Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2011 8:43:24 PM EDT
Looking to suppress the Armalite AR50A1 with a AAC Cyclops. Wondering if anyone has. How much work was it to switch the muzzle brakes. Review of performance with standard ammo and subs, felt recoil, dust signature and concussion in general, effect accuracy???
Link Posted: 9/15/2011 9:47:30 AM EDT
[#1]
A good friend of mine suppressed his AR-50 with the AWC Turbodyne.

Its a hoot to shoot, and you can actually shoot it without hearing protection. I still use plugs to be safe, but I don't think the noise level is damaging. I cannot remember what the dB meter said though.

The AR-50 is easy to suppress.

Just use a torch to heat the break up, then back the lack nut off and spin the brake off. You will need to heat it, as the red loctite is a total PITA if you don't, and you can actually spin the barrel in the action if you just munch on it.

The AR-50 brake is great at recoil reduction, so the recoil does go up with a suppressor. Be careful to not cut your eyebrow the first time you shoot it suppressed.
Link Posted: 9/15/2011 10:47:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I will be putting a AAC can on my AR50 when I get home in a month or so.
Link Posted: 9/15/2011 7:35:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Why the AAC? Just because its more expensive?
Link Posted: 9/15/2011 8:26:45 PM EDT
[#4]
No not really. I have heard good things about AAC. I am open to suggestions if you have others. I just want it too be a quick detach model. Other than that it doesnt matter. The cheaper the better as long as there is good quality and it works. Why the quick detach. Because that is what i want. Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 12:09:44 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why the AAC? Just because its more expensive?

Yeah becuase I like to waste money What kind of jerkoff response was that?

I got it becuase its QD and it is one of the quietest cans tested. I have a couple threaded cans for other smaller guns and don't really like them that much. The POI changes ever so slightly when you change them out, they also make any weapon hard to transport.

I could have spend about half to get a can that will kill the blast but not have as good of suppression, really not into doing things half assed though. I also have more than one 50, so its a lot easier to swap between guns. I have the quietest 50 can available, now I can take my kids to shoot and not worry as much about hearing damage.

I also have about 15 other cans and I only buy quality/quiet/QD. AAC offers the best cans with those 3 qualities. I have shot against other cans in multiple calibers and have yet to change my mind.  

Link Posted: 9/16/2011 4:36:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I didn't realize they had done formal testing. $3000 for a can seems like a gouge no matter how big it is. If I get one, I'll likely approach Liberty, Degroat, or another custom shop to see what they can do as I just can't justify the expense. Reading around the AWC thundertrap does seem notably louder and twice as heavy.
Link Posted: 9/17/2011 5:26:20 PM EDT
[#7]
The AAC can is the best 50 can on the market. Great choice. Be sure and post video when you get it together.
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 5:04:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I've heard some very good things about the Elite Iron .50 can.

I contacted Armalite and this is the can they recommended for my AR50.  I also spoke with Dale at Elite Iron and he was more than happy to talk shop with me.

If I don't build one myself, I will certainly buy one from Dale when the time comes. They are also about half the price of the AAC.

http://www.eliteiron.net/elite-iron-suppressors-page1.html

Here's the Armalite recommendation:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_27/200455_Suppressor_for_the_AR50__.html
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 11:41:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Its a hoot to shoot, and you can actually shoot it without hearing protection. I still use plugs to be safe, but I don't think the noise level is damaging. I cannot remember what the dB meter said though.

Just use a torch to heat the break up, then back the lack nut off and spin the brake off. You will need to heat it, as the red loctite is a total PITA if you don't, and you can actually spin the barrel in the action if you just munch on it.

The AR-50 brake is great at recoil reduction, so the recoil does go up with a suppressor. Be careful to not cut your eyebrow the first time you shoot it suppressed.

Pretty sure I know the guy your talking about.  He came to several FCSA matches in Raton a few years ago.  Atleast the AWC Turbodyne was what he was using on his AR50.  Can't recall his name.

-David
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 2:32:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I didn't realize they had done formal testing. $3000 for a can seems like a gouge no matter how big it is. If I get one, I'll likely approach Liberty, Degroat, or another custom shop to see what they can do as I just can't justify the expense. Reading around the AWC thundertrap does seem notably louder and twice as heavy.

they will charge more...

I own all of the CNC machines and tools and I couldn't really form one a can for what I could buy my AAC for. not that compared in material and sound suppression... I'm waiting on paperwork now for my Cyclops.

I also fired the cyclops next the the AWC and the EI. the AAC was and will forever be, THE BETTER CAN!

the testing has proven it. AAC just make a better can in almost every size range. (Except .45 and 22lr, osprey wins those).
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 8:03:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty sure I know the guy your talking about.  He came to several FCSA matches in Raton a few years ago.  Atleast the AWC Turbodyne was what he was using on his AR50.  Can't recall his name.

-David

That may well be him. He has shot several matches with it suppressed.

I still think it is the quietest .50 suppressor that is available.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 10:16:09 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I still think it is the quietest .50 suppressor that is available.

Is this from firing it? Last I heard it was not hearing safe, did they change it? Does anyone else make a hearing safe can for the 50 that has been tested(not by the company)?

Link Posted: 9/26/2011 2:55:42 PM EDT
[#13]
From firing it and we did have a dB meter there, but I cannot for the life of me remember what it read.

All I know is we were in a dug out range, with a roof over us, and it really didn't seem loud enough. When we went out into the bushes a little further it was quieter as we did not have sound reflecting back at us from the target boards or the dirt mounds.

In my opinion, having been at some .50 shoots, the AWC has been, too my ears, the quietest can on a bolt rifle.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 6:34:53 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a used AWC for AR50 I will sell you cheap, don't have the rifle anymore, email me.
It has 20 rds fired from it.

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top