Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2006 11:53:32 AM EDT
hi there, i bought a 99 about a year ago over a different's forum's equipment exchange and enjoy shooting it quite a bit, but i've always admired the 82a1 and was wondering if it is worth it to upgrade from the single shot bolt action to the semi auto.  also i've been gone for the past 7 months, deployed to iraq, and haven't heard too much about if they're still trying to ban the .50 cals can somebody enlighten me on the progress if there was any.

thank you
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 1:14:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I am sure there are dozens of plans to ban them by other most tolerant party.  There is no legislation that I know of.  I have the 99a1 and if I could afford it I would buy the 82cq in a heart beat and keep the 99.  Do what you can afford.  I on the other hand bought the m-99 even though I lost some of my income, just because shit happens.  

A fellow posted on here," 1985 is calling, don't you wish you would have bought those machine guns now?"  That is when the plastic came out. No regrets this time.

Thanks for your service to our confused country, but the best on earth.

Bob
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 2:12:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Keep in mind that there's going to be a significant accuracy difference between the two.  It's not a big deal at close ranges, but if you're shooting at 1,000 yards+ you will appreciate the bolt action.  Add the velocity loss with the shorter barrel, and you're looking at a significantly reduced effective range.    
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 2:25:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a 99 and AR50... a couple of more months I'll have enough for an M82... it's not the ideal time for me to buy one.... In fact it's a stupid time in my life to buy.. .. selling my house in 8 months, exteremely high liklihood of getting engaged this Christmas and married next year.... but I am buying one in January.... I just hope they don't start skyrocketing in price in the next few months....
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 5:21:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I would want both. The bolt for overall accuracy and the m82a1 for... hell I dont know, but you understand why- I dont have to explain it this crowd.

These are .mil issued weapons, not a 'civilian' version, thats cool to me. + If they do get banned, these will be the Creme de la Creme of the .50's. One thing that can be said is that if the 50 ban happens, a lot of 50 manufacturers are going out of business. Barrett will probably still be around.
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 6:11:39 PM EDT
[#5]
i appreciate everybody's 2 cents, since i have the money now i think i might just go for it, it's not like you could ever lose any money on it and ever since i first saw one i've dreamed of owning one
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 6:28:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I personally would go for the M95.  You get bolt action precison with the detachable mag.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 5:11:52 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
A fellow posted on here," 1985 is calling, don't you wish you would have bought those machine guns now?"  That is when the plastic came out. No regrets this time.

Dead Nuts.  If there is a ban, the model 82 is going to rocket in price.  I bought one on the same premise as the above quote.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 7:50:08 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I would want both. The bolt for overall accuracy and the m82a1 for... hell I dont know, but you understand why- I dont have to explain it this crowd.

These are .mil issued weapons, not a 'civilian' version, thats cool to me. + If they do get banned, these will be the Creme de la Creme of the .50's. One thing that can be said is that if the 50 ban happens, a lot of 50 manufacturers are going out of business. Barrett will probably still be around.

Not true at all.

The .mil version is stamped M107
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 7:53:33 PM EDT
[#9]
HELL YEAH, i juat sold my m-99 barrett and getting a m82a1!!!!!!!

GO FOR IT YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE.

SEMPER FI
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 8:01:11 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not true at all.

only recently and Barrett said that a lot still go out marked M82A1 regardless of the customer.

The .mil version is stamped M107
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 9:45:52 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
only recently and Barrett said that a lot still go out marked M82A1 regardless of the customer.

All the same, your wife has a very nice .50 BMG rifle!  
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top