cheaper there:

www.gpknives.com/item/SOG-Trident-Tigerstripe.html

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:29:51 AM EDT
[#12]
I recived a SOG Tigershark about a year ago from my father. I like big knives and I really like the tigershark. The design is great and it was razor sharp. I have used it a heck of alot but i havent, but i havent done any really heavy, abusive work yet. I just had it sharpend last month. The only damage is just a bit of finish is worn. But thats hardly worth mentioning. I was actually planing on doing a good bit od work with it later today. If I have some  time Ill get some pics on here tonight.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:56:30 AM EDT
[#13]
I have carried an SOG Flash II knife for years and love it.  It's easy to sharpen, sturdy, and has a really cool assisted opening mechanism.  Also has a safety to keep it from inadvertantly opening.

SOG Power Pliers ain't really a knife (although they do have a knife blade on them!) but are one of the handiest tools I've ever had.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 12:41:39 PM EDT
[#14]
SOG makes a damn good knife. I have a Tsunami, a Flash, a Pentagon Elite II, and a Powerlock mulit tool. I have nothing but good things to say about all of them.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 6:37:35 AM EDT
[#15]
I have a SOG tigershark here at home that I first got when I was a little boy. I have abused the all holy hell out of it. Literally driven nails with it and smack other knives with it(again I was a little kid and very stupid), but it has held up considerably. it is still very functional and good to go.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 2:32:37 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Never broke an AUS-8 blade either, but the edgeholding on AUS-8 has been lackluster in my experience. Not a bad stainless by any means, but mediocre compared to my favorites, VG-10 and CPM S30V. If Spyderco can make a folder with either VG10 or CPM S30V and sell it for $40 bucks, why can't SOG do the same? I would also like to see some carbon or tool steels in their lineup, like on the new Daggert models or the Government model. Those are awesome designs, and with a good tough carbon steel, like 5160 or 0170-6C, or a tool steel like D2 or M2, I would pick one up in a second and even pay a little extra.

Here's another link to the knife you were looking at on Grand Prairie Knives, they have great service as well and it is about a $1 cheaper there:

www.gpknives.com/item/SOG-Trident-Tigerstripe.html

Your right, the edgeholding could be better, but I guess it doesn't really bother me, because they are so easy to work with and touch-up. I would love to see SOG use D2, or one of the good carbon steels.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top