Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2005 7:28:54 AM EDT
Anyone know what the big difference is between the two?

They look pretty much the same aside from price.

New Wave

Surge

The scissors look a little biggero n the Surge... beyond that I'm not sure what the biggest difference is, unless it's more in the construction and materials used or something.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:26:20 AM EDT
[#1]
The Surge is about 4 ounces heavier and has interchangable file and saw blades, stronger scisors, a couple of bit drivers, a laynard ring, stranded wire strippers, and a few others. I just purchased the Wave and find it to be just the right combinitation of size, price and features, without having too much stuff.

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:31:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Doesn't the new Wave also have bit drivers?

Can you explain the interchangable file/saw blade. I saw that on their site but it didn't make much sense.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:32:56 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
... I just purchased the Wave and find it to be just the right combinitation of size, price and features, without having too much stuff.

Yes, but is it "peerless?"

(J/K - I was just going to TAG this for the responses [genuinely curious] but saw you had posted & couldn't resist. )
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:00:33 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Get The Hell outta here!!  j/k
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:05:42 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I must have missed the thread that this joke is from...
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:31:51 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I must have missed the thread that this joke is from...

He's taunting me, but I'm busy researching the Wave and the Surge
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:58:34 PM EDT
[#7]
A quick visit over to BF revealed a lengthy discussion on the new Surge. You will have to register though to view.

www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=364550&highlight=surge

One of the big differences that isn't revealed in your pics is that the Surge is much larger than the Wave, therefore there is more strength in the pliers, the tools are bigger and there are more of them.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:47:26 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
A quick visit over to BF revealed a lengthy discussion on the new Surge. You will have to register though to view.
www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=364550&highlight=surge

Thanks for the link Brian...
Whoa!! That's a HUGE difference in the sizes.

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:20:24 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Thanks for the link Brian...
Whoa!! That's a HUGE difference in the sizes.

Now, If your deciding on which one to purchase, you know what to do.. BUY BOTH !!

I'm very happy with the Wave, it probably gets carried more because it isn't too big.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:09:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Don't buy Leathermen at all!!! It is a very ANIT-GUN company. Tim Leatherman was a HUGE supporter of John Kerry. He basicly told us gun owners to go F*** ourselves. It really hurt his busisness a bit and was talked about over on Bladeforums.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 12:43:01 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Don't buy Leathermen at all!!! It is a very ANIT-GUN company. Tim Leatherman was a HUGE supporter of John Kerry. He basicly told us gun owners to go F*** ourselves. It really hurt his busisness a bit and was talked about over on Bladeforums.

Sorry... I'm not very good at boycotting.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 3:11:43 PM EDT
[#12]
OT: A little Tim Leatherman bashing, I too won't buy any more of his tools, but unfortunately I have enought of them to last me at least a lifetime.  In defense of Mr. Leatherman, did replace a flat blade scewdriver on my Leatherman I, because I was stupid and used it to pry with, and broke off the tip.

I carry the Wave, it is good compromise between the number of tools and weight.  Knife blade lenght is not an issue because I also carry a Benchmade Strikyer 910.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:13:29 AM EDT
[#13]
UPDATE: I picked up a Surge yesterday. What a beast this sucker is. It's quite a bit bigger and you feel the difference.

It's still got that "new tightness". I love the scissors on the outside. The swap-out blade/file is pretty sweet. It comes with a little sleeve to put them in and stick them in the carrying pouch.

Overall it's pretty sweet. I have an older Wave... and if I had to choose between the two I'm not sure which way I'd go. I think I still like the size and weight of the Wave a little better.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 3:28:53 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
UPDATE: I picked up a Surge yesterday. What a beast this sucker is. It's quite a bit bigger and you feel the difference.

It's still got that "new tightness". I love the scissors on the outside. The swap-out blade/file is pretty sweet. It comes with a little sleeve to put them in and stick them in the carrying pouch.

Overall it's pretty sweet. I have an older Wave... and if I had to choose between the two I'm not sure which way I'd go. I think I still like the size and weight of the Wave a little better.

Pics man, Pics!!
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:37:14 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

+1

Don't feed the hand that screws you.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 4:30:11 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
+1
Don't feed the hand that screws you.

Odds are you feed so many hands that screw you in any given day without realizing it that at least when you buy the Leatherman you get a sweet tool.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top