Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 11/10/2014 1:09:04 AM EDT
Just wondering about these two models of 50cal rifles. 82A1 is about 3k cheaper but it is older design.

Is the M107A1 worth the extra price tag? Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 1:19:17 AM EDT
[#1]
In my opinion, NO for either model.

While I greatly appreciate all that Ronnie Barrett and family has done for the Sport, his product is over-priced.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 2:01:40 AM EDT
[#2]
That depends. Do you want to use a suppressor later on? If yes, or even a maybe, get the 107.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In my opinion, NO for either model.

While I greatly appreciate all that Ronnie Barrett and family has done for the Sport, his product is over-priced.
View Quote

I haven't seen a single semi-auto 50 that I wouldn't consider overpriced...

I compared the price of my 99 to the AR-50. If you paid MSRP for the AR-50 and got the same case, scope, rings I got and the Armalite bipod, it would've been more expensive than my brand new tan 99. Does that mean the AR-50 is overpriced? My 99 was also sighted in since I ordered it with the scope and rings. That saved me $40+.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 11:08:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Just wondering about these two models of 50cal rifles. 82A1 is about 3k cheaper but it is older design.

View Quote

If your mind is set on those 2, get the 82A1 and save the extra money. You are still getting the same rifle with just a few frills left off.
Both are ridiculously overpriced. Look at the Serbu 50. It has a fixed barrel, gas operated and much better accuracy. Yes, I've worked at both places and really like the Serbu semi auto 50.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 3:10:09 AM EDT
[#4]
It may be overpriced, but it is a piece of history. To me it has been worth every penny. Accuracy is decent for my needs and reliability is tested and proven.

Link Posted: 11/12/2014 8:16:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

If your mind is set on those 2, get the 82A1 and save the extra money. You are still getting the same rifle with just a few frills left off.
Both are ridiculously overpriced. Look at the Serbu 50. It has a fixed barrel, gas operated and much better accuracy. Yes, I've worked at both places and really like the Serbu semi auto 50.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Serbu is more finicky with ammo though right?
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 1:38:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Not that I experienced.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 8:46:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd get the 82A1.  I have seen some for $6750 nib recently which is an awesome price compared to the 107a1.  There are more accurate rifles out there, but most people who have them aren't shooting in 1000 yd competitions.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 10:21:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'd get the 82A1.  I have seen some for $6750 nib recently which is an awesome price compared to the 107a1.  There are more accurate rifles out there, but most people who have them aren't shooting in 1000 yd competitions.
View Quote

Something tells me that there's more than the weight difference and ability to suppress.  I get 1.5-2" groups out of my M107A1 with M33 ball.  I can only get about 2.5" groups with the same ammo on my old man's M82.

Nothing prettier than the 107a1 in FDE.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 6:54:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Something tells me that there's more than the weight difference and ability to suppress.  I get 1.5-2" groups out of my M107A1 with M33 ball.  I can only get about 2.5" groups with the same ammo on my old man's M82.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting, first heard of an accuracy difference. Doesn't surprise me being new design and all.

Currently have the 82 and really like it. It is an very reliable and made of a steel and heavy. The 107 is lighter and they (Barrett) claim is stronger. With that being said if I did it all over again would go with the 107

Thermal cheek guard on the 107 would be wonderful, the 82 will burn your cheek after being in the sun a while. It also cold in the winter putting your cheek on a big piece of steel for a few mins
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 8:19:40 PM EDT
[#10]
I never heard of an accuracy difference either, but the 107A1 gets a chromed lined barrel. The 82 does not, from what I have read.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 8:33:48 PM EDT
[#11]
107 has spiked pod feet
different extractor(stronger to throw the spent shell further) spring

Link Posted: 11/15/2014 11:32:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I never heard of an accuracy difference either, but the 107A1 gas a chromed lined barrel. The 82 does not, from what I have read.
View Quote

The 82 CQ 20" has the chromed barrel but the 29" just gets the chamber chromed.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 4:33:58 PM EDT
[#13]
For that kind of price I would just get the 82. Depending of the price difference I would use the difference to buy a nice optic and other needed accessories.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 9:06:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My brother has Serbu, I have Barretts.
We went shooting last month, Serbu jammed 2 times out of 10. Barrett was 100% reliable.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 7:53:42 PM EDT
[#15]
I have the M82.

Only reason I could personally justify going with the 107 over the 82 is if you want to suppress it.

Otherwise the small improvements are not really worth the extra coin to me.  That said they are both expensive guns for folks with generally deeper pockets so the couple extra grand for the newest version/toy on the block is probably worth it to a lot of folks to have the latest and greatest.

My Barrett has been 100% reliable. over the years.    I don't think I have ever had a failure to feed or extract in the years I have owned it shooting new American made lake city or barrett mfg ammo.  (personally I have never shot anything but those two brands)

That said I have seen both Barretts and Serbu's have  issues.   Granted the one Barrett I have seen with reliability problems the guy was using his own reloads that appeared to be incorrectly sized as he would have to jam the cartridge in and yank on the handle to get it out.  (Made a bit nervous with a guy next to me yanking back and forth on the changing handle like that...seemed like a recipe for something bad to happen)  The Serbu just seemed to never be able to reliably spit out the spent empty brass.

Link Posted: 12/13/2014 7:08:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have the M82.

Only reason I could personally justify going with the 107 over the 82 is if you want to suppress it.

Otherwise the small improvements are not really worth the extra coin to me.  That said they are both expensive guns for folks with generally deeper pockets so the couple extra grand for the newest version/toy on the block is probably worth it to a lot of folks to have the latest and greatest.

My Barrett has been 100% reliable. over the years.    I don't think I have ever had a failure to feed or extract in the years I have owned it shooting new American made lake city or barrett mfg ammo.  (personally I have never shot anything but those two brands)

That said I have seen both Barretts and Serbu's have  issues.   Granted the one Barrett I have seen with reliability problems the guy was using his own reloads that appeared to be incorrectly sized as he would have to jam the cartridge in and yank on the handle to get it out.  (Made a bit nervous with a guy next to me yanking back and forth on the changing handle like that...seemed like a recipe for something bad to happen)  The Serbu just seemed to never be able to reliably spit out the spent empty brass.

View Quote

Couple that with the numerous QC issues that accompany a serbu  and the Barrett is a no brainer.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 8:02:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Either is a dream rifle for me... If I don't buy any guns for a year, I could use the money saved on the older Barrett! But wait... Have there been others that have seen increased accuracy with the new model? What could they have done to improve that? I thought they just added a different muzzle brake and manufacture parts of the gun out of titanium or aluminum instead of steel.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 11:38:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Either is a dream rifle for me... If I don't buy any guns for a year, I could use the money saved on the older Barrett! But wait... Have there been others that have seen increased accuracy with the new model? What could they have done to improve that? I thought they just added a different muzzle brake and manufacture parts of the gun out of titanium or aluminum instead of steel.
View Quote

From what I've read, suppressors are a no go on the 82. Maybe it has something to do with design changes in the action.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 1:36:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

From what I've read, suppressors are a no go on the 82. Maybe it has something to do with design changes in the action.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They make a factory suppressor now but you were correct on the older guns. I would like to shoot one and see how it is sound and recoil wise.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 11:43:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Has our own military even adopted the new M107A1 and suppressor yet?
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 7:08:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Good question, anyone know the answer?
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 4:44:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes they have different variants in service.  

OP I would go for the 107 just for the incase you want the suppressor later on.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 8:13:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks, and, I agree with his advice OP
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 7:58:26 PM EDT
[#24]
The Army bought a few 107a1's for testing as the 107 contract is fulfilled. The only real difference is the aluminum upper. We played with that long ago when I was there. It never really went anywhere. Looks like they decided to rehash it as "new".
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 12:09:43 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The Army bought a few 107a1's for testing as the 107 contract is fulfilled. The only real difference is the aluminum upper. We played with that long ago when I was there. It never really went anywhere. Looks like they decided to rehash it as "new".
View Quote

Any durability issues back then?
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 12:16:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Did you guys notice any differences besides the 5lb weight difference? Like for accuracy?

Doubt I'll be able to find a M107A1 and M82 comparison video on youtube lol.

I've always wanted a Barrett... and I'm slowly creeping close with my savings. Hoping to get one within another 10-12 months now so I'm trying to keep an eye on these M82 vs M107A1 topics. Hell... I need to decide between 20" or 29" barrel!
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 4:42:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No. The upper was actually straighter because there was no welding done to it to wrap it, then straightening needed after stress relieving the welds of the upper an lower. The lower still needed to be straightened though before machining. I usually got stuck on that shitty job at the straightening jig after they came back from stress relief.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 4:46:56 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Did you guys notice any differences besides the 5lb weight difference? Like for accuracy?

Doubt I'll be able to find a M107A1 and M82 comparison video on youtube lol.

I've always wanted a Barrett... and I'm slowly creeping close with my savings. Hoping to get one within another 10-12 months now so I'm trying to keep an eye on these M82 vs M107A1 topics. Hell... I need to decide between 20" or 29" barrel!
View Quote

There wasn't much accuracy difference between the 2. It had to do between the barrel to upper fitting. Some guys took the easy route and hoped a barrel slid right in. I always picked a barrel that needed lapping in for a tighter fit so it would be a bit more accurate.
They have a machine that laps them in now.  Takes away the experience of the human touch to say "almost there.......done"
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:04:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Get an 82A1. I shot a 12-1/8” group with my 82A1 and handloaded IMI M33 Ball at 1,000 yards. Don Cook and Tony White at Barrett range selected my 82A1 and I have done a little trigger work.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:11:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Get an 82A1. I shot a 12-1/8” group with my 82A1 and handloaded IMI M33 Ball at 1,000 yards. Don Cook and Tony White at Barrett range selected my 82A1 and I have done a little trigger work.

http://www.fototime.com/B9078F25F6A760F/large.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/F214D44FC7BEB57/large.jpg
View Quote

Good shooting for an 82A1.
Your welcome.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:09:16 PM EDT
[#31]
240grains of H50 powder with an M33 projectile is a stout load!  

Good shooting!  

TZZ brass is some of it he best you can get.
Every piece I've got (bought a bunch of virgin back in the day) is perfect, beautiful brass.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 6:10:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Beautiful gun and shooting!

What do you mean by range selected though? They hand selected a barrett out for you??
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:30:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

What do you mean by range selected though? They hand selected a barrett out for you??
View Quote

I did it a few times for customers. Got me in trouble a few times too.  I didn't care.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:56:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Beautiful gun and shooting!

View Quote

Thanks. I had a 82A1 that had major problems and they decided to give me a new gun and Tony made sure I got a good shooter.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:57:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I did it a few times for customers. Got me in trouble a few times too.  I didn't care.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tony,

Thanks so much for picking a good shooter for me. I have not fired the 82A1 since 2010 and will most likely sell it when I have time. My retinologist found a hole and a tear in my left eye back in 2011 and I have been hesitant to shoot it. I am getting up there in years and it is not uncommon for the vitreous to tear the retina as it liquefies. I don’t think shooting the 82A1 caused it, but it might not be smart to shoot it now. I did have a M3 tripod and soft mount for the 82A1, but I sold the tripod and all my 50 BMG ammo in crates to a NFA dealer this past weekend. A Barrette shooter in Texas bought the soft mount.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:22:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
240grains of H50 powder with an M33 projectile is a stout load!  

Good shooting!  

TZZ brass is some of it he best you can get.
Every piece I've got (bought a bunch of virgin back in the day) is perfect, beautiful brass.
View Quote

Thanks. 240 gr is the max loading for 645 gr ball bullets. I started with 230 gr and the 645 gr ball was going subsonic and key holing the target at 1,000 yards. The same thing happened at 233 gr and 235 gr. With the 238gr load the bullets stayed supersonic and the first round hit about 10 o’clock at the edge of the outer black ring. My friend gave me the windage and elevation corrections and I was able to put the third shot in the x-ring.

I am only using 240 gr with the 645 gr IMI Ball and Lehigh Solid Ball. I did not find the 645 gr IMI Ball unpleasant to shoot at 240 gr and there were no excessive pressure signs. Dave from Lehigh recommended 240 gr for his 645 gr Solid Ball and I suspect this is to keep them stable at 1,000 yards. The BC for Ball is not great.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:23:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Tony,

Thanks so much for picking a good shooter for me. I have not fired the 82A1 since 2010 and will most likely sell it when I have time. My retinologist found a hole and a tear in my left eye back in 2011 and I have been hesitant to shoot it. I am getting up there in years and it is not uncommon for the vitreous to tear the retina as it liquefies. I don’t think shooting the 82A1 caused it, but it might not be smart to shoot it now. I did have a M3 tripod and soft mount for the 82A1, but I sold the tripod and all my 50 BMG ammo in crates to a NFA dealer this past weekend. A Barrette shooter in Texas bought the soft mount.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tony,

Glad you liked you it.
Sorry to hear about your eye problems. With your furnished target, you should have no problem getting your money back on it.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top