Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 6/22/2011 9:11:11 AM EDT
Question for you guys who are good at the ballistics programs.  For my new AR50 I put on an older vari-x III 6.5-20.  I have a 15 MOA rail, the scope has 44 moa total travel.  So when centered that leaves me  22 plus 15 = 37 MOA.  Shooting milsurp ball and with a 200 yard zero, how far can I dial?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 10:34:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Question for you guys who are good at the ballistics programs.  For my new AR50 I put on an older vari-x III 6.5-20.  I have a 15 MOA rail, the scope has 44 moa total travel.  So when centered that leaves me  22 plus 15 = 37 MOA.  Shooting milsurp ball and with a 200 yard zero, how far can I dial?

Thanks.

If....I understand your question, it takes me approximately 22-23 minutes of elevation from 300 to 1000yds with a 750 AMAX.

So figure 2 minutes from 200 to 300 leaves 35 minutes on your scope.

You can get to around 1200 yds or so with your setup at max elevation.

Are you sure that 44 MOA total or 44 MOA up and down.
Mine has way more than 44 MOA.

Link Posted: 6/22/2011 12:19:08 PM EDT
[#2]
In the real world you never land half way between minimum and maximum scope adjustment.   I have to say the answer to how far can you dial with that scope is  NOT FAR ENOUGH.  Long range guns need about 100 moa of internal adjustment in the scope more is better but only a few have enough.   SWFA's Super Sniper scopes tend to have enough most Mk 4 leupolds have enough but not all and most Nightforce scopes have enough. Others that will have enough adjustment are Heinsoldt,  S&B, Premier, U.S. Optics.  The problem with a 50 BMG is that everything for it gets expensive and you really need to be running glass that has lots of internal adjustment.
Hot Link
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 12:35:58 PM EDT
[#3]
The scope is an older Vari-X III 6.5-20x40 1" tube duplex reticle.  I emailed Leupold and they stated it has 44 MOA total.

As far as needing more, if I can indeed dial past 1000 yards, that would be fine for now.  I am eyeing the new Sightron SIII MOA/MOA 8-32 and it has 70 moa, plus I could always get a 30 moa base.  

Thanks for your help.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 1:07:33 PM EDT
[#4]
You only get 44MOA if the windage is centered. You lose quite a bit as you dial in side to side.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top