Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 7/25/2011 11:17:37 AM EDT
I would like some pics and info on 50 bmg uppers for ar15 lowers.
Link Posted: 7/25/2011 12:12:16 PM EDT
[#1]
ALS

They use a two lug bolt, free floating match barrel,  and have good match results. If you come across a used or older stock rifle check into their safety recall. $2300

Bohica Arms

The lowest priced of the true bolt-action uppers. They are decent quality, shoot well, but are nothing outstanding. Two lug bolt and an effective brake. According to the manufacturer currently in a "holding pattern" pending ATF review.  Some have issues with rough chambers, which the manufacturer will correct. The current MK-IV is the current version and probably the best. Starts at $1295.

Safety Harbor

Two lug bolt, non-floating barrel, available in single and mag-fed versions. Several barrel options and light in weight. Single shot $1950, mag fed $2450.

Tactilite

Single shot and mag-fed version. Two lug bolt, and full floating barrel (a few barrel options available). Single shot starts at $1898, mag fed at $2398

Ferret

IIRC the Ferret was the originator of a true bolt action upper. They use a 3 lug bolt (smoother action and less bolt throw than the 2 lug designs), full float barrel, and have a solid mechanical safety preventing an OOBD, as well as several barrel options. They have a solid reputation for accuracy. Uppers start at $2145.

Watson's Weapons

The first single shot upper. The rifle must be shot-gunned to remove the screw-in bolt with a hand crank. The receiver is a heavy duty aluminum AR-15 mated to a  target barrel. It is slow to load but solid and accurate. Price is $1349. I had one when it was the only choice for an affordable upper. Accurate gun, but loading/unloading gets old fast.

I've had experience with the Watson's and Bohica only, though have researched the rest. Check their sites for features/options and online for reviews.

Link Posted: 7/25/2011 12:17:06 PM EDT
[#2]
The general idea is that the .50bmg bolt-action upper uses the AR15 lower as a slave for a fire control group.  The buffer and spring is removed from the lower and the bolt retracts into the buffer tube when the action is open. It's highly recommended you do NOT use collapsible stocks with .50bmg uppers for obvious reasons.  There are several different companies out there that make them.  ALS, Ferrett, Safety Harbor, Bohica.  Bohica is currently undergoing some strangeness. They say the ATF has declared their uppers as "firearms" and have been ordered to stop producing/selling them?  No telling what's really going on.  Some makers have detachable magazines that attach on the side of the upper.

FWIW, here's an older picture of my Bohica Mk3 24" .50 upper.  Hindsight being 20/20, I recommend at least a 29-30 inch barrel for any .50bmg.
Link Posted: 7/25/2011 12:43:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I’m in the process of putting together a Tactilite T1 “duty” model with a 29-inch Lothar / Walther barrel with hybrid chamber.  I haven’t fired it yet, but I’ve added a set of Troy BUIS and may fire it before I save up enough for the scope.  The lower is a Spike’s with Stag LPK, Magpul PRS stock, Limbsaver butt pad, Ergo grip, and a lead-filled Magpul 20-rnd magazine.

I’ve wanted a .50 BMG for a long time and putting it together piece by piece is the only way I can do it as I’m living on a fixed income.  The hard part is that by the time I save enough money for the next part, something else comes along that I want even more so I wind up buying that and start to save up again.

I had hoped to have the bipod by now and be close to getting a scope, but I just couldn’t pass on the Yugo M57 Tokarev pistols when they were almost all gone.  I still expect to shoot it in the next few months, but will probably have to use the irons unless I run across a great deal on a NF NXS scope before I get out.
Link Posted: 7/25/2011 2:07:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice info there Rick_A!

I was thinking the guy should check google....
Link Posted: 7/25/2011 3:42:20 PM EDT
[#5]
That's true, but look into any forum about what the best upper is, and it's always the one they own at the time.

To the OP, another thing to consider is that a good, complete shell holder rifle from guys like Watson's, East Ridge, or Only Long Range (this one having a recoil-reducing and collapsible stock) as well as Armalite or Serbu bolt rifles will cost about the same as building an upper with a dedicated lower. Using an existing lower will call for some compromises. It will need a sturdy stock with a good recoil pad to be comfortable to shoot, as well as a heavy hammer, hammer spring, or both in order to reliably ignite most primers. In my case it made for a goofy looking short barreled AR with a full-length stock and huge recoil pad, with a trigger spring that added 1lb to the pull. I ended up building the 50 with the dedicated lower below. The most convenient thing about a 50bmg upper is the quick take down for transport/storage.  It's nice to be able to put it together in stages as finances allow as well.

It's a Bohica MKII of which I really like the integrated bipod design, but the cast receiver on these look pretty heinous. All other versions are machined.

The50 BMG Price List here is a good resource.
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 3:08:54 AM EDT
[#6]
OP I sent you a PM
Link Posted: 7/28/2011 8:20:57 PM EDT
[#7]
thanks i guess that covers the field...
Link Posted: 7/28/2011 8:23:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
OP I sent you a PM

I got it, I am currently unemployed and me and my dad are about to start the process of opening our own gun and tactical supply store in our town...Thanks for the offer.

Link Posted: 7/28/2011 9:01:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I went with the Bohica so I could afford a Nightforce 8-32X56 NXS scope with it.  I went with the Nightforce in case I wanted to purchase a BORES system for it.  I hope Chris gets things straightened out with the BATF.  I also have a stainless steel Bohica single shot lower for it.  I started with my Bushmaster Varminter lower but when I found the single shot lower I knew I had to have it.  I like the Magpul stock on it.  
Good luck on whatever you decide.

Link Posted: 7/28/2011 9:38:55 PM EDT
[#10]

I bought mine complete in the EE from another member. I didn't know if I wanted a .50 BMG rifle and thought I would buy a "cheap" one first before I committed to buying the M82A1 that I desire to own. I bought the Bohica and have put about 150-200 rounds through it. I'm currently saving up for the Barrett....

- Clint
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 6:13:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
http://i52.tinypic.com/nwbtkx.jpg

I bought mine complete in the EE from another member. I didn't know if I wanted a .50 BMG rifle and thought I would buy a "cheap" one first before I committed to buying the M82A1 that I desire to own. I bought the Bohica and have put about 150-200 rounds through it. I'm currently saving up for the Barrett....

- Clint

hey clint does bohica sell that front rail are is that a aftermarket rail for it.
Thanks
Bryan

Link Posted: 7/29/2011 8:42:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Bohica barrel nut is YHM compatible.
Link Posted: 7/30/2011 7:34:48 PM EDT
[#13]
One thing was obvious is that the Magpul PRS stock was an overwhelming favorite..
Link Posted: 7/30/2011 10:18:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
One thing was obvious is that the Magpul PRS stock was an overwhelming favorite..

I remember all of the "where can I get a recoil pad for my PRS" threads awhile back!
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 5:41:25 AM EDT
[#15]
I have owned a Ferret for many years now.  I emjoy it when I get a chance to shoot it, but finding a range has been my greatest obstacle.
Link Posted: 8/3/2011 11:00:08 AM EDT
[#16]
<Removed.  If you wish to promote your business here you must pay to advertise.  Answering technical questions is fine, but links to your site are not.  ––tbk1>
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 3:35:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://i52.tinypic.com/nwbtkx.jpg

- Clint

hey clint does bohica sell that front rail are is that a aftermarket rail for it.
Thanks
Bryan

Sorry, didn't see your post.... I was told that it is a complete Bohica rifle. The rail came from them as an upgrade. It certainly looks like a YHM product to me, but I can't say!

- Clint

Link Posted: 8/6/2011 4:53:22 PM EDT
[#18]
The current Bohica's come with a barrel nut threaded for YHM hand guards.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top