Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2014 2:32:19 PM EDT
I am looking at scopes for my zel custom single shot 50 bmg.

For recoilst shots will be less then 600 yards so I do not need a over the top scope

Right  now I am looking for a lower line scope that can handle a 50 bmg, would like to keep the price around $500
Can  any one offer insight as to what scopes will not fail due to recoil on my new toy?

I am looking ar the bushnell line of scopes.

Link Posted: 6/3/2014 3:21:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 3:21:52 PM EDT
[#2]
The Bushnell Elite Tactical are great scopes for the money. Decent glass and can take the 50's recoil. I had one on my 50, the 3.5-21 x 50mm HDMR and really liked it. Found a screaming deal on a Leupold Mark 6 though so I'm probably going to sell the Bushy as there is a Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42 that's been calling to me.

Also checkout SWFA Super Sniper line. I believe that Bushnell Elites and the Super Sniper lines are still made in Japan (not China) by LOW. The Vortex PST line is slightly more money but have more features. All these will survive the 50's recoil and have replacement warranties. I think you could find a nice used Leupold Mark 4 for under $500.
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 3:25:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I have used the Konus M30 series with great success can not attest to their cheaper offerings but it has held up well on my .50 I also have one on my LR308 and a 1-4 on my 3 gun rifle.
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 3:41:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I am thinking about using 3 to 4 rings and lap them to reduce  the flex of the scope tube under recoil..
Anyone use more then 2 rings
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 3:53:51 PM EDT
[#5]
You could do that but another option would be to use the extra wide, 50 cal style rings available that can handle any scope flex/recoil. Badger Max 50, Seekins 4 x 6 heavy rings etc.
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 6:27:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You could do that but another option would be to use the extra wide, 50 cal style rings available that can handle any scope flex/recoil. Badger Max 50, Seekins 4 x 6 heavy rings etc.
View Quote

This^^^^^ I used the Seekins 6/4 rings
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 6:45:15 PM EDT
[#7]
I just ordered SWFA 20x42 (http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-20x42-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P502.aspx) and theses rings (http://swfa.com/Seekins-Precision-Scope-30mm-Rings-P47912.aspx), for my safety harbor 50 BMG. Low cost until I decide later If I need better.
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 9:19:08 PM EDT
[#8]
No matter what rings you get (well so long as they are the better type rated for 50BMG). I would suggest that you mount the rings as close as you can to the bells and not the turrets for elev and windage. The bells are the heaviest and most likely to whip around from the recoil. So get your support as close to the bells, will do the most good.
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 11:37:11 PM EDT
[#9]
iirc in the past the recommended scopes that held up were:
Super Sniper
Burris Black Diamond
Leupold MK 4
Nightforce

ymmv

and as mentioned above use good mounts/rings like the Max 50
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 9:57:53 PM EDT
[#10]
I've been happy with my Millett LRS.  About three K rounds so far without problems.
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 12:27:59 PM EDT
[#11]
I've been happy so far with my SWFA SS 20x with Barrett rings.

I've even used a Leupold 3x9x40 Rifleman that I got at Walmart on the 50 BMG. I called Leupold and they said all their gold rings scopes will handle a 50 BMG. I've since moved that scope (I call it my temp scope) to my Sig 716 308.

Like I said, the Leupold is now on my Sig 716

Link Posted: 6/10/2014 10:52:48 AM EDT
[#12]
This is what I am starting to gather, let me know if my train of thought is correct.

Basically any mid to upper range scope will hold up provided good rings are used to keep it from twisting under recoil.

My idea of 3 to 4 rings should keep it from twisting.  I am also going to use rubber cement in the rings to prevent slipping
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 1:13:27 PM EDT
[#13]
It's the sudden reverse of recoil acceleration that usually kills the inexpensive scopes.  Flex, is probably secondary.  Slipping and lack of sufficient eye relief will hurt you... ;)

Link Posted: 6/10/2014 4:27:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
This is what I am starting to gather, let me know if my train of thought is correct.

Basically any mid to upper range scope will hold up provided good rings are used to keep it from twisting under recoil.

My idea of 3 to 4 rings should keep it from twisting.  I am also going to use rubber cement in the rings to prevent slipping
View Quote

Barrett rings are zero gap. My scope does not move inside my Barrett rings. Might want to give them a look.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 3:23:39 PM EDT
[#15]
I've had good luck with the millet LRS 6-25.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 10:07:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Burris Black Diamond with Burris extreme tactical mounts working well for me.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:01:22 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Hate to say this but no scope has ever lasted forever on a .50 rifle, the constant pounding a scope takes in both directions and the flex on the tube from the recoil takes it toll over time.

About the best scope in your price range is the super sniper from SWFA, they run about $300 and do okay on .50's. Customer service and warranty are the two best things to check out, if both are good, that's a plus.
View Quote

How many rounds does a SWFA SS 20x Mil scope typically last?

What has been the longest lasting scope typically on a 50 BMG?

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 9:03:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 1:26:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I guess it would depend on the rifle, MrBen's Serbu BFG destroyed his Tasco SS in about 500 rounds if I remember correctly. We were laughing at the crosshairs being canted from the recoil.  There used to be a lot more posts about this on Biggerhammer, back when the board first started and it was the best place for info. Many posts about the super sniper scopes going tits up.

To date from what I hear, Nightforce scopes have the best record on .50's but have still failed over time. No piece of equipment can take that kind of abuse and not fail at some point in time. That's why you should check the feedback on the companies quality control, customer service and warranty service on their products.
View Quote

Yep... my SS 20x scope lasted 520rnds on my 29" 26lb Serbu.  I replaced it with a Leupold 6.5x20 (not enough eye relief), then the current NXS 5.5-22.
The SS20x was repaired under warranty and has since lived happily on a friends heavier 36" heavy barrel Serbu with another couple hundred rounds on it since being rebuilt.  I just shipped another 165rnds of DTC ammo to him, so we'll be seeing if it's still holding up in a few weeks.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 3:14:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Since this is a because I can have it rifle and not for any real reason I doubt it will see 1000 full power rounds in its life. Now if I can get low power cast bullets to work well then it may see a steady diet of them.
That is why I am looking for the lowest price scope I can get away with. If I have to send it in for replacement after 500 full power rounds I won't be too upset. I am still thinking the Bushnell elite scope.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 1:29:47 PM EDT
[#21]
I have over 4000 rounds fired with my Leupold Mark 4 8.5X25X50 scope on my AR-50.
My backup Leupold Mark 4 8.5x25x50 has 1500 rounds after being initially used on my SA rifle.
I used an Osprey International scope, 10X40X50X30mm, for over 700 rounds on my SA Shorty.
It failed now, at our last FCSA match. I have been given a RMA# for free repair or replacement. Not bad for a $119 scope as purchased from NatchezzSS several years ago. My backup Osprey is on that rifle now.

Your hear stories about NightForce and Leupolds failures, its because of the extremely high percentage of these scopes being used on 50's and mostly without proper rings.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 3:16:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Anyone try the Leupold rifleman scopes?
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 9:25:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've had good luck out of the VXIII line and MK4 AS WELL, fwiw.
Hadn't tried the rifleman.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 11:33:17 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View Quote

See a few posts above. I had a Leupold Rifleman 3x9x40 on my AR50-A1B for at least 75 rounds with zero issues, and then I moved it to my Sig Sauer 716 7.62x51/.308 with no issues at all thus far.

I even called Leupold and they said all their Gold Ring scopes were OK for 50 BMG rifles.

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top